-

Photo
- - - - -

Sony Wega question?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Paul Campione

Paul Campione

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 09:49 AM

I was looking at a 34" widescreen sony wega and didn't understand what some of the specs meant. See if you guys can help me out with any of these.

-Hi-Scan HDTV monitor
-Upconverts NTSC Sources to 960i or 480p
-Video input labeling

Thanks!!!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 04:05 AM

• "Hi-Scan" is Sony's trademarked name for its high def-capable picture tubes. It simply means the tube is capable of scanning at high definition frequencies and displaying them.

• Standard NTSC sources (over-the-air, cable, and DBS signals) are 480i (that is, 480 interlaced lines of resolution). Your WEGA converts these signals to 480p (480 progressive lines of resolution) or to 960i (960 lines interlaced; it can't increase the source's native resolution but it can throw 960 lines at it in an attempt to produce a "sort-of," faux high-def look; 480p is preferred).

• "Video input labeling" means just that: The inputs on the back of the set are clearly labeled for your convenience. Or it could also refer to the fact that when you access the various video inputs, your onscreen information tells you it's "Video 1," "Video 2," and so on.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Joey

Joey

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 06:38 AM

On my Wega, the video input labeling is simply the option to choose a different pre-defined on-screen label for each input source. That is, instead of it saying "Video 1" - you can choose it to say "Satellite" or "Cable Box" on the screen when you choose that respective source to make it easier to decipher - etc. It also lets you skip a source if you have nothing connected to it so you don't have to cycle through everything while pressing the TV/VIDEO button.