Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Angel" season two is widescreen, not full-frame as previously announced

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
200 replies to this topic

#21 of 201 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 02:39 AM

PhilipG,

yeah, I noticed a couple of those, too. The 4:3 outdoor shot Jari mentions is the most obvious one to me (it occurs during the episode "Dead End").
However I noticed that almost all of the other outdoor shots are actually stretched sideways to fill the (wide) screen whereas they were unstretched in the 4:3 version. In some cases, this even applies to mid-scene footage, e.g. there's a shot of the moon where the moon looks like a half deflated football. Then the camera slowly pans down to reveal Drusilla and Darla, but they're "unstretched" again.

And then, of course, there's various lip-synch issues of characters outside of the 4:3 frame I noticed. And you need to know that at the time I was convinced that 16:9 was the way to go, so I didn't keep an eye out for this stuff at first. Only when watched it I realized, "Whoah, something's wrong here".

Jari:
nobody's complaining about X-Files because it was released in WS by request of the creators/producer or whoever it was. I'm quite surprised that there's WS goofs in there.

Chris

#22 of 201 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 03:03 AM

Quote:
e.g. there's a shot of the moon where the moon looks like a half deflated football

Indeed, but a lot of shows tend to stretch these little scene-linking videos just to be "arty". Since I suppose that whole "speeded-up" look is meant to look arty too, I'm fine with it.

As for lip-synch problems, I didn't notice, but then again, with current QA on DVDs, I've trained myself to not noticing such faults. Posted Image

#23 of 201 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 03:19 AM

Quote:
Indeed, but a lot of shows tend to stretch these little scene-linking videos just to be "arty".
The moon thing wasn't part of a transitional sequences though, it was during a regular scene.

Chris

#24 of 201 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 04:07 AM

Oh. :b Shows what I know then. Posted Image

#25 of 201 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 04:48 AM

Quote:
So it seems XF S5 was relesed in wrong AR. When do we start campaigning Fox to release it 4:3?

When Chris Carter states that his preferred AR for them is 4:3

#26 of 201 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 06:04 AM

After hearing some of the mistakes in ANGEL SEASON 2, I don't really want 16:9 versions...

I'm perfectly happy with 4:3 until season 3. Posted Image

It's clear when WB said "No widescreen" for season 2, they composed it for 4:3 mostly.

#27 of 201 OFFLINE   Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 11:37 AM

Quote:
I'm perfectly happy with 4:3 until season 3. It's clear when WB said "No widescreen" for season 2, they composed it for 4:3 mostly.

Agreed.

I keep holding my breath, though, waiting for that long, arduous debate on the Buffy S4 thread to break out here again.

Hope it doesn't.

#28 of 201 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 10:00 AM

I got the first and sixth discs of the second season of "Angel" in the mail today, and I can confirm that it's presented in anamorphic widescreen at 1.78:1, not full-frame as some of the specs floating around had previously noted.

Very unexpected. I can post some screenshots later if anyone's curious.

#29 of 201 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 10:17 AM

I'd like to see some screenshots. Posted Image

How's the quality of the video BTW? Any improvement from season 1? Not that it was that bad or anything.

I was so sure this was going to be Full-Frame, and I wasn't upset. It seems Joss has say on what is released in Region 1. If it's widescreen, it must be mostly framed for it.

#30 of 201 OFFLINE   Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 10:21 AM

Fantabamundo!!!! Posted Image
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
15" LED Glossy Widescreen
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3 Vram

#31 of 201 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 10:42 AM

Posted Image

Whoops. Apparently this second image contains a spoiler, so rather than display it inline, you'll have to click on this link to see it. Consider yourself warned...

Posted Image

What little I've seen looks great, Daryl, but I've only popped these discs in my DVD-ROM, not my home theater.

#32 of 201 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 11:26 AM

As I understand it there are no crossovers between Angel season 2 and Buffy season 5, right? So I can go ahead & get AS2 and watch it without waiting for BS5 to come out? Or are there spoilers between the two that make that inadvisable? Paging Mr Kleist...

#33 of 201 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 11:39 AM

Well, the last shot of the last episode of the season ties in heavily with the finale of Buffy's fifth season...

The episode "Darla" also follows Buffy's "Fool for Love", though the individual stories are different...flashbacks are the connective thread between the two.

Neither are 'heavy' enough to recommend steering clear for a while or anything.

#34 of 201 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 11:39 AM

Quote:
As I understand it there are no crossovers between Angel season 2 and Buffy season 5, right? So I can go ahead & get AS2 and watch it without waiting for BS5 to come out? Or are there spoilers between the two that make that inadvisable? Paging Mr Kleist...

There ARE crossovers in Angel Season 2 and Buffy Season 5. Namely the "Fool for Love"/"Darla" episodes which actually include some of the same scenes, only from different perspectives(it'll make sense once you've seen it).

But the biggest reason to hold off til December for Buffy Season 5 is because the end of Angel Season 2 gives away what happened in the Buffy season finale. That last screenshot, in fact, is from the very last scene of the Angel finale.

Come to think of it, that shot of
Faith
is a bit of a spoiler too. Her appearance at the end of that episode is supposed to be a surprise.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#35 of 201 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 02:47 PM

Paging Jeff Kliest...

#36 of 201 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, where the hell is he..? Thought he'd be all over this thread...

#37 of 201 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 04:07 PM

Ah, I remember well the Fox claims: "R2 (UK) Angel season 2 will be the only widescreen version". More sucker me for believing them. Now I may have to get the R1 so Cordy sounds right again (her voice in particular is very noticably changed by the PAL speedup).

#38 of 201 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 05:13 PM

Quote:
Now I may have to get the R1 so Cordy sounds right again (her voice in particular is very noticably changed by the PAL speedup).

I was gonna replace the R2 set until I found out the "Previously on Angel" intros are once again missing on the R1 DVDs. Call me picky, but I gotta have those.

This doesn't bode well for Buffy Season 5 and "The Gift", BTW.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#39 of 201 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,081 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 08 2003 - 01:38 AM

Is it just me, or would every one of those shots look better cropped to 4:3? I'll assume the ME folks know what they are doing, but those three particular screen shots are not especially great examples of widescreen framing.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#40 of 201 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 01:39 AM

Bugger! I specifically picked up the R2 version from CD Wow because of the advance news of the R1 being 4:3. I probably would have waited for the domestic release otherwise.Posted Image

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow