What's new

*** Official FREDDY VS. JASON Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
You shall survive this... ;)

Seriously though... I was going to put the review in that thread... But, I have noticed that people have stopped going to that thread... Half of it has nothing to do with the movie and consists of complainers asking dumb questions...

But, if whoever in charge feels that it should go in that thread, feel free to move it...

I thought for direct reviews we could make seperate threads??? I have seen threads on reviews of many movies before as stand alone threads... Sorry if I was misinformed...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
No problem...after all it is getting close enough to the release to possibly start a review thread. Usually the mods are against multiple threads, but if you wanted to start an official review thread, maybe they'll comply.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Freddy Vs. Jason" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Freddy Vs. Jason" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Yikes!!!

Yes, you are very funny indeed... About as funny as the movie Arthur 2: On the Rocks...
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
I think the film really delivered the goods to the fans....'

STORY: was acceptable.... typical of these types of flicks... but VERY entertaining...

ACTING: Drive in Movie Stuff....

If you're a fan... You won't be disappointed...

It really was a fun little flick!

Dugger

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
If you're a fan... You won't be disappointed...

It really was a fun little flick!
That's all I want from this movie.
This concept had such a huge chance to suck (believe me, I've read some of the rejected scripts, they were horrible). So it's great to see they made a fun movie that respects both characters. I'll be there friday.

Ahh fellow camp Hack N Slashers...Well I thought the movie was great, I was losing interest during the first 30 minutes but the movie picked up alot after that. It seemed like a long trailer with nudity, money shots, ass kicking filled with ALOT of sprayed and gushed blood, It was truly a battle. Ahhh...the Scene where Jason kills teens left and right during there little party just brings smiles, and the ending.....ahh yes the ending was good. The Movie is basicaly a typical Freddy and Jason movie with both of them beating the crap out of each other, nothing else. Worth seeing if your a freddy and jason fan or a horror fan in general.

Thanks

p.s. What the hell was Mad Man Marz all about???

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I'm really looking forward to this one! It might be cheesy but who cares, it will be fun.

As for the impalement death in Friday 2 being "very creative", I'd agree. It was creative when Mario Bava did it in 1972's TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE (aka Bay of Blood). The scene in Friday 2 is a blatant copy from that flick.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma

That taken from Dark Horizons... THAT WOULD BE AWESOME but I doubt it would ever happen:frowning:

James T

Screenwriter
I'd love to see Ash take on Freddy and Jason. I can just imagine Ash's dreamland. He'll probably add a shotgun that never runs out of ammo...well, he already has that, so maybe some kind of super chainsaw.

Ash vs Freddy & Jason would be the ultimate versus film.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The wait for this film is killing me! As a lifelong horror fan, I've been waiting for this for years, and it feels great for it to finally be this close! Hopefully it won't be a mega disappointment like the awful DREAMCATCHER, but I'm pretty sure it won't be. Can't wait till Friday, as I'm gonna be at the first showing of the day, and if its as great as I hope, I may go to every other showing that day as well.

On another note, Monica Keena is a frickin' goddess! For those of you that have seen it, is she one of the women that we see nude? ;) I'd love that, but I'm guessing not, as the heroines never show nudity in these films. :frowning:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: My lengthy comments have been removed, as I don't want to be seen as breaking any agreements with my local publicists.

If you're someone who has a subscription to this particular thread, then you've already seen my opinions because you're a hardcore horror freak. Needless to say I don't want anyone reprinting my post.

I apologize for being so anal about this, but New Line is very touchy about their publicity agreements and I have no wish to end up on someone's shit list.

Short version of my take on the film?

Certainly worth seeing for fans of both series...but I left feeling fairly disappointed overall.

Sorry for being such a baby, although I am very flattered that you guys were waiting for my comments. :) My review will be up early Friday morning if y'all still like me.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Oh no!!! Scott hated the movie... :frowning:

Seriously though, I have read many of your reviews for past movies and kind of knew that you wouldnt like the movie... I just didnt think it would be your thing...

I dont even really know if I would even classify Freddy vs Jason as horror... It's certainly not scary in the least...

