What's new

switched outlet (1 Viewer)

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
Does the outlet on the back of the receiver use any power from the receiver or is it just a pass thru. I want to plug a fan into it that comes on with the receiver but I do not want to draw power from the receiver. Thanks

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I have a question about your fan what kind are you using? I would think that it wouldn't take any power away from the receiver. I am looking for a small fan I can do the same thing with. Only thing is all the fans that use wall plugs are to big. I want a small fan.

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
I am probably going to use a small clip on type fan than when it is on slow is very quiet.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Matthew,

Does the outlet on the back of the receiver use any power from the receiver or is it just a pass thru.
If you’re talking “power” as in how many watts the receiver puts out, the answer is “maybe.” Since anything plugged into the receiver ultimately gets its power (electricity) via the receiver’s power cord, it stands to reason that if you plug in something with a high amperage draw, it would “suck off” current from the receiver. If the receiver is starved for current, it could reduce its power output somewhat.

That said, a small fan like you are considering will not be a problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I don't see why it's a bad idea... It's not drawing enouhg power to cause a fuse to blow or something.

This is what I've done. I have two 12V computer fans hooked up to a variable voltage adapter which I spliced and connected. It's hooked into the outlet on the back of the reciever, and has been for quite a while. I haven't noticed any significant problems with this method.

Only thing is all the fans that use wall plugs are to big. I want a small fan.
David, I had the same problem, as the adapter the fans are spliced into is too large. I simply bought a cheap extension cord without a ground (outlet on the back of the receiver does not have a ground prong hole) and plugged the extension cord into the reciever. Problem solved.

MikeTrotter

Agent
I still believe a fan will generate noise.This could come back through the receiver and cause noise problems.I may be wrong but have you ever read in a receiver manual where it tells you to plug a fan in it?This is just my thoughts on the subject.You should be able to find another outlet to plug a fan into.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
But Mike, have you ever read in a reciever manual not to plug a fan into it? I haven't - not in my manual at least.

As for the noise, yes, the fans themselves do create noise, but you woud have to have the ears of a bat to hear it when a movie is playing. Even with no sound, the noise is minimal. This is also one of the reasons I bought a variable voltage adapter. I can control the speed at which the fans spin by simply adjusting the voltage. Consequently, the higher the fan speed, the more noise is generated, but I never have to put the fans up to that speed.

If I read your statement correctly, you're saying that the noise from the fans could travel into the reciever and somehw make it's way into the signal that is output by the speakers. Is this what you mean?

If so, I haven't noticed any of that happening. I agree, mechanical interference can cause udsireable effects, but it's not like I have a blender plugged into the back of my reciever. Simply put - if you ask me at least - the motors in the fan aren't powerful enough to generate that much interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks