Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bookshelves for Dorm Room

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ben Lindell

Ben Lindell

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 05:50 AM

I recently bought a Denon DRA 685 for music listening in my dorm room and I have yet to find speakers to go on the receiver. I have listened to Titans and some Boston bookshelves, both seemed lacking in different areas.

Basically, I need a recommendation for a good set of bookshelf speakers that have a pretty flat response. I am on a budget here because of college but I really dont want to sacrifice quality. Space is also an issue because of the dorm room setting. Im a newbie to this and it seems a daunting task to me to pick a speaker that is right for me in my application.

Thank you for your help
Ben

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 07:01 AM

Ascend Acoustic CBM 170's will fit your needs pretty well. Do a search on this forum, you will much information.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 07:03 AM

I'll second Ascend 170s.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Kevinkall

Kevinkall

Second Unit

• 331 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 07:11 AM

Paradigm Atoms, you can't go wrong!!!

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   CurtisSC

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 07:37 AM

Kevin,

Why Atoms over Titans....especially since Ben thought the Titans were lacking?
curtis
Manhattan Beach, California

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Troy R

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 07:50 AM

How about the Ed Frias EFE design (look for it on this page)

http://www.speakerci...ts.shtml#efekit

reviews for the speaker:

http://www.audiorevi...43_1594crx.aspx

I haven't heard them but I keep reading good things about them...

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 08:22 AM

Quote:
Ben Lindell
- "Basically, I need a recommendation for a good set of bookshelf speakers that have a pretty flat response."

Then I recommend the JBL S26 which is available for www.salestores1.com for $156.79 (pair) + Shipping (est. $36.00?) - Yahoo 5-Star rated Top Service Internet Webstore.

The JBL S26 was Subjectively & Objectively Benchmarked by Home Theater Magazine ... by Clint Walker "Studio Series" S-Center/S26 Spkr Pkg which he wrote on May 20, 2000 ...

Quote:
...the JBL system measured very flat in the lab; in fact, it had the flattest response of any ensemble in the roundup. . . .

I recommend the JBL ensemble for people who tend to listen to their music flat, with no enhancements on bass or treble. The JBL Studio ensemble offers excellent bang for the buck for those who are looking to get their feet wet in home theater.

-----

... the quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the Studio series' S26 mains/surrounds ...

On-axis response of the S26 L/R measures +1.7/-1.4 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 48 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 43 Hz.

The JBL Studio Series incorporates technologies and design innovations derived from JBL's PRO TEC Award Winning LSR Recording Studio Monitors, which are known for their neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality.

Probably the best recommendation comes from a Blind Test performed @ Harman's blind-testing room called the Multichannel Listening Lab (MLL). Scott Wilkinson wrote in his on-line OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY article for Electronic Musician, Jul 1, 2001 ...

Quote:
During a recent visit with several other audio journalists, I participated in a sample test run in the MLL, which was conducted by Sean Olive, manager of subjective evaluation for Harman International. Three consumer speakers were mounted behind the grille cloth: a Boston Acoustics CR8, a B&W DM601, and a JBL S26. At the end of the testing, we learned that most of us had ranked the JBL S26 as the best speaker on most clips, which certainly pleased our hosts.

For more INFO on Harman's Multichannel Listening Lab, read over Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction by Dr. Floyd E. Toole Vice President Acoustical Engineering Harman International. Dr. Floyd Toole White Paper basically says ...

Quote:
(pg. 20)
ALL of the most preferred loudspeakers are ones that exhibit the flattest, smoothest families of curves. They exhibit the fewest, and the lowest level, resonances. They have the flattest, smoothest, widest bandwidth frequency responses when measured from all angles.

... which the JBL N- & S-Series consumer speakers have accomplished their goals, (the S-Series is the 3rd JBL consumer line designed utilizing Dr. Floyd Toole "Science of Audio" - White Paper) based on their numerous subjective & objective accolades!

Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Ben Lindell

Ben Lindell

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 05:21 PM

First of all, I want to thank you all for your responses.
I am on a pretty tight budget and I would like to stay under 300 for my speakers. I looked at Wharfdale 8.1's because of the good rating as well as the Axiom line.
does anyone have an opinion on these speakers?

