What's new

Sammy DLP model diffs (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know the difference bewtween the HLN437W & the HLN4365W? The HLN4365W comes up more expensive. A clerk at ABT told me that it has anti-burn in features which account for the price difference. Couldnt find it on the Samsung site either.

Sounds fishy to me.

Fr. John

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I might be mistaken,
but the "anti-burn in feature" does sound fishy. No DLP sets suffer from burn in, to my knowlege.

The more expensive one sounds like their premium TANTUS line. Slicker outsides, perhaps more standard features.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hopefully the clerk at ABT is just ignorant and not trying to pull one on you. Chris is correct - DLP displays are not susceptible to burn-in at all. I tried a quick search and could not find the difference between the models you listed. Both have DVI inputs, both have PC RGB inputs, both have 2 HD compatible component inputs. One site lists the HLN4365W as having "DNIe Digital Natural Image Engine for Enhanced Video Performance" - perhaps this is an upgraded video processing engine over the other model (I know that improved electronics is one of the main differences between the Sony 500 and 600 series - and it's usually not listed in most advertisements).

With standard RPTVs (again, like the Sonys) higher models usually have an anti-glare screen that is absent on the lower-end models. Would a feature like this be included on a DLP set considering how bright they are to begin with? I'm not really sure - but that's always a possibility.

Does anyone else know the difference?

-Jason

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I've read that there really is no difference; the different model numbers are provided for different retail outlets. No idea how true that is. Seems kinda questionalbe to me, but that's all I've ever heard about it.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
The 437w has a black bezel, Faoudja film mode 3/2 pulldown, white balance and color optimizer, and noise reduction with 3D motion optimizer.

Scott

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Could you provide a bit of explanation as to those features i.e. what is the advantage/disadvantage to the Faroudja pull down, etc.?

Thanks.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
in doing my research they are identical except for the bezel color and the Faroudja logo.

They both use the same Faroudja chip however and are internally identical.

The difference in price is accounted for in two ways.
1. they pay an additional fee to place the Faroudja logo on the TV
2. They needed to differentiate the models for sale in high end stores and lower end stores so they made cosmetic changes.

In short these are the same TV.

MarcD

Auditioning
A bit more info:
From what I read, the 437W is from the Tantus line (and the list price is higher). It has an "ultra-thin bezel" and is somewhat lighter than the 4365W (66.1 vs 69.4 lbs) which has an "alternate cabinet design". The dimensions of the 437W is 29.7h X 40.5w X 15.7d which is 1.8 inches less wide than the 4365W.

MarcD

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
Just to confirm Doug_H--these sets are functionally identical (as long as you are comparing HLN sets. The older HLM series is different from the newer HLN). The only differences are cosmetic (silver bezel/base on the 65W vs. dark grey bezel and labels on the 7W). This has been confirmed by a Samsung rep on avsforum and numerous people from the service menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks