What's new

Reference Quality Games? (1 Viewer)

Jim Sit

Grip
Does anybody here ever use games to demo your HT systems? Some of the newer games push my system almost as much as a reference quality DVD. Obviously the criteria would have to be the same: a truly outstanding presentation on all fronts: video, audio, and interest for the audience.

I think its high time that a list of reference quality games be compiled for those of us that would like to demonstrate our systems with a "multimedia" presentation.

Here are my entries:

Halo - DD 5.1 Soundtrack, awesome visual and sound effects. This one is obvious.

Rez - Really shows off the vibrant colors that my 47" Panasonic RPTV can produce; incredible sound and music.

What other games would you put in this category?

James St

Supporting Actor
The opening cut scene of Star Wars:KOTOR is better than a lot of movie trailers. Its perfect for demo material.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Panzer Dragoon Orta probably has the best all-around presentation for the Xbox.

-gorgeous & creative graphics with 16:9 support
-excellent 5.1 sound with great score
-beautiful cut-scenes

(Halo isn't 5.1 - no center channel)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I always throw in World Series Baseball 2K3 for the Xbox. Nothing like a 720P game to make people's mouths drop.

Glen

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I like the sound of Enter The Matrix on PS2. Yeah, it's only Dolby Pro-Logic 2, but it still packs quite a punch. I can feel the bass upstairs when my brother plays it! ;)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I would count Halo as a reference quality game. Had I not read it here at HTF I wouldn't have noticed the lack of a center channel either. Halo 4.1 sounds better than any of the 5.1 games that I've played.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I try to show people Amplitude in order to give them an idea of how bizarre, unique, and intriguing games have become, and it also looks gorgeous on the big screen (albeit without 5.1 or HD).

I haven't tried out any X-Box games in HD yet, but I will sometime soon I hope.

I'm not so sure the opening for KotOR is reference quality. On my regular TV, you can see some artifacts from video compression for some in-game clips. The music also changes the direction its going in (from a "hopeless" sound to a "determined" sound without a very good transition in between). Even so, much of the footage is good, albeit mostly not in-game stuff.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I like to show off Jedi Knight 2 on my nforce-based PC...the DD5.1 is just awesome!

UT2003 gets honorable mention.

Halo of course...I can't wait for the PC version!

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
My user ID is a clever riddle!
Ico! No, seriously, Ico! I don't believe it to be even coded for DPLII but it sounds fantastic, and contains perhaps the world's most beautifully rendered tree.

Soul Calibur II for GC looks wonderful on my HD. So does LoZ: Windwaker. Actually, believe it or not, Super Smash Bros. looks pretty amazing. Implementation of DPLII is great across the board. Sure, that component video cable from Nintendo is kinda pricey, but certainly worth it.

First level of Medal of Honor is sure to impress most people. Talk about being immersed.

Not to mention the DOA titles for XBOX.

References games out there? Damn right. In fact, it wasn't for Halo online being released soon, I wouldn't even consider going back to the computer for gaming.

Hurry up Halo 2. Sure to be another reference title.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
If you have a Pro-Logic II capable system, Star Wars: Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II for the GameCube not only offers up some amazing visuals, but also one of the most satisfying and aggressive soundtracks in any game. In fact, I would dare say that it is as good, if not better, than many of the 5.1 DD tracks I've heard on the Xbox.

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
My user ID is a clever riddle!
Actually, I was first prompted to upgrade to my Denon 3802 just for DPLII and Rouge Leader. Turns out the upgrade was more than worth it. I've enjoyed tons of coded and non-coded sources with it. Major improvement over old DPL.

Speaking of DPLII and GC. Eternal Darkness would be another pick. Excellent, spooky use of surround sound.

I think I need to go home and play some games now. ;)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Wipeout XL for PSone.

Best job of implementing an already great soundtrack into a game. The visual designs by DR bring the whole package together.

Yea, it's a PSone game but turn on texture smoothing on your PS2 and you'll be amazed how well it stands up today.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Enter the Matrix in 1080i makes my 57" RPTV look like a computer monitor!!! It's too bad the games dark and mono-chromatic visuals don't take full advantage of the resolution. The music is very well done but effects and dialog directionality is a bit wanting.

Halo looks unbelievable when using the HiDef AV pack.

KOTOR has great enveloping 5.1 sound.

When is 16:9 and 1080i/720p going to be standard for all games?:frowning: .

Todd_B

Second Unit
My vote goes to Mech Assault. Turn it up and I guarantee your house will be rocking!

Todd B

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
When is 16:9 and 1080i/720p going to be standard for all games?
When the hardware will support those resolutions for most games, not just ones with not much happening and awful textures. They'll start being widescreen around the time devs decide that the widescreen support they program doesn't look the same as the 'zoom' mode on most tvs.

I could swear there's sound out of the center channel for halo. I certainly get sound out of my rear center with forced ex processing.

Parts of splinter cell are really great. It's fun to pan around when someone is talking to you so their voice comes out of different speakers. The visuals are excellent.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't pick Halo for video. The graphics are fairly jagged and I'd have a hard time picking 4:3 material for demo reference.

For visuals, Burnout 2(Xbox), Dead or Alive 3(Xbox), and Primal (PS2) are all excellent candidates.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks