Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Gigli to be pulled from cinemas! Could this be the shortest cinema to DVD window yet?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 of 90 OFFLINE   Johnny G

Johnny G

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 03:06 AM

This article at MSN is reporting that the movie is expected to disappear completely in only two weeks when cinemas finish their three–week contractual obligations to screen the film.

With what's happened recently to poor Box Office performers, I can see this being on DVD by October or November at the latest.

#2 of 90 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 03:23 AM

And probably in a 2-disc collector's editionPosted Image

#3 of 90 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 03:23 AM

Probably 2-3 month window. They haven't announced it's DVD release date/specs yet though, and wasn't the announcement for the Justin/Kelly movie and Real Cancun posted just a week after their theatrical releases? So in theory, we'll know for sure in a couple weeks. Posted Image

#4 of 90 OFFLINE   Shaun Guidolin

Shaun Guidolin

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 03:30 AM

poor kevin smith must be quaking in his boots after seeing the gigli press .. can't be a good omen for jersey girl.
Shaun Guidolin - Webmaster
DV-DEPOT.com - Where Customer Service *Does* Matter
http://www.dv-depot.com

#5 of 90 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 03:45 AM

Lol. It scored a 1.5 on IMDB. Worst...Movie...Ever...

#6 of 90 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,793 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted August 08 2003 - 04:37 AM

Can it really be worse than Glitter?

#7 of 90 OFFLINE   JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 04:44 AM

Is this movie really that bad?? Or is this just the public's backlash again Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck? wow... ~Jason
~Jason

#8 of 90 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 04:52 AM

It's that bad. Even the producer said so.

#9 of 90 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:03 AM

Real Cancun was out for 3 weeks. I know they have pulled all ads for the film from our station, I don't know that they will pull it from theaters, but most, if they don't get receipts this week, will send it back.

#10 of 90 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:09 AM

WOW! This film must be horrible!

I will have to agree with all of you who say that it will be released in October. And knowing Columbia, there will probably be a Superbit edition down the road. Oh great, do I really want to see J. Lo and Ben Affleck in a high video bitrate and hear their voice in DTS 5.1? Posted Image

Well, the Razzies will be VERY interesting this year, with both From Justin to Kelly and Gigli both taking the "top" (if you can call it that) position. Posted Image

[quote] poor kevin smith must be quaking in his boots after seeing the gigli press .. can't be a good omen for jersey girl. [quote] No, not necessarily. Remember that all of the Kevin Smith fanboys will see this film no matter what the press is on it, and since it is Kevin Smith, it HAS to be good!

I hope the idiot who gave Gigli a $54 Million budget gets fired...
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#11 of 90 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,175 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:18 AM

They have replaced ad time paid for 'Gigli' with ads for 'Bad Boys II." And the theaters can't pull it after this week because they have a 3 week contractual obligation. But, already you'll see it playing in the smallest house of the multiplex, next it'll have showtimes shaved off, possibly down to 1 night showing and then after three weeks gone. But, since this is Columbia I'm surprised we haven't already seen a DVD announcement. 'Glitter" was announced the Monday after it opened.

#12 of 90 OFFLINE   AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:19 AM

[cartman]Kick Ass[/cartman] I love it when over-hyped stars tank like this.
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#13 of 90 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:34 AM

GIGLI GLITTER SWEPT AWAY... All from Columbia/Sony....are they trying for Chapter 13? Would make a great Monster Horror Chiller Theater-with Count Floyd Triple Feature.
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#14 of 90 OFFLINE   Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:42 AM

I have never seen reviews as bad as for "Gigli"...I'd almost think they'd want to wait a while for people to forget all the bad press before releasing a DVD...!!! The last time I checked rottentomatoes.com 93% of the reviews were negative...YIKES!!!

#15 of 90 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:43 AM

I think that all the Ben-J.Lo press hype really killed this one. People just get sick and tired of hearing it all the time. I too think the DVD will be out soon. The studio has to recoupe their money somehow. My wife didn't even want to go see this one!!!

#16 of 90 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:45 AM

Mark, Sony isn't trying for Chapter 13. They only have a shitload of cash leftover from all of the money that Spider-Man made, and they just figure that they can make anything, no matter how it might do in the box office.

And those 3 movies could be an excellent "Monster Horror Chiller Theater-with Count Floyd Triple Feature." I could see Columbia making these films into a trilogy box set. They could call it, "The Movies That Brought Columbia Closer to Debt Trilogy." Posted Image

Or Sony could give those rights to MGM and they could make a "Midnite Movies Triple Feature" of them.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#17 of 90 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:54 AM

I just feel sorry for the other actors involved in this project. Now, who would put this on their resumé now after this movie tanked at the box office? I sure wouldn't.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#18 of 90 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:54 AM

The movie is not that bad...critics are just a$$holes and need a movie to rip...I honestly...like Kev and some others didnt see much wrong with the film at all...a great cast...well written...and shot well...if you read most reviews...they barely mention the movie...its all about Ben and Jen...hell half of em probably never saw the film... And it wont affect Jersey Girl cause
Jennifer Lopez's character dies early in the movie giving birth and the rest of the movie is about Ben raising the girl and having a relationship with Liv Tyler.

#19 of 90 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,839 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted August 08 2003 - 06:01 AM

I'm still amazed they found theaters willing to book this film period, let alone for three weeks. This was an obvious bomb in the making. I wouldn't want it stinking up my multi-plex if I were an exhibitor.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#20 of 90 OFFLINE   Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 06:04 AM

[quote] The last time I checked rottentomatoes.com 93% of the reviews were negative [quote]The Tomatometer rating for Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever was exactly 0%. Out of 100 reviews, 100 were negative. Glitter, Gigli, and Swept Away... are Citizen Kane in comparison! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users