Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Batman TV series DVD???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 07:28 AM

Hello - I am wondering about the status of the Batman / Adam West TV series coming to DVD. I believe I read that Fox was working on the series for release. Does anyone know the status and when possibly the series will be released??

Thanks for posting!!

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 08:27 AM

Tim,

I can only give you the information that
we last heard from the studio....

Fox has been wanting to get this series out
on DVD. No doubt, it is one of their highest
requested TV releases.

Last heard, there were licensing problems that
was preventing the studio from getting these out.

We'll be out at Fox next month. I'll ask them
if they would provide us with an update. Will
report back.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 12:26 PM

Totally off topic what im going to say ,Ron, ask them about liscense to drive 80s dvd !! Thanks.Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 03:28 PM

Thank you, Ron!!!Posted Image

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 05:28 PM

They are repeating this series here in NZ at the moment - I haven't seen it since I was a kid and remembered it as being rather silly. But when you view it as a comedy (which it really was), it's quite fun.

I'd probably be interested.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 06:04 PM

I would think that most people even remotely interested in the advent of the television show on DVD would have trouble seeing this on the shelf and not purchasing it.

A no-brainer, really.

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   John KB

John KB

Second Unit

• 254 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 06:12 PM

I don't understand why there would be licensing problems. Fox does own the show, correct?

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,696 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 06:19 PM

They aired the entire series a couple times on TV Land at 4am for a year or so, and I remembered how much I loved the show for its (intentional) humor. Even if it had no special features at all, I would buy a complete box set the day it came out.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 08:53 PM

This reply is totally a guess....

I think I read that while Fox owns the show,
that Warner Brothers has rights on the character.

I'm sure someone else will shed more accurate
information on this.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 09:46 PM

I don't think there's anything else to say, Ron. That's 100% correct, as far as I know. Warner owns "Batman" and all related characters, and Fox owns the footage.

I'm sure something in the way of a license agreement will be worked out just as soon as a new Batman movie finds its way into theaters...whenever that is. :wink:
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 12:36 AM

David,

I'm glad the information I heard concurs
with what you heard.

The only "oddity" in this is that Fox was
able to release the original 60s "BATMAN"
movie without any difficulties.

Perhaps the licensing situation is different
when it comes to television product.

I hope to hear more about this next month

Ronald J Epstein

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 12:56 AM

i think, given the hold up with a film like All That Jazz to coincide with the dvd release of another studios musical hit, its more likely a big project like a series box set is being held back to tie in with the eventual release of a green lit theatrical film.
there may be legal issues, but if the film were ready to be released next summer, i'm sure these 'issues' would be being pursued more aggressively now.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 02:46 AM

Quote:
The only "oddity" in this is that Fox was
able to release the original 60s "BATMAN"
movie without any difficulties.

Perhaps the licensing situation is different
when it comes to television product.

That is EXACTLY what I was told...that the film rights were a different issue.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 05:45 AM

I can't wait for whatever way they choose to finally release this series on dvd (preferably box sets) and would gladly purchase all of it.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 07:56 AM

As much as I enjoy the old series, I can't honestly say that I would watch them more than once. I don't know that it would warrant a purchase for me, but by all means, put them on DVD.

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 02:30 PM

Ron, another vote for getting more info and generally pressing as firmly and delicately as one be able. I can't stand my kids growing older without this!!! (not to mention a wee bit of self interest!). Do it for the kids!

Dan
Heck, I reckon you wouldn't even be human beings if you didn't have some pretty strong personal feelings about nuclear combat.

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 06:22 PM

If Fox can eventually resolve the issues preventing a DVD release of the BATMAN series, then I hope they include such extras as:

*The original presentation film made for the network executives. A brief clip was used on A&E's BIOGRAPHY of Adam West. In it, West wears a Batman costume with the original Batlogo (i.e. without the yellow oval).

*The presentation film introducing Batgirl, in which the "Terrific Trio" faces off against Killer Moth.

*Various network and syndication promos.

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 07:18 PM

To touch upon that more, Claude, the Batman series and Bewitched were the two shows that virtually kept ABC afloat back in the mid- to late- sixties and very early seventies. So, in a time when networks all had Fall Preview Specials advertising their upcoming broadcasting schedules, ABC used its bona fide hit (Batman) to sucker viewers in...

I believe it was in 1966 that ABC used Batman and Robin as the frame story (in other words, they were the 'hosts') for its Fall Preview Special. The premise was that one of the shows from ABC's fall schedule had been stolen and it was up to Batman and Robin to find out where it was and who took it. Sounds ridiculous, right? Well, in retrospect, it doesn't seem too far removed from the premise of a regular Batman episode.

I doubt we'd ever get to see the entire special (namely because it contains clips of shows that are owned by all sorts of studios and would require a lot of licensing), but it would be nice to see at least the Batman and Robin segments.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

• 740 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 12:52 AM

I would pick up these sets in a heart beat. I wasn't around for the original airing, but I remember when they put them back on TV in '89 when the new Batman film came out in theaters. My brother and I (I was 9 at the time) thought it was the greates thing ever.

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 07:42 AM

The film vs television thing makes sense. Wasn't the movie released on VHS? So there was a framework for licensing in place (even if it didn't cover future formats). But AFAIK the series wasn't released on VHS, so there's not even a starting point there. So presumably both sides are waiting for the other to make the first offer.