I enjoyed it ( I did), but I also went in with low expectations...

I of course would have preferred a scary horror movie of Freddy and Jason that took itself seriously... Not so much Freddy vs Jason, just Freddy and Jason in the same movie...

Also, with some good acting... I know I shouldnt expect good acting in a horror/slasher movie, but it would have been nice for a change...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Seriously though, I have read many of your reviews for past movies and kind of knew that you wouldnt like the movie... I just didnt think it would be your thing...
Well, considering ALL I would watch as a kid was Halloweens, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Streets, Evil Deads, Romero's Zombie flicks and basically ANYthing settled in the Horror Section - I'd consider myself a passionate horror fan indeed.

So I don't know where you'd come up with that assumption. Trust me when I tell you this: a movie entitled Freddy vs. Jason is SO my kind of "thing"! Honest.

And I certainly did not HATE the movie! After spending about 75 minutes discussing the movie with another wacko critic I know, I've decided to BUMP my rating up from 2 out of 5 to 3 out of 5. (He didn't talk me into it, but discussing the film made me recall a few other components that I did like. Incidentally, his name is Eric D. Snider and his 4-star review (out of 5) will also be up on Friday. He's a much better writer than I am, so that should make the fans happy.) :)

I figure I've given earlier installments fair praise despite those flicks having NO plot whatsoever - so it seems a bit unfair to overly bash this one for being way too "plot-heavy". And that IS my biggest complaint about the film: lotsa plot threads, most of which end up nowhere too interesting.

The rebar scene is very cool though. ;)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Really Scott???

My apoligies... I didnt think you cared for either series... I read your reviews and you gave all the Fridays past Part 2 pretty much horrible ratings... Some in the 30's out of 100...

I thought you also said that you didnt care too much for any of the Elm Street movies past Part 1??? Was that you??? Maybe not??? I might be confused...

What also made me think you wouldnt like this movie is because I dont think you cared too much for the Child's Play series at all... I read your review of Childs Play (which you gave an average 6 out of 10 to) in which you said to not pay attention to any of the Childs plays with a number after them... I take it that would include Bride of Chucky which was Ronny Yu's other horror sequel...

I just thought you didnt care too much for the campier movies like the Nightmare and Child's Play sequels...

Freddy vs Jason is campy, so I just figured you wouldnt go for it... Thats all...

My apoligies if any errors were made... I was just basing it off your previous reviews of the other movies in these series...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
No problem Ryan! Based on your citations I can see where you'd think that. But dig a little deeper....

Friday the 13th

"The Friday the 13th movies were as integral to my youth as Mad Magazine, baseball cards and peanut butter, and I'm not ashamed to admit it."

"I certainly hope I never have to see 8 teens brutally butchered in real life, but when Friday the 13th Part 10: Jason on Medicare comes out, count me in."

Friday the 13th Part 2

"The fun of these movies is quite simply the gore, the creative carnage, the rampant cinematic brutality. Call me sick, but I'd rather watch every F13 movie in a row than watch Patch Adams just one more time. To the average movie fan, I'd probably recommend you rent something else. To my fellow horror freaks, you know what I'm talking about."

Friday the 13th Part 3

"Seems too preoccupied with the whole 3-D gimmick, but certainly doesn't get in the way of the gory fun."

"While it's definitely not the worst of the series, Part 3 seems like a notably lazy and cheap affair. It's worth a rental for the horror freaks out there who have yet to see it."

Friday the 13th Part 5

"Chalk it up to my warped childhood, but I’ve always had a soft spot for the Friday the 13th movies. Yes, not one of them is even remotely a “quality movie”, but there’s something about the body-count sensibility and entirely predictable scenarios that have entertained me for years. But even for hardcore Jason-philes like myself, Part 5 is easily the worst of the lot. Yes, even worse than Part 8, in which Jason gets onto a boat and travels to New York City."

"Still, if you’re a fan of the series, it’s probably worth a look. A few fun gore scenes pop up on occasion before the truly moronic conclusion lurches into view. Wedged between two of the coolest Fridays, Part 5 is a limp and dreary affair, of note only to slasher freaks and fans of bad cinema."

