What's new

Gigli to be pulled from cinemas! Could this be the shortest cinema to DVD window yet? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
This article at MSN is reporting that the movie is expected to disappear completely in only two weeks when cinemas finish their three–week contractual obligations to screen the film.

With what's happened recently to poor Box Office performers, I can see this being on DVD by October or November at the latest.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Probably 2-3 month window. They haven't announced it's DVD release date/specs yet though, and wasn't the announcement for the Justin/Kelly movie and Real Cancun posted just a week after their theatrical releases? So in theory, we'll know for sure in a couple weeks. :)

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
Is this movie really that bad?? Or is this just the public's backlash again Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck?

wow...

~Jason

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Real Cancun was out for 3 weeks.

I know they have pulled all ads for the film from our station, I don't know that they will pull it from theaters, but most, if they don't get receipts this week, will send it back.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
WOW! This film must be horrible!

I will have to agree with all of you who say that it will be released in October. And knowing Columbia, there will probably be a Superbit edition down the road. Oh great, do I really want to see J. Lo and Ben Affleck in a high video bitrate and hear their voice in DTS 5.1? ;)

Well, the Razzies will be VERY interesting this year, with both From Justin to Kelly and Gigli both taking the "top" (if you can call it that) position. :D

poor kevin smith must be quaking in his boots after seeing the gigli press .. can't be a good omen for jersey girl.
No, not necessarily. Remember that all of the Kevin Smith fanboys will see this film no matter what the press is on it, and since it is Kevin Smith, it HAS to be good!

I hope the idiot who gave Gigli a $54 Million budget gets fired...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

They have replaced ad time paid for 'Gigli' with ads for 'Bad Boys II." And the theaters can't pull it after this week because they have a 3 week contractual obligation. But, already you'll see it playing in the smallest house of the multiplex, next it'll have showtimes shaved off, possibly down to 1 night showing and then after three weeks gone.

But, since this is Columbia I'm surprised we haven't already seen a DVD announcement. 'Glitter" was announced the Monday after it opened.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
GIGLI
GLITTER
SWEPT AWAY...

All from Columbia/Sony....are they trying for Chapter 13?

Would make a great Monster Horror Chiller Theater-with Count Floyd Triple Feature.

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I have never seen reviews as bad as for "Gigli"...I'd almost think they'd want to wait a while for people to forget all the bad press before releasing a DVD...!!!

The last time I checked rottentomatoes.com 93% of the reviews were negative...YIKES!!!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I think that all the Ben-J.Lo press hype really killed this one. People just get sick and tired of hearing it all the time. I too think the DVD will be out soon. The studio has to recoupe their money somehow. My wife didn't even want to go see this one!!!

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Mark, Sony isn't trying for Chapter 13. They only have a shitload of cash leftover from all of the money that Spider-Man made, and they just figure that they can make anything, no matter how it might do in the box office.

And those 3 movies could be an excellent "Monster Horror Chiller Theater-with Count Floyd Triple Feature." I could see Columbia making these films into a trilogy box set. They could call it, "The Movies That Brought Columbia Closer to Debt Trilogy." ;)

Or Sony could give those rights to MGM and they could make a "Midnite Movies Triple Feature" of them.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I just feel sorry for the other actors involved in this project. Now, who would put this on their resumé now after this movie tanked at the box office? I sure wouldn't.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
The movie is not that bad...critics are just a$$holes and need a movie to rip...I honestly...like Kev and some others didnt see much wrong with the film at all...a great cast...well written...and shot well...if you read most reviews...they barely mention the movie...its all about Ben and Jen...hell half of em probably never saw the film...

And it wont affect Jersey Girl cause Jennifer Lopez's character dies early in the movie giving birth and the rest of the movie is about Ben raising the girl and having a relationship with Liv Tyler.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm still amazed they found theaters willing to book this film period, let alone for three weeks. This was an obvious bomb in the making. I wouldn't want it stinking up my multi-plex if I were an exhibitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks