Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Hot Dog The Movie MGM strikes again!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 12:16 PM

Well I know I got it for free with this weeks BB promo but im really disapointed that this movie was released in Full screen. Its the same story as with Remo Williams (which has been discussed at length)but that still doesnt mean that it shouldnt have been released in its proper original aspect ratio. Im angry about Remo too. Its not like MGM doesnt do both OAR and fool screen. Put them both on if you have to but please give us the movie in its OAR.
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 02:53 PM

Was this a sequel or prequel to "Hamburger The Movie" where all the kids go to Hamburger University to learn how to work in some fast food restaurant? If so, then could that mean Hamburger the Movie is on its way! I would love to own that! Posted Image
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Bingo

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 12:38 AM

Sorry, not a sequel to Hamburger. This picture is about skiing.

BTW....I did NOT pick this up, even though I want the movie.

No OAR, No Sale!
Steve Blair

My DVD Collection

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 02:16 AM

Yep, I picked it up, thought Great, then looked at the aspect ratio and set it back down again. Tut, tut MGM. And you were doing so well there for a while. Posted Image

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Chet_F

Chet_F

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 03:07 AM

Yea...I already have the FOOL Screen copy....it's called VHS! NO OAR = NO SALE!!!! GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THINK HEAD MGM!!!
"If you’re lucky, people like something you do early and something you do just before you drop dead. That’s as many pats on the back as you should expect." - Warren Zevon 1993, R.I.P.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 03:28 AM

Quote:
Yea...I already have the FOOL Screen copy....it's called VHS!

But isn't it better to have it on DVD than VHS?

I bought a previously viewed copy of HOT DOG on VHS a few years ago when a store was going out of business. It was barely watchable the tape was in such bad shape. The DVD won't deteriorate.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 04:50 AM

MGM is obviously going downhill. It's just preposterous to include include both full frame and widescreen on "Valley Girl" and "The Sure Thing" and then turn around and just put full-frame on the dvd releases of "Hot Dog" and Remo Williams to name a couple.... Why????

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 06:23 AM

Jon thats why I picked it up. My copy was an EP (speed) recorded copy from a lousy cable signal from like 10years ago. Its a cult classic!!!
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 06:32 AM

I got Hot Dog: The Movie despite it's full-frameness only because it was free with Valley Girl and The Sure Thing. Otherwise I'd have skipped it, despite it being a guilty pleasure of mine...

"What the fuck is Chinese Downhill?"

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 06:33 AM

Quote:
MGM is obviously going downhill. It's just preposterous to include include both full frame and widescreen on "Valley Girl" and "The Sure Thing" and then turn around and just put full-frame on the dvd releases of "Hot Dog" and Remo Williams to name a couple.... Why????

Mainly because they are HOT DOG and REMO WILLIAMS, two lesser 80's movies. VALLEY GIRL and THE SURE THING are 80's classics. Acclaimed by audiences and critics. Even LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN is enough of a cult hit that they OARed that. They can warrant that treatment.

HOT DOG and REMO WILLIAMS are not going to sell enough to justify the expense of remastering them and such.

MGM does do a good job, they do put out OAR of most of the titles. But for some lesser titles, they don't. They should, but you shouldn't write them off because of it.

I mean the amount of people who care about OAR AND would buy HOT DOG only if it is OAR is so small, it isn't worth bothering with.

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 07 2003 - 09:58 AM

I never liked Remo, but I'd have to acknowledge that it is definitely a cult film. I have friends who think its one of the best films of the eighties.

With the way DVD has taken off, there's no reason not to release every film in the proper OAR.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Bingo

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 01:11 AM

Quote:
there's no reason not to release every film in the proper OAR

Absolutely agreed!
Steve Blair

My DVD Collection

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 02:39 AM

I may be a weirdo (well, OK, I am a weirdo) but I'd buy Hot Dog and Remo Williams before I'd ever consider Valley Girl or The Sure Thing. In fact I can't imagine buying the latter two under almost any circumstances.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 02:53 AM

Quote:

I disagree. Although I am a fan of OAR, I dont think it has anything to do with what films are of a lesser degree or not, or even that MGM is going downhill, it mainly has to do with a cost to profitability scale.

I don't work for MGM, but I can reasonably hypothesize that when a movie comes up for release to DVD, some marketing people talk to accounting people who talk to the tech people, and they weigh the cost of finding a usable widescreen transfer and mastering it to DVD in anamorphic widescreen as opposed to a full frame. Its possible that in the case of an open matte film, the only film elements were the unmatted theatrical copy, or worse, a pre-cropped pan and scan version.

If the cost to find and/or make a proper OAR version outweighs the demand for a movie, whichever costs the studio less is what will get released.

In defense to MGM, at least all their full frame discs are being sold cheaply. Its not like MGM is taking movies that they know will be big sellers, releasing them full frame only, and then charging $27.99 for them like some studios (cough Columbia Cough) do.

If this sounds like I am defending non-OAR, I am not, but you guys have to realize that EVERY movie has its fans, but sometimes, cult status amongst a few hundred people on the internet, doesn't mean the movie will make enough money for a studio to spend the time to give it a proper release. If I had my way, all movies would be 16x9 enhanced in OAR, however, I understand thats not the case. Isn't it enough that some of these obscure movies are still available to be seen at all?
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 11:08 AM

Also they also released Johnny Be Good only in full screen, I am not happy about it not being in OAR but I picked it up anyways.

I like the movie that much and this my first full screen purchase. I am not happy with MGM on this one but I only paid $13.99 CDN if it would have any higher it would have been a non purchase.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 10:09 AM

They did do a good job on Last American Virgin. I would have bought Hot Dog also if it weren't formatted to fit my screen.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 10:24 AM

It's too bad I can't relish Hot Dog in its original aspect ratio. This way it doesn't pass the mustard.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   DeanR

DeanR

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 01:17 PM

Jeff Posted Image Posted Image

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor

• 809 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 03:33 AM

Quote:
MGM does do a good job, they do put out OAR of most of the titles. But for some lesser titles, they don't. They should, but you shouldn't write them off because of it.

Thank you! I'm glad somebody finally agrees with me! I'm tired of people complaining about MGM when they do quality product 9 times out of 10. Universal, and even Fox have become 10 times worse than MGM.

"My advice to young film-makers is this: Don't follow trends. Start them!" -- Frank Capra

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 04:23 AM

Quote:
I'm tired of people complaining about MGM when they do quality product 9 times out of 10.

Well, when they do a shitty job on entire lines (like their World Films) they deserve the flack. What is important to me are the films I'm interested in, and if they are going to release old, crappy, overcompressed versions of those, then I have no reason to praise them for the titles I don't want that they "do right". What their approach does is stop me from buying ANY of their product until I know damn well I'm not getting junk.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow