Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hey im new here help please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Ross_-_GoLD

Ross_-_GoLD

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 12:23 PM

I have a new 32' sony wega and a sony dreamsystem what i am trying to do is have the surround sound on all the time even when im watching cable but i dont know how to do that i have a HD cable box and there is a digital out in the back of it but i dont know how to connect it and if its even possible. Thanks in advance.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 02:49 PM

The only way you'll get "Sourround Sound" all the time is if every program you are watching has a DD 5.1 soundtrack, or if you use a DPL mode from your receiver to create a surround effect for you. Most of the soundtracks on cable or Standard Def. OTA are going to be stereo or mono. The exceptions are PPV or premium stations like HBO or Showtime, and of course HDTV broadcasts that have a DD 5.1 sound track.

Make Sense?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 01:01 AM

I'm assuming you have a Motorola 5000DCT box, if not, ignore below.

Connect the digital out on the back of the cable box to a digital in on your receiver. Assign that digital in on the receiver to your TV video (it may be that the digital in for the TV is hard wired or already assigned, check your manual). Activate the digital out on your HD box (again, check the manual). Turn the audio out on the TV to "off" to prevent sound from the TV speakers. You will now get audio from the HD box to your receiver through the digital audio connection. It will not be DD 5.1 or even surround sound all the time, that depends on the source. Most TV shows are stereo or pro-logic. Some digital shows or movies are DD 5.1. However, you should get all audio, regardless of format, from the digital connection.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Ross_-_GoLD

Ross_-_GoLD

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for your help. I have a digital out on the HD cable box but i dont see one on my all in one dvd system.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 01:32 AM

What make and model is your all-in-one? You may not have the capability of hooking up an external digital source. This is one of the benefits of a separate receiver and DVD.