-

Photo
- - - - -

Who's ready for I LOVE THE 70s??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 02:52 AM

After the enormous success of I LOVE THE 80s, VH1 is going back to the 70s. From the previews it looks like Hal Sparks and Mo Rocca are back to comment on things. Hopefully there will be others returning as well.

I'm really looking forward to this as I enjoyed the 80s shows a great deal. Although I was born in 1976, many of the things that were popular in the early to mid 80s were introduced in the 70s.

It starts on Monday, August 18 with two shows per night starting at 9:00pm EST.

VH1 has lots of cool info on their website.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 04:18 AM

Looking forward to this. Should bring back a ton of memories!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 07:05 AM

I'm totally geeked for this one. BTW, nice sig.Posted Image
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 11:35 AM

Quote:
BTW, nice sig.

Are we the only Invader Zim lovers around?? Posted Image

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 02:31 AM

While I think that Rocca, Sparks and Micheal Ian Black are hilarious, they're too young to have really lived through the 70s. The heart of 70s culture was in re-runs when they saw it. THey didn't live through the disco era; watch "Good Times" when it was in its heyday. Dyno-MITE cannot hold the resonance to an X-er or a Y-er that it does for someone born between 1955 and 1964. Mind you, I'm looking forward to it, but I hope they've got some people who will do more than smirk.
What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of Man. You cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images . . .

T.S. Eliot, The Wasteland

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 11:59 AM

I'm too young to really care... But I loved the 80s series. Enjoy everyone!

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 02:44 AM

I was born in 78, so watching the 80's series meant a bit more to me as I grew up in that erra. I still don't consider the 80's 'classic' or 'retro' yet, bTW Posted Image.

Don't know if I'll watch the 70's one, but I'll probably tune in if I catch it...

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 01:34 AM

Quote:
While I think that Rocca, Sparks and Micheal Ian Black are hilarious, they're too young to have really lived through the 70s. The heart of 70s culture was in re-runs when they saw it. THey didn't live through the disco era; watch "Good Times" when it was in its heyday. Dyno-MITE cannot hold the resonance to an X-er or a Y-er that it does for someone born between 1955 and 1964. Mind you, I'm looking forward to it, but I hope they've got some people who will do more than smirk.

I agree; while it's fun to hear younger perspectives on things, I really hope they have some comments from people that actually lived through the decade. I myself was born in 1978, so I don't remember too much, but it will be cool to hear from people that actually do.

Although I enjoyed the '80s series overall, one of my pet peeves was that some of the featured guests seemed to be trying a little too hard to come up with something cute or ironic to say, and in some cases it came out not nearly as funny as it was apparently supposed to be.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 03:22 AM

A review in the New Yorker reinforced some of my fears. For instance, they somehow managed to discuss 1973 without mentioning the Watergate hearings. As the reviewer put it, the series seems to be aimed at the same audience as "I love the 80s." Posted Image
What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of Man. You cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images . . .

T.S. Eliot, The Wasteland

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   David Glenn

David Glenn

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 01:46 PM

Looking forward to the show.

To help promote I LOVE THE 70s, VH1 & Borders books in downtown NYC kicked it off this past Tuesday with a free concert/signing by Peter Frampton. Peter played in the Borders bookstore for about an hour. It was great.

It was fun to see the stuffy people's expressions on their faces as they entered the book store expecting a quiet library environment and instead getting blasted with 115 decibals of Peter jamming with his sqwalk(sp?)box.
Xbox Gamertag: WetWork

Forum Nav Content I Follow