What's new

Best Buy's New Rewards Program...thoughts? (2 Viewers)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
To those unfamiliar with Best Buy's Rewards Program, you can see the details here.

Short version:

You pay 10 bucks for a card that gives 100 points for (nearly*) every dollar spent at Best Buy. And then you get $5 Gift Cards for each tier you reach. (The first gift card is delivered at 12,500 points.) (* "nearly" comes from the Best Buy explanation, and I don't know what that means)

It sounds a whole lot like AMC's Moviewatcher program...only you gotta pay 10 bucks to get on board.

I've yet to sign up, but I suspect I will on my next trip to BB. If anyone's gotten their card yet, can you give us the scoop on how the points work/if it's worth the fee? Yeah, it's only ten duckets, I know. I'm just curious to hear some reactions before I sign up.

Thanks!

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Any program that requires me to pay a fee in order to be recognized as a preferred customer shows exactly how special I am. The only reward in Best Buy's "Reward Zone" program is the $10 going in the company's pocket. This program is purely a sucker play.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
They give the card free to their BB credit card holders. But what amounts to $5 off for $125 spent is not much to write home about.

- Steve

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
So I have to spend $250 to get my initial $10 back, then spend $125 more to get $5, so that amounts to spending $375 just to get $5. I don't think so. I'll stick with the Borders coupons.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Since I got mine free in the mail, I don't think it too bad. I bought a wireless router and accessories for my home network and that was over $125. But after rebates, I'm only paying around $60 for it. So it seems to work well for me. Now if I have to pay for it, I will not renew.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I've already decided that when I have to pay next year, it's not going to be worth it for me.

I got one free from them, and got the 5000 bonus points right off the bat, and then used a dummy email account to get 3500 bonus points. I've purchased 2 games in the last month that were $40 a piece, so I've already got the $5 gift cert coming.

I look at it this way. I'm already spending some money at Best Buy, I might as well get a few bucks back every once in a while.

Glen

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"so that amounts to spending $375 just to get $5"

That has got to be far and away the WORST I have ever seen a company try to put the screws to their customers. What a joke.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you pay for it, yeah it may not be worth it for you. Also totally depends on your shopping habits.

I got a free offer in the mail, and I've already put $300+ on it (printer, DVDs, CDs, video games) in the first month, so I'm going to be getting $15 in coupons shortly. And come October & November (Indy & LoTR) not to mention the TV shows I have to buy for my girlfriend to keep her happy (Friends, Buffy, Angel and Smallville), that will translate to quite a few $5. So many that I may actually consider paying to renew in one year (that's still very in the air). Oh, and photo paper for my new photo printer gets expensive, that's another expense. And now I'm ramping up to buy an SACD player (and of course SACDs). So for me, this is totally worth it.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It really boils down to how much you spend at BB to begin with. If like me you spend a hell of a lot there, this is like a 4% discount and that's fine with me. But you'll be hurting if you end up going to BB just so you can use the card. And the $10 fee is adding injury to insult.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely right, Mark. I never buy from BB unless they're the lowest price around (or good combo of price and convenience, i.e. I'll pay a little more for instant gratification).

Unfortunately for me that means I buy most every electronics needs there, hardware, software, games, etc. So this card makes sense to me.

Someone spending less than $500 year there would not really benefit from this, especially if they have to pay for the card initially (which I did not).

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I spend buttloads at Best Buy already, and I received the card for free. I am not sure why; I'm not a BB credit card holder either, but I am on their "Preferred Customer" list. I think it's because I bought an extended warranty on my PS2.

Anyway, since I drop so much bread there anyhow, it's a good deal. But for $10 a year... you'd have to spend $250 to break even, and another $125 to receive a discount. However, they do have promotions (double points certain weeks; 5000 for signing up; 3500 for registering an email address; etc.) that might make it more worthwhile.

I say go for it if you already spend significant amounts of shekels at Best Buy.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Plus you have to spend each $125 in a limited amounted of time, so for me, it would just be something that would make me feel fettered and hassled. And it doesn't work online, either.

I got a free card in the mail, promptly lost it, and don't care. Good riddance.

d

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Plus you have to spend each $125 in a limited amounted of time, so for me, it would just be something that would make me feel fettered and hassled.
I believe this is incorrect, as someone in the other thread in After Hours posted. The points you accumulate do not expire, rather the $5 gift certificate/voucher/whatever has an expiration date. Again, for those of us who are the ones who should be taking advantage of this (i.e. the guys who go in and buy every week) this is a non-issue. I don't think I've gone two successive weeks without purchasing something from BB, whether it be CD, DVD whatever.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
This is marketing, pure and simple marketing by Best Buy. I was part of the pilot program since I live in California. I assume it was successful since they've gone nation wide. I received a free RZ card last year and in the last few weeks received a second free renewal card. I've never paid one cent to participate in this program. It wouldn't be worth it if you weigh all your shopping options. It really depends on how and where you shop. Keep in mind you've got to spend a lot to get a little. I did receive two $5.00 gift certificates good on two purchases but each item had to be at least $10.00 or higher. The dvds I wanted were actually cheaper from DeepDiscountDVD without using any gift certificate.

Jeff

Brian E

Screenwriter
That has got to be far and away the WORST I have ever seen a company try to put the screws to their customers.
Screws, how so??? If you use it you get 4% back. If you don't you get nothing. I'm not saying it's any kind of super deal, but how are they putting the screws to their customers? They could just do nothing, they did this because the Suncoast program is so successful & people asked for it.

I got a free one. I figure what I'll do is see what I get back in this first year & then make an informed decision about if it's for me or not. I won't bash it until I've tried it. I spend $500+ there a year so for me a few bucks back won't hurt.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Carlo, you are right, I am sorry. In any case, you still have to spend the certificates w/in 90 days, and at least for me, that is far more often than I troop into BB. I do online mostly, and rarely at BB at that save for new releases. Now, YMMV, as might mine if I won the lottery and went in for a big screen setup, etc. For now though, I don't like the time pressure, since my usage is fairly low.
I used to do the coffee card where I work, but the hassle and guilt from losing them, not using them, finding half used ones in pockets, etc. Egads, not worth the savings. I love bargain hunting, but sometimes after a bargain hunting bender, I realize that the "pay" in savings is surely below even my modest income.

But, back to the correction, you are correct and here is the text from the BB website:

"Get Rewards
For every 12,500 Reward Zone™ points you earn, you will automatically receive a $5 Reward Zone™ Certificate redeemable toward the purchase of any eligible product or service priced at $10 or higher at participating Best Buy locations. At the time a Certificate is issued, 12,500 points are deducted from your account. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery of Certificates. Certificates may be used in conjunction with other discounts or offers towards the purchase of products not to exceed purchase amount. Each Certificate must be redeemed within 90 days from the date it is issued. Certificates have a cash value of 1/100th of a cent. No photocopies or facsimiles accepted. Certificates are not valid on prior purchases, certain products and services, purchase of Gift Cards, as payment on your Best Buy credit card or for tax. You may be notified of additional ineligible products and services. Other restrictions may apply. Certificates are not redeemable towards online purchases. Lost or stolen Certificates will not be replaced."

Dan

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No apologies necessary, Dan. Clearly this card is not for everyone. Anyone who only occasionally buys from BB would not be served well at all.

However I think it's obvious from this thread that there are some of us who suffer from a form of "BB sickness" to whom this card clearly makes sense. The ironic thing is that apparently those of us who would benefit the most from it also got it for free. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks