What's new

BATMAN (1989) & sequels (STREET DATE: Oct. 18, 2005) (1 Viewer)

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the original Batman movie, and was planning on buying the DVD, but once finding that it contained no special features whatsoever, I was dissapointed.

Wouldn't it be cool if they released a new version, with a second disc of pure supplemental material? Is there any news of Warner Bros doing this?

Heck, they could follow the pattern of the Star Trek CE DVDs that are currently releasing - put out a new 2-dsic set for each Batman movie every few months. That would be cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob T

Screenwriter
I think Warner said in the chat from a while back that they're thinking about it or something like that.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think a question mark or something needs to be added to the title of the thread. I was thinking I was going to get news of a SE. :frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Same here. :frowning:

Jedrek, I know you're new here. So one of us should point out that we've had dozens of threads in the past year just wishing for exactly what you described.

But no, there's no news of it yet. The last anyone heard, Warner was waiting on Tim Burton's availability to participate. OR, if you listen to the other rumors, he's already participated, but Warner is holding off releasing such a thing until they can tie it in with the next Batman film they ever get around to releasing.

I personally think it's a bit of both. Burton probably said "call me when it's closer to whatever time you are ready to release an SE DVD", and the release window for such would be to tie in with an as-yet-unshot bigscreen Batman sequel.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
If and when a SE does arrive, hopefully the improvement in the transfer will be as dramatic as their Unforgiven: SE.

Batman is probably my #1 most wanted re-release. (Although Goodfellas and Scarface are very close.)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
For all those that are waiting for the SE DVD, would you recommend just buying Batman/Batman Returns or do you think waiting is better? I know this is one of those "do what you feel" questions but I'm just wondering if a Batman SE is more like a year and a half away or like four and a half years away. And, from the sounds of it, the transfers and DVD's overall are far from great?

What would you recommend and how much would you be willing to pay for each?

Thanks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would just consider renting if you really want to see it now. However, you should be able to have any one shipped for about $14.XX. I don't even think I would pay that much for it. Maybe you can buy it cheaper used.

I have only seen the first Batman ('89) on DVD and the transfer is very mediocre and "muddy" looking (although it is anamorphic). I would just rent it and save your money for the future release.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
it was me that did ask for a special edition of batman. I heard tim is working on a new movie called the big fish. I have both batman and returns.. the batman dvd is okay.. but the transfer on batman returns was much better. I even like the menu.. its simple.. there are no extra features on either dvds.

JACOB

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've held off on buying the original Batman DVD this long. I get the feeling the second that I "take the hit" and buy it, the SE will be announced the next day! :laugh:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
This was one of the first DVDs I bought, in those dark days when Best Buy's DVD selection was 2 cases in an aisle. I'd like to see a full-blown SE of it myself. Jack Nicholson is just so damned entertaining in this that I can't help loving it.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Ok, so we've got pretty much every Superhero Movie on DVD these days, and most of them are slam-packed with content that makes most fan-boys foam at the mouth...

But what about the 1989 Tim Burton Batman flick?

Since it's initial release back in the early years of DVD, it has not recieved an update. It's movie-only, bare-bones, non-anamorphic presentation pales in comparison to most releases these days.

So what gives? Has Warner annouced *any* plans to update this DVD? Is it just me, or are they sitting on a huge title with the potential to make them a mountain of money?

Moe.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I distinctly remember a few years ago on a WB chat here on HTF that a SE was coming and they wouldn't "drag their bat heels on it".

I remember there was news that there would be SEs for at least the first 3, with "Batman" (1989) getting a 2-disc treatment, and they were supposed to be due 12/2001......of course this never happened and it's why I held off for a bit. I had previously purchased "Batman" and when the SEs didn't happen, I also got "Batman Forever." And now I'll probably go ahead and get "Batman Returns."
I honestly wouldn't wait. I mean, they're only 10-15 bucks a pop and well worth it just to have them. Of course they need improvement, but it's already been almost a year since they were originally due, so why deny yourself. When the new ones are released (if they ever get around to it), sell the other copies. I can't see renting it for $4 + tax when my local Wal-Mart sold them all for 9.99 recently.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I would love for Warner to release a SE of Batman soon!
I bought the first release a few years ago and then sold it when I heard of rumors that a possible SE might happen.
I hope they improve the video on the SE too. This is one of my all time favorite comic book heros made for the bigscreen. Keaton and especially Nicholson was terrific!!

hurry up Warner and give us a SE !!!!!

Joel C

Screenwriter
I don't think Wal-Mart still has them for $9.99... it was back when they had the big bins of Warner titles. I had been waiting for the SEs but finally caved and bought Batman, Returns, and Forever. I probably would've gotten B&R too, just to complete the set, but they didn't have it.

I've watched the first two, and the video quality is decent on my set, though I have a fairly undermanding 27"er. What really bugs me is that none of them include trailers. I'd be content with just that as an extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks