-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

what do these specs mean?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Paul Campione

Paul Campione

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 09:56 AM

I was looking to upgrade to the yamaha RVX 1300 receiver and wanted to know what some of the specs meant.

-powerfull 32-bit cinema DSP
-192/KHz/24-bit DACs for all chanels
-2 chanel downmixing

Thanks verry much!!!

#2 of 4 Jaime B

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 03:05 PM

Paul:

It means it is one heck of a good receiver!

Anyway, since Yamaha is about to debut its replacement, the RX-V1400, you may want to wait to get a good deal on the 1300.

Read more about this receiver at Phil's site:
www.geocities.com/p_iturra/

Enjoy,
JaimeB

www.geocities.com/p_iturra/

#3 of 4 Lee M T

Lee M T

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 03:47 PM

I'm not sure what Down Mixing means.

Really couldn't get technical with you about the DAC's either. Those are the Digital To Analog Converters. Basically, the higher the number the better. Most receivers are 96Khz. 192Khz is very good and is featured on higher end receivers, like this one. Posted Image

32-Bit DSP is the digital signal processor. It'll be processing and sending the surround sound information to the speakers. The higher the bit the better, but that can be deceiving too. I'd rather have a good 32-Bit processor than a bad 48-Bit processor. You get the idea.

This particular model you speak of is of high quality. I own a Yammie myself, not this one though. hehe...You may want to investigate the V1400 as Jamie said, but if you find a good deal on this model, I can't blame you for taking it.

Good Luck,
Lee

#4 of 4 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 01:35 AM

I would surmise that 2-channel downmixing is when it takes a multi-channel source input (i.e. 5 channels of audio) and mixes them for use in a 2-speaker-only setup.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012