Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Building Stereo Rack Ideas....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   IanB

IanB

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:35 AM

I am thinking of building my own stereo rack and have been surfing the web for ideas. I came across one idea which seemed like a good thing, it was built out of 3/4" melamine board, and the shelves had the ability to slide out so you can access the back of the equipment. I checked out the sliders at home depot they were $20 per shelf if you wanted them to slide out the full way and support 100lbs. They also had others that slide out 3/4 of the way and could support 100lbs as well for around $6. I was thinking of making the shelves around 18" x 18" (I measured my current audio equipment rack at home and they were 17.5". I was thinking of allowing for extra 2 or 3" behind the shelves so that the wires can extend. Also thinking of leaving an 1" at the start so that I can have a little piece of wood around 1" wide with a hinge so that it tidies up the front. Planning on having a few extra shelves for future expansion. Right now I have a dvd player, a receiver, satellite receiver, cd player, another receiver for upstairs, amp (i.e. 6 shelves), thinking of having another 2 or three shelves. Most shelves will be around 8" in between with 2 that are 6" in between (for satellite, dvd).

Thanks,

Ian

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   IanB

IanB

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 02:08 AM

Does anybody have any other ideas ? I thought about putting the rack on wheels but figured that might be an accident waiting to happen, ie its moveable and if somebody decides to hit it or something it might yank the wires too much. I plan on locating the rack in my storage room right behind the speakers so that it doesn't have to look pleasing to the eye but still don't want something that isn't going to look very good either.

Any opinions or better ideas would be great ? Comments too...

Ian

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 02:23 AM

I don't mean to be critical of your design idea, however you asked. I don't think movable shelves would be a good idea. Cable management is difficult enough without having to add for 18" of shelve movement.

You would need to put some type of cap on the front of the shelf to hide the slider. You would probably have to dado the slider into the sides of the cabinet to reduce the visibility from the top of the shelf.

How often do you think you would need to slide a component out?

My stand is flexi design 15" x 24" x 4'. On the second shelf from the top is a 50lb receiver. I have 4 casters mounted to the bottom and have no stability problems.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   IanB

IanB

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 04:57 AM

Thanks Dave,
I have reviewed your comments and decided to put my cabinet on wheels, its 6 feet tall, 22 inch wide and 24 inches deep. I ended up using 3/4" melamine for the outside and 5/8" for the shelves. I will post some pictures soon. I also picked up some 2 inch wheels for the bottom.

Thanks for the comments,

Ian

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Disk2Legacy

Disk2Legacy

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 02 2011 - 03:14 PM

So Ian, where are these pictures. I am interested in seeing them.