Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I hate sports...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 10:18 AM

But I love Sports Night. Ok, hate is probably too strong a word. I just don't care about it. I watch maybe 2-3 games every year. However, the fact that I was able to enjoy Sports Night should speak volumes as to the quality of the series. It's amazing that, despite the popularity of sports and ESPN and Sports Center, this show wasn't able to find an audience. Too bad... I also think it's funny to see how similar the writing and characters are to those in the West Wing. Obviously, both Sorkin vehicles. But such different subjects....

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,088 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 10:53 AM

I've been recording the Sports Nights episodes that Comedy Central has been playing on Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays, and that was a nice show cut down too early just when it was hitting its stride. It's consistently a funny and poignant show, and lots of fun character interaction and growth. I may have to break down and buy the series set on DVD one of these days.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 12:51 PM

Is anyone else bothered by the laugh track in the first couple of episodes (or maybe it's the first season entirely)?. Especially after seeing the rest of the series, it's not needed, and the show flows much better without it.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,088 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:08 PM

The laugh track was a bad decision for the first season, and was subsequently removed in the second season.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   John Thomas

John Thomas

Screenwriter

• 2,637 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 06:18 PM

What Patrick said.

Imagine if HBO would've picked this show up as they intended to do at one time. I'd have to guess that Peter Krause would be totally burnt out after one season of HBO programming. Posted Image

Did Guillaume's condition have anything to do with its demise? There's been a few shows that I can recall that weren't renewed due to one of the main actors not continuing with the series.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 01:42 AM

Actually, it was Showtime that tried to pick SportsNight up. Sorkin apparently realized that doing both SportsNight and The West Wing for another year would kill him.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Rey L

Rey L

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 12:32 AM

At the time of ABC's decision to cancel Sports Night, BOTH Showtime and HBO showed interest in picking it up. Fox had some thoughts too. HBO threw around the idea of expanding it to an hour and "spicing it up" with more adult language and story lines. Frankly, that would have ruined it for me.

As far as the stars of the series leaving after season two, the only one I heard anything about was Peter Krause. He had already wanted to leave Sports Night to sign on with Six Feet Under. He probably would not have returned had the series been renewed.

Regarding the laugh track, that was something that ABC insisted that the producers add. I guess they thought that we needed a prompt to let us know when something funny was said. Aaron Sorkin adamantly fought against it's use. It was he who went against the network and dropped it for season two.

Without going into a rant, I still can't believe ABC canceled this show. Considering their ratings position right now, I'd be willing to bet that they would love to have a show that scored in the mid to high 7's. That was pretty good considering it was placed right behind Dharma and Greg. It was the equivalent of expecting viewers of Joanie Loves Chachi to hang around for M*A*S*H. Oh well, "If you can't make money off of Sports Night, you should get out of the money-making business".

Don't get me started. Between SN and Maximum Bob, I still refuse to watch ABC to this day. Yes, I know that I'm only one person, but it gives me an inflated sense of self-worth. Posted Image

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 03:23 AM

The really funny part about the laugh track was that with the rapid-fire dialogue this show used, there was seldom an appropriate place to put it - which meant it actually was used a lot less than on most sitcoms, although still too much.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users