Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Craig Oberg

Craig Oberg

• 32 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 03:40 AM

I’ve been lurking on the forum for a good few years now. I hate to admit it but I only registered to enter a SVS contest. It’s a good thing I didn’t win because I would have felt guilty for taking advantage of the system. I sleep better knowing I paid for mine myself. The search function can usually answer all my questions, but this time my luck has failed me. So, I figure I’ll pose my question and throw in my two cents on the 563-A I’ll start with the questions so everyone can be spared from reading the rest of my ramblings (don’t worry, I don’t blame you) Weird things happen through the 5.1 outputs on the DVD-A discs I have that require you to switch from 5.1 to 2Ch in an Audio Set-up menu instead of having the choice of multi-channel or stereo on the Top Menu. The discs being, Steely Dan – Everything Must Go and Donald Fagan –Kamakiriad. Has anyone else experienced this? Let me explain what I’m getting. On the everything must go disc, when 2ch is selected and played through the 5.1 outputs, to let the player handle the BM, the center channel is filled with distortion. My brother and I were grooving along with the 5.1 mix and when it finished I switched to the stereo tracks to reinstate the groove, but we were stopped dead in our tracks with a mysterious distortion. I got off the couch to investigate and was shocked that distortion was coming out of the center speaker, which had no business making any kind of noise at all. I unplugged the center cable from the 563-A and all was well. Strange to say the least, but I kept switching from 5.1 to 2CH to try to make the distortion go away and to make sure I wasn’t crazy. With Kamakiriad, I listened to the 5.1 mix because that’s just what started playing. Then I switched to the stereo mix to listen to Snowbound because I felt like it. It didn’t sound quite right so I listened to different tracks and came to the conclusion that something was amiss. The bass around the crossover frequency was distorted and not much was coming o ut of the sub. Same with this one, stayed up too late switching back and forth between the 6ch inputs and the 2ch inputs to make sure the difference wasn’t imaginary. Now, this doesn’t happen at all on any of the other DVD-A or SACDs I have, although I admit I don’t have many. The other ones being: REM – Automatic for the People Steely Dan – Two Against Nature Donald Fagen – The Nightfly Rolling Stones – Aftermath (SACD) Police – EBYT (SACD) Pink Floyd – DSOTM For all but the two dvd-a’s with audio set-up menus, the stereo mixes play fine out of the 5.1 outputs of the 563-A with BM and all. Heck, even cd’s play fine through the 5.1 outs, with BM. Whether the BM is perfect or not is out of my league, but I’ve been able to get a pleasing result after a little tinkering with evels that I’m happy with it. The solution, of course, is to play stereo tracks through the 2ch out of the 563-A to the analog stereo inputs of my Marantz (Sr-7000) and let the Marantz do the BM on all two-channel sources. That’s what I’ve been doing since, but my laziness to press a few buttons or program a macro is what got me into this. I would have saved myself a bunch of typing if I would have just pressed a few buttons. At first I thought it was a software problem with the Dan’s – EMG disc, but when it happened again with Kamakiriad I noticed the only thing they have in common (well, besides Fagen and Becker) is the Audio Set-Up menu for switching 5.1 and 2ch. If anyone feels like trying to recreate the same phenomena, I’d be grateful because if no one can get it to happen to them, I think I’ll head down to the Best Buy to swap it out for replacement. It took longer to ask my question than I had planned, so I’ll save my impressions of the player for later. But make no mistake, I’m thrilled with Hi-Rez and the player is worth every penny for what you get at such an affordable price. I’m a happy camper. Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users