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Debbie_L

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 06:10 PM

Hey Ben,

You've already received some good suggestions -- check out the links below for a few more:

http://www.audioadvi....?sku=MIRFRX3CH

http://www.audioshop...lquistmains.htm (Keep in mind that prices listed are in Canadian dollars -- the exchange rate is in your favor so you'll pay much less in US dollars)

http://www.partsexpr....=300-640&DID=7 (If you don't mind building your own speakers, you could put this kit together in an afternoon. These speakers are highly regarded here at HTF and on other boards as well.)

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Debbie

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 12:26 PM

http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B11.htm

how bout the SCH k05b11?...surprisingly flat response

down just 6db at 46hz...

the only downside is that they start to distort at 95db...but if you don't listen at very loud levels...you should be a-ok

oh yeah...they are only $140

edit: they aren't shielded...i'm not sure if that's a problem for you

edit again: i'd also recommend the ascends

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Ben Lindell

Ben Lindell

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 12:29 PM

That might not be too good because my receiver is rated at 100 wpc. and those are rated at 50w continuous.
I found on jandr.com that the S26's are 150 with free shipping.

Im leaning toward those right now, with the mirages coming in second.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 02:43 PM

Both the Axioms and Wharfedale Diamonds are fantastic speakers and would make an excellent choice. The Axiom is the better speaker of the two, but the Diamonds are by no means a slouch. In fact, at their price point, the Diamonds are one of my personal favorites; providing excellent value for the dollar. I havn't heard the Ascends yet, but they are well reputed. I think if you choose any one of these three, you will have made a solid decision.

Lastly, if you have acess to a Wharfedale dealer near you, give the Diamonds a listen and then ask to listen to some Evo(Pacific Evolution) series bookshelfs. The Evo's are much better than the Diamonds and sill maintain an excellent value for the dollar (and they are nice on the eye with their real wood veneer). Off the top of my head, I think you can get into the Evo 8 bookshelf for just over $300 USD.

Best regards
Knowledge is power

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   keir

keir

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 02:48 PM

i would say axiom or ascend. i havnt heard ascend but people usually say they're very similar to the axioms. i own paradigm atoms, paradigm titans, and axiom m2i. the axiom m2i are pretty flawless for my purposes. if you arent using a subwoofer the m3ti might do better, but the m2i is extremely accurate through midrange and treble frequencies (m3ti is a little recessed in the midrange in comparison). definately the axiom are better speakers than the paradigms.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   george king

george king

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 03:48 PM

check out the RAD Micros at $200/pair at
www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com You get custom made speakers in one of 3 finishes of your choice, made by a guy who does fantastic work.

Hope this helps.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Steve-sas

Steve-sas

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 04:27 PM

I have that exact reciever and I am currently using a pair of Polk RT25is along with a set of Classic Large Advents on the B side and I am extremely pleased with the results. The Denon goes well with the Polk RT series. This speaker is hard to find now but Polk's next generation of this speaker (RTi28) is being upgraded so this speaker can be had for under $200. I currently use a small sub with the RT25i but they did a pretty good job without the sub. If you have a Circuit City close by go give the RTi28s (or maybe the step-up RTi38s) a listen or check them out at Crutchfield. I think they may meet your criteria for a flat response. I have found that Polk is an underrated Co. and their speakers offer excellent value for the price.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Scott_N

Scott_N

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 02:42 AM

Acoustic Energy Evo 2's. They retail for $299 and they are very smooth and clear.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Curt Gilker

Curt Gilker

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 06:38 AM

Ben

JBL S26's for $150 with free shipping is a solid deal, and I believe you will be happy with them. They are fairly efficient, producing good volume without requiring lots of power. The Denon should power them sufficiently, certainly enough for a dorm room.

I have the Axiom M3ti's, compared them against the JBL S38's, and for my purposes (100% music, wide variety), the Axioms are better. Where the S38's stood out vs. the Axiom was its ability to "rock" harder (i.e. more sense of "slam"). Axiom overall was superior on detail, space, image, clarity, etc.

My 2 cents.

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

Forum Nav Content I Follow