-

Photo
- - - - -

Martin Logan Quest Z and reQuest, which sounds better?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Seth V

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 05:56 AM

I am wanting to upgrade to some larger Martin Logans ( currently use Aerius i's), and I'm considering either the Quest Z or the reQuest. Which sounds better and why? Any thoughts? Any input will be appreciated very much.

Thanks,

SV

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   ross ish

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 09:05 AM

request replaced the questz. better integration between panel and woofer. also revamped woofer driver for deeper more extended bass. I believe the panels were also changed.

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted August 09 2003 - 06:21 PM

There is a Martin Logan website that you could post a message to. You might get more responses there. It is at www.martinloganowners.com/

I have the Aerius i's and I really love them. I would be interested in hearing your comparsions.

Jeff

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Seth V

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 03:19 AM

Thanks guys for your replies.

Jeff,

I have a photo of my current system at the Martin Logan Owners Club, it's system #13. I asked the same question there, but so far no responses. I'd like to see your setup, do you have a photo of your system there also? The only reason I'm looking into getting some bigger Logans is because I would like to have a bit more room fill (my room is 20' x 23' with a 19' vaulted ceiling).
The Aerius i's are wonderful sounding speakers, I just need more radiating area. Once I get the larger Logans I will use the Aerius i's for surrounds.

When I do get the larger Logans (Quest Z or reQuest), I will definitely let you know what I think of them compared to the Aerius i. Like many have said, the only thing better than a Martin Logan is bigger Martin Logan (well, I'm soon to find out).

Thanks,

SV

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted August 10 2003 - 06:10 AM

Seth,

I am system #44 there. Check out my link here

I just purchased my Martin Logans. I am really impressed by them. I am thinking that around Christmas I want to get a tube amp to power the panels on them. My SVS subs really blend in well. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Jeff

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Seth V

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 07:25 AM

Hey Jeff very nice setup, I really like it. I have heard a lot about SVS subs, about how much are they? What's their frequency response? How many watts are they? I'm looking into getting a bigger sub, I currently use an ADS-MS3 and a Paradigm PS-1000. And while very good I know I can do better. I used an Earthquake sub for a while, and while it produced extremely low and powerful bass, it just sounded a bit too muddy and boomy for my taste. I have also considered the Martin Logan Descent sub.

I have changed my setup quite a bit, my system now looks totally different than the one on the Martin Logan Club site. I changed the rack, well actually I now have two metal A/V racks with thick glass shelves (one on each side of the TV). Other new additions include a Pioneer Laserdisc player, Yamaha AC-3 RF demodulator and a JVC SVHS VCR. Once I get the speakers I will take some new pix of my setup and have Tom D'Acquisto add the new photos.

SV

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted August 10 2003 - 09:01 AM

Seth,

I have one of the first powered subs they made. There have been MANY improvements to their design since then. In fact, I did get the new drivers. My sub has a 190 watt plate amp on it. The new ones have 320 watts. Mine are the 16/46 so they go down to 16 hertz. You can go to the SVS site and check out all of the responses.

These subs are very quick and integrate very well with my ML. They are not BOOMY at all. When we first got them, I could not believe the difference they made to the Energy sub, and DCM subs we had. Those sounded very muddy to the SVS. We were hearing things in our music like never before. They truly are good subs. But, then again my opinion may be a little biased because I am such a happy owner of SVS.

I just got rid of my Pioneer laserdisc player and Yamaha Demodulator. That is what help funded my change to Martin Logan.

I would love to see some new pictures of your setup. What is up there now looks REALLY good. Nice system.

Jeff

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted August 10 2003 - 09:13 AM

Seth,

Check out these reviews of the 16/46. Some graphs here might be useful to you.

Secret's Review

This is for the one I currently have (powered)

The Sensible Sound

Or here at SVS

SVS

Jeff

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Shane Morales

Shane Morales

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 01:53 PM

You all suck!

Ok, I'm just jealous (and kidding) Posted Image . I just bought some Mirage OM7's, but what I really wanted were some Martin Logans. Posted Image Alas and woe, but I can't afford them.

I heard the Odyssey's at a showroom and I was just transfixed by them. I don't know what your price range is, but you should listen to them regardless (if you haven't already). Just freakin' awesome.
:::Shane
:::nineshadoweyes.com

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   John Royster

John Royster

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 01:59 PM

When I heard both of them the request was a little smoother in the mid bass and the woofer was better integrated (meaning I didn't really notice it).

<---request owner.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Seth V

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 05:38 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the compliment on my system, yours is no slouch either. I'm going to take close up pictures of each of the components so one can click on each piece of equipment(thanks to Tom of course for giving us that option).

Those SVS subs are pretty impressive, from what I read they are very musical, yet pack quite a punch with movies. I really like they way they look, and I really like what I have read. Thanks for sharing that info, I really appreciate it. I may just go with SVS.

Shane Morales,

Some day I can definitely see you with some nice big Martin Logans in your listening room, I'm sure it'll happen.

Yes, I have listened to to the Odyssey's. They are in a word AWESOME! A lot of people have even prefered their sound over that of the Prodigy (and that is no small feat). I have considered buying them, but at this point $7,000 is a bit much (even $4,500 used is up there). The Quest Z or the reQuest on the other hand is more in tune with what I'm willing to spend ($2,500-$3,000) cause I want to get some other gear also.

The Quest and reQuest are considered by many to be some of Martin Logans finest. And their panel size is actually larger than the either the Odyssey or Prodigy. The total hight and width of the Quest/reQuest is 73" H(6 ft) x 19" W. They are pretty big.

SV

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Seth V

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 05:43 PM

John Royster,

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. So how do you like your reQuests?

SV

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   John Royster

John Royster

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 01:41 AM

I love 'em.

But with their size and the large woofer (sealed) they take a tremendouns amout of power and are incredibly difficult to place right. But logans have always been hard to dial in perfectly.

The one thing I really like about the requests is the how low the panel is crossed over - 180 Hz. I can't recall ever hearing vocals out of the woofer.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Seth V

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 06:45 AM

John,

Thanks for your input. I went ahead and got me a pair of reQuests and all I can say is WOW! They are amazing. Totally blows my Aerius i's away (And I still love the way the Aerius i's sound), for the size of my room the requests offer a much wider and deeper soundstage. The reQuests are awesome.

SV

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Seth V

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 19 2003 - 07:00 AM

Jeff,

Well as I told John, these reQuests are incredible. The sound they produce is detailed and dynamic with a much larger sweetspot over that of the Aerius i's. I feel that for a really large room, the reQuests are going to be hard to beat (except for maybe the Odyssey or Prodigy). The Aerius i's are fantastic performers, but in my room the reQuests fill the room much better. I mean they really offer a wall of sound.

These reQuests that I bought are some of the last ones that Martin Logan made. They are 2001 models with light oak rails and they only have 20 hours of use on them (they're like brand new).

For small to medium sized rooms I would highly recommend the Aerius i's, but for larger rooms the reQuests are definitely the way to go. I'm totally jazzed with my new speakers.

SV

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted August 19 2003 - 05:14 PM

Seth,

Too bad I don't still live in New Mexico. I would drive over to your house just to hear those! I went to high school in NM.

I would love to hear how those sound! Congratulations on such a good purchase! Enjoy them and turn them up! How is the bass response on those?

Jeff

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 02:54 AM

Jeff, the reQuests have a very similar bass response as my SL3's for they are practically identical in every measure except the reQuests have a 12" driver while the SL3's have a 10" driver. They're both rated down to 30hz but the reQuest will audibly play slightly deeper due to the larger driver. So imagine my speakers, which you've heard, and add "not louder bass" but a slightly deeper extension...most noticeable on deep bass guitar notes like from a good FourPlay or similar jazz album.

Way to go Seth...you have some nice speakers there!

E

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   John Royster

John Royster

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 05:08 AM

I'll chime in about the bass response from my requests.

Its actually pretty impressive. Very low and at the same time very smooth. You have to pay attention to placement though.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 05:24 AM

I agree John...I hope you didn't think I was saying the bass wasn't good...:b I would not trade my ML's for anything...except better MLs! Posted Image

E

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Seth V

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 20 2003 - 08:16 AM

Thanks guys, I'm loving em'.

Jeff,

Very interesting that you used to live and go to high school here in New Mexico. What city did you live in? That is too bad that you don't still live in New Mexico, as it would be great to have you over for a listen. Even though you don't still live here, If you are ever down this way you are always welcome to visit.

These reQuests are awesome sounding and great looking speakers. I plan on keeping these ones for many years to come. Like John and Eric said, the bass response on the reQuests is very impressive. I still use subs though, as my reQuests are placed pretty far from the side walls(as a result bass is a bit thinner).

My next purchase is going to be a Martin Logan Theater center channel. I am currently using the Martin Logan Cinema (will be up for sale soon), and while very good it is just not large enough to fill my room. The Cinema works best in a small to medium sized room. My room is 20 X 24 with a 19 ft vaulted ceiling, so it's on the large side.

Just curious, what styles of music do you all like to listen to on your Logans? As for me I like listening to anything that sounds good and I'm always looking for new music. One group that I really like to either listen to or to use to demo my system is Yello. Their albums One Second, Flag and Baby are awesome.

Thanks again guys,

SV