Friday the 13th Part 6

"Although Part 6 certainly doesn’t break any new ground in the series, it’s notable mainly for its solid sense of humour (all the towns are named for horror movie directors) but also for actually having some production value. This is easily the best looking of the Friday the 13th flicks, and director Tom McLaughlin keeps things moving at a brisk pace. Yes, all the ridiculous horror clichés are present and accounted for, but this time around they’re delivered with a sly self-referential tone… much like when the drunken graveyard caretaker looks directly at the camera and tells all the Jason fans something they’ve known for years: “Some folks have a strange sense of entertainment!”"

Friday the 13th Part 7

"When a hardcore Friday the 13th fan tells you that a particular entry is a piece of junk, you should probably listen. Though Part 7 doesn’t rank at the very bottom of the Jason food chain (a ring of hell generally reserved for parts 5 and 8), its generic tone and methodical attitude toward ponderous body count-stuffing skirts it dangerously close to the edge."

"There are those who need to own this movie simply so their Jason Voorhees DVD Collection will be complete. I can respect that, though more discriminating slasher fans will opt to ignore this one… at least until Paramount leases the title out to Anchor Bay so we can see all that ‘extreme gore’ which was clearly left on the cutting room floor."

Friday the 13th Part 8

"Realizing the importance of never straying one iota from a proven formula, the producers populate the film with a collection of broadly-drawn and instantly forgettable teens, each of whom is destined for a gory death involving something sharp." (OK, you got me on this one; I couldn't find ONE semi-nice thing to say about Part 8.) :)

Jason Goes to Hell

" Sure, this one’s got gore galore and a boatload of atrocious acting performances to giggle at, but without Jason doing the stalking – it’s just not a Friday the 13th movie. Some would construe that last statement as a compliment. Not me. I like my cheeseburgers hot, my popcorn buttered, and my Friday the 13th films starring a certain hockey-masked psychopath."

"The gore does come fast and furious in a few scenes (and that’s always a nice thing), but the film as a whole is tedious, predictable and painfully unoriginal."

Jason X

""Jason in space". OK, it's a stupid idea. As someone who's spent a lot of his childhood with uber-slasher Jason Voorhes, I was a bit skeptical about the idea of my favorite stalker being transplanted into an outer-space setting. But with the leaps in logic, sense, and simple good taste we've come to expect from this unending horror series, I suppose the deep-space setting is not that big a leap. We are, after all, talking about a villain who's been killed a dozen times, hitched a boat-ride to New York City, and even got turned into some slimy alien creature. So if you're going to argue the "logic" of Jason in space, you may be better off skipping Jason X entirely."

"Lest you think it insane that someone could actually recommend a "Jason X", keep two things in mind: 1. Most people reading a Jason X review are horror fans (like myself) who are not expecting great cinema from a silly slasher sequel, and 2. Jason X is infintely more fun to sit through than horror flicks like The Haunting, 13 Ghosts, Urban Legend or those worthless 'Last Summer' movies."

Regarding the Nightmare on Elm Street films...

I adore, love, admire, and kneel before the brilliance of the original entry. Other than that, the only ones that I consider truly worthwhile are Dream Warriors and New Nightmare. Now don't get me wrong. Each Nightmare flick has a heaping helping of creatively nasty kill scenes. And for the most part they're great. It's just that other than those three I just mentioned, I'd rate the rest of the series between "not bad/half-decent" (The Dream Child, The Dream Master) and "pretty darn stinky" (Freddy's Revenge, Freddy's Dead).

The Child's Play flicks? Was never a big fan. The original had a few enjoyable moments to be sure, but to me the series was more unsuccesfully comedic than scary or gory or consistently entertaining. Parts 2 and 3 did absolutely nothing for me. I would, however, welcome a second look at Bride of Chucky, a flick I remember giggling at more than a few times. (Giggling in a good way.)

Again, no apology necessary at all. But the last thing I'd want to be considered is anything less than a passionate fan of all things scary, dark and disgusting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks