Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I would love to see "Way Out" (1961 TV series) on DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 679 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted August 10 2003 - 01:09 PM

C'mon, there were only 14 half hour episodes. I loved these when I was a kid. Anyone else remember them?
My DVDs

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   Phil Dally

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 04:06 PM

Is this the series where the astronauts go back in time to caveman days where the cavewoman is played by Imogene Coco? Being born in 1959 I barely BARELY remember. I must have been entertained though.
My DVD Collection

http://www.dvdprofil....?alias=pedally

What goes good with Home Theaters?http://store.yahoo.c....c2 index.html

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 05:34 PM

The show was done live and some Kinescopes are floating around in the hands of collectors now. As I hear, there were also video masters made as well. David Suskind, the producer of the show, had a son who turned all the existing material over to the Museum of Television and Radio. From what I've heard, it's been extremely difficult between them, CBS and the Roal Dahl estate to get them released.
-J. Theakston

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 679 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted August 10 2003 - 05:37 PM

Here's a good web site about it that I found:

http://www.imagesjou...eatures/wayout/
My DVDs

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 12:07 AM

Phil Dally wrote (post #2):

Quote:

Is this the series where the astronauts go back in time to caveman days where the cavewoman is played by Imogene Coco?

No, that was the kitschy, short-lived, and, I must say, hardly lamented It's about Time (1966-'67).

Please see the (duplicate) threads (but with different respondents) "Way Out" from CBS/Paramount (December 2001) and "Way Out" from CBS/Paramount (November 2001). There I summarize the program and its brief history.

Jack Theakston wrote (post #3):

Quote:

The show was done live and some Kinescopes are floating around in the hands of collectors now. As I hear, there were also video masters made as well. David Suskind, the producer of the show, had a son who turned all the existing material over to the Museum of Television and Radio. From what I've heard, it's been extremely difficult between them, CBS and the Roald Dahl estate to get them released.

I have never gotten an answer from either CBS Home Video (pre-merger) or Paramount Home Video (including Mr. Martin Blythe) about any knowledge of or interest in this program. The MTR told me several years ago that the rights to the show are owned and controlled by Andrew Susskind through his company "Pamadisam" (spelling???) (run from his home in Los Angeles???). I wrote "Pamadisam" about the programming several years back, but have never received a reply whatsoever.

Randy_M wrote (post #4):

Quote:

Here's a good web site about it that I found: . . . .

I have listed the seven Web sites (some of them duplicates, content-wise) I know of, including yours, at the tvshowsondvd.com Website links page for Way Out. That includes the long version of the article from FilmFAX, "'Way Out': Inside the Dahl House of Horror" and a link to some screenshots of Dick Smith's make-up for the show.

That's all I know, folks. We might try asking Martin Blythe whether Paramount/CBS Home Video would have any interest in reäcquiring video and cable rights to the show, but I doubt they would be interested. What would it cost to restore neglected tapes from that era---assuming the material is even restorable---and what, if any, would be the prospects of return on investment in such an enterprise? Not good, I think.

In any event, I have received no response to any of my various earlier inquiries to any of the parties concerned, and I believe the prospects you will aren't good, either.

Don't hold your breath.

"Delenda est . . . . "

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted August 11 2003 - 03:57 AM

Thanks, Randy, for bringing back lots of creepy memories with that website. And the creepiest thing is: I was only six years old when I saw and enjoyed these episodes. What a weird little kid I must have been! --Bill

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 679 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted August 11 2003 - 05:00 AM

Bill, I was 11 in '61, so it was prime time for me... Maybe Paramount will revisit these shows after they use up their cash cows. Although, I really can't complain about this studio. They have gotten a large portion of my income recently... Randy
My DVDs

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   Raine Linton

Raine Linton

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 11:19 AM

I remember this show, it really creeped me out as a kid. There was this one episode where during a storm an old lady got a call from her husband...thing is...he'd been dead for some time. She kept getting calls from him night after night. One day she went out to his grave and a phone line had broken and landed on it. Back then it was really creepy.I'd like to see those episodes again too. Raine

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,946 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 11:27 AM

Raine, That was a Twilight Zone episode.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 11:40 AM

Raine Linton wrote (post #8):

Quote:

There was this one episode where during a storm an old lady got a call from her husband. . .

todd s wrote (post #9):

Quote:

That was a Twilight Zone episode.

"Night Call" (episode #139)

"Delenda est . . . . "

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 11:44 AM

I never saw this series, but, I would buy it. I purchased The Veil, which wasn't even aired and I loved that series.

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   Raine Linton

Raine Linton

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 11:59 PM

OOPS! sorry, my bad...but I do remember the series, along with One Step Beyond, and the Twilight Zone.

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 02:09 AM

Boris Karloff's "THRILLER" would be nice on disc.

(The one featuring Tom Poston & the fetching Elizabeth Montgomery is a fun tongue-in-cheek haunted-house tale.)

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   veritas01

veritas01

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 04:32 PM

Way Out scared the crap out of me as a kid. I Googled and I see there are 5episodes available on DVD. Looks like they are bootlegged and burned at home. I will probably take a stab and them. I recently bought the entire Thriller series that way and they were all burnt on plain DVDs. But so far they have played well and they are complete. I also bought season one of Hitchock Presents on Half.com. Those were licensed commericially created DVDs. It is amazing how well the stories carry over the years. Sure they are black and white and the clothing and everything else is dated but the suspense holds your attention and it transcends the years and still scares the crap out of me.

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 338 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted June 14 2009 - 06:11 PM

I remember the episode where a guy creates a way of making himself look younger using some sort of photo retouching device. I think one of the images on the Dick Smith link is from that episode. His wife finds out and pours some of the solution across his picture and when he turns to the camera part of his face is blanked out. That image stayed with me for decades. THRILLER used to run late at night on a local channel in the 60's and it too had its share of nightmare images. Funny how something like that has stayed with me for over forty five years.

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 06:47 PM

^^^ Much of the visual imagery from The Outer Limits (1963-65 series) has stayed with me for nearly forty-five years as well. I don't recall Way Out, except to say that when I searched some of the links Rex and others provided, I saw some images that were not unfamiliar to me -- almost as if they had been buried in the recesses of my mind from when I was a child.

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 413 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 08:23 PM

The weird thing is those 5 episodes have been making the rounds for 20 years and in that time none of the other episodes have surfaced. They are out there and you can watch them at the Museum of Television, but you would think copies would have started turning up by now. I think only kinescopes exist, so they couldn't really do much more then release them. There wouldn't be any need to "remaster" them since it would not improve the picture quality.

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 10:10 AM

I'd disagree with that. Doing new transfers on a Telecine over someone's 20-year-old film chain transfer would do a world of good. However, a number of people I've talked to are under the impression that the videotape on these shows still exist, and fooling around with Kinescopes would not be necessary.
-J. Theakston

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 413 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 08:53 PM

I was wondering has anybody seen an episode from the museum? Are they kinescope or film?

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Theakston
I'd disagree with that. Doing new transfers on a Telecine over someone's 20-year-old film chain transfer would do a world of good.

However, a number of people I've talked to are under the impression that the videotape on these shows still exist, and fooling around with Kinescopes would not be necessary.

If they exist on videotape then it will make it much easier.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow