Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is this a KILLER deal for Snell setup?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 09:31 AM

Can you guys let me know what you think about this. An associate of mine, someone I trust, is in need of money real bad. He just sold 200 DVDs for $1300. I was pissed he didn't tell me about this because I would've picked some out for myself. Anyway, he's offering me the following for $1000:

All Snell:

Center - XA55CR
Sub - PS.10
4 Rears - SR.5
Fronts - E5 Towers

He's also throwing in a massive monster cable that he says costs $500. He says he has receipts for everything totalling over $6000.

I know nothing about Snell. I looked around and found the following:

PS.10 sells for $1200 now. Seems to be a 1999 model.

SR.5 are $700 now. Also a 1999 model. I do wonder if that $700 is for 2 speakers or 4. He's giving me 4.

XA55CR seems to be $1300, also 1999.

E.5 Towers go for $700, also 1999.

What do you guys think? Any concerns considering the age? He says they are a few years old. He has receipts so I can verify this. He claims he's never blasted them too loud.

Looking at the MSRP, I feel as if I'm ripping him off. But he neesd the money bad and I can barely afford $1,000. I may ask him to go $900 and throw in a full bitrate DTS DVD.

Let me know what you think.
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted August 06 2003 - 10:44 AM

That's a good deal (if you like Snell) and $1k is more than fair. Don't take advantage of your friend just because he desperately needs $$$.

Snell is a good brand and these speakers should last quite awhile.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 10:54 AM

Not really a friend, but an associate. And $1000 is tight for me, hence the possible offer of $900. Also, he's a smoker, so they're going to stink for a while! Yuck.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 02:32 PM

I take it you've heard them and yes it's a decent deal. At worse you could ebay them for more than you paid.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Bill_Mis

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 03:13 AM

I'm a big fan and owner of Snell and for that combo of speakers you are getting an absolute steal. Just that center channel alone is arguably worth that much. I know because I have one. My system is slightly different because I have the XA-60's instead of the E's but have the same back channels. If the work associate needs money do him a favor and give him the asking price as you most definitely could piece out the system for far more than 1K. Snell is great sound quality so I seriously doubt that you will.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 03:39 AM

I'm planning on going over to his place on Friday to hear them, so I'll definitely hear them before buying.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Andrew JC

Andrew JC

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 01:09 PM

That is a very sweet deal! I have the K.5's just remember the towers are rated at 4ohms so I hope you have a decent amp to power them. Good luck...