Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Calibration question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Matthew BW

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 04:41 AM

I just want to make sure I did this correctly. I am using s/v's video essentials. Using my Radio Shack sound meter set at 70, I started with the center channel and turned up the main volume until it was just over 0 on the sound meter. I then changed the input levels for the other apeakers to get them to match. Is this correct. I was wondering because I had to adjust my mains to +4 and my surrounds to +2. It seams like when I look at other peoples #'s they are always taliking about having to drop their input levels into negative #'s Thanks Matt

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 04:48 AM

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. As long as all your speakers measure the same SPL, then you've succeeded fine, whether raising or lowering the volume of the other speaekrs.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Bill Kane

Bill Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,373 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 05:29 AM

As Chris says, your speaker balancing will be good for your receiver, yr spkrs, your room -- no matter what others register. At 70dB base, you are probably setting to what sounds like a listening level, but it's somewhat low. If you want to set to Reference Level, that is, the actual field standard, you wud use 75dB for a Video Essentials test-tone disk or 85dB for a Sound&Vision Home Theater TuneUp (or AVIA) disk. Yes, these are loud (and sometimer I wear my shooting earmuffs) but that doesnt mean you have to listen to DVDs at this level. Most people dont. But setting the standard, when you tell us later that you playback at 10 decibels under or softer than Reference, we'll all be on the same page... bill

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Matthew BW

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 05:43 AM

Thanks. I was thinking that If I had started with the left speaker and turned up the volume until it reached 0 on the meter than I would have had to drop the input volume of the other speakers to compensate. I was just concerned because i thought i read that raising the input level to much on the speakers could increase distortion. Thanks

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   MikeTrotter

MikeTrotter

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 07:55 AM

Does your receiver allow you to adjust inputs while using the disc?Or does your receiver go into internal test tones when making changes?I think your on the right track you just need to know what test tones you are adjusting.My Denon will let me adjust the inputs using the disc.But my Marantz will only let me adjust using the internal test tones of the receiver.I'm not trying to confuse you, just trying to let you know you may not have to use the disc if your receiver defaults to its on test tones when adjusting levels.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Matthew BW

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 03:03 PM

I used the discs test tones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users