What's new

Who's ready for I LOVE THE 70s?? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
After the enormous success of I LOVE THE 80s, VH1 is going back to the 70s. From the previews it looks like Hal Sparks and Mo Rocca are back to comment on things. Hopefully there will be others returning as well.

I'm really looking forward to this as I enjoyed the 80s shows a great deal. Although I was born in 1976, many of the things that were popular in the early to mid 80s were introduced in the 70s.

It starts on Monday, August 18 with two shows per night starting at 9:00pm EST.

VH1 has lots of cool info on their website.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
While I think that Rocca, Sparks and Micheal Ian Black are hilarious, they're too young to have really lived through the 70s. The heart of 70s culture was in re-runs when they saw it. THey didn't live through the disco era; watch "Good Times" when it was in its heyday. Dyno-MITE cannot hold the resonance to an X-er or a Y-er that it does for someone born between 1955 and 1964. Mind you, I'm looking forward to it, but I hope they've got some people who will do more than smirk.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I was born in 78, so watching the 80's series meant a bit more to me as I grew up in that erra. I still don't consider the 80's 'classic' or 'retro' yet, bTW ;).

Don't know if I'll watch the 70's one, but I'll probably tune in if I catch it...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
While I think that Rocca, Sparks and Micheal Ian Black are hilarious, they're too young to have really lived through the 70s. The heart of 70s culture was in re-runs when they saw it. THey didn't live through the disco era; watch "Good Times" when it was in its heyday. Dyno-MITE cannot hold the resonance to an X-er or a Y-er that it does for someone born between 1955 and 1964. Mind you, I'm looking forward to it, but I hope they've got some people who will do more than smirk.
I agree; while it's fun to hear younger perspectives on things, I really hope they have some comments from people that actually lived through the decade. I myself was born in 1978, so I don't remember too much, but it will be cool to hear from people that actually do.

Although I enjoyed the '80s series overall, one of my pet peeves was that some of the featured guests seemed to be trying a little too hard to come up with something cute or ironic to say, and in some cases it came out not nearly as funny as it was apparently supposed to be.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
A review in the New Yorker reinforced some of my fears. For instance, they somehow managed to discuss 1973 without mentioning the Watergate hearings. As the reviewer put it, the series seems to be aimed at the same audience as "I love the 80s." :rolleyes

David Glenn

Second Unit
Looking forward to the show.

To help promote I LOVE THE 70s, VH1 & Borders books in downtown NYC kicked it off this past Tuesday with a free concert/signing by Peter Frampton. Peter played in the Borders bookstore for about an hour. It was great.

It was fun to see the stuffy people's expressions on their faces as they entered the book store expecting a quiet library environment and instead getting blasted with 115 decibals of Peter jamming with his sqwalk(sp?)box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks