Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

When Viewing An Image of Star-Filled Night...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 04 2003 - 02:15 PM

I have a one-month old Sharp 32" (32F631) TV and used Avia to calibrate. I am noticing something a bit strange. When watching a DVD movie that had a night-shot of a star-filled sky... the stars looked more like red and green, slightly blinking dots, or sometime having a "white hot" appearance. I also noticed this pretty much on some shots where a white object was surrounded by black. I'm viewing with "vertical compression" on and using component video (Monster mid-range cable). It doesn't seem to happen when vert. conp. is turned off, but I am not 100% sure about it. Any thoughts? Is this something that I should expect with a relatively inexpensive ($550) tube? My $100 DVD Payer (Tosh. SD-3900)? Rus

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 04:23 AM

The phenomenon may very well be the result of the cinematography in the film itself, an "effect." If it's one of those rare "space movies" that actually attempts to get it right, then bear in mind that stars shine at all colors in the visible spectrum (from red to blue-white).

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 11:29 PM

I don't think it is normal display... it's noticeable on many DVD material. Seems that certain tiny "white" colors have a "hot" appearance to them at times... kind of an over-exposed appearance on areas in the film that have hightlights. It is difficult to explain. I'll try to post in picture of what I'm referring to. Thanks for your response. Rus

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,366 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted August 06 2003 - 12:09 AM

Your contrast is probably set too high??? (and I say that almost catagorically ) :-)

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 02:31 AM

On my TV, here are available parameters... settings are in parenthesis. PICTURE (25... 1/2 of Max.) SHARP (0... minimum setting) BRIGHTNESS (22... 1/2 of Max.) COLOR (17... tad less than 1/2 of Max.) TINT (MIDDLE = 0) TEMP (LOW) I'm guessing that "contrast" would be the same as "sharp"? Rus

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,163 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted August 06 2003 - 03:25 AM

Actually, I'm pretty sure that "picture" = "contrast". You'll want to reduce it even further - perhaps down to 25% or less. Reducing it to this low a level may take some getting used to - but give it some time and your eyes will adjust (plus you'll be doing a great service to your set, prolonging its life). -Jason

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 04:19 AM

Thank you Jason, I will give it a try. However, using Avia yielded best results at this setting. I'm wondering how one setting affects others. For example, decreasing "picture", and increasing "brightness"... etc. Rus

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 05:37 AM

Those settings are interactive, in the sense that adjusting the contrast means you might have to tailor the "brightness" accordingly.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 16 2003 - 10:14 AM

I have spent some more time adjusting the "picture" settings, and still... the issues remain. I see it during DVD as well as TV material. If I can explain some more, this is what I see. Seems when there are two contrasting colors, the outline seems "jagged", kind of flickering. This varies depending on the material being viewed. Someone posted that a particular model of "Sharp" TV was too sharp, even at the lowest setting. I regret to think that this is the case with my TV. Is it possible to have a professional individual make adjustments? Will this be a very expensive "tweak"? Anyone in the NYC tri-state area that comes recommended? I know... what can I expect for a TV set under $600, but I really thought I was getting something "ok" for my money. Too late to take it back. Thanks for input on this friends. Rus

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 01:54 PM

Is it possible to have a professional individual make adjustments? Will this be a very expensive "tweak"? Anyone in the NYC tri-state area that comes recommended? RUs

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 12:53 AM

Anyone?

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob Maged

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 01:03 AM

Professional calibration would cost at least a few hundred dollars -- not really worth it for a $550 TV. Have you tried getting warranty service? From your description of the problem it sounds like it may be a convergence problem. (I always considered myself to be technologically aware but only discovered a few months ago that direct view CRT displays have separate red, blue, and green "guns" that can become mis-converged.) Try calling Sharp for a service appointment.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted August 21 2003 - 03:15 AM

Could also be Velocity Scan Modulation. If you have a setting labeled as such, or as VSM or SVM... turn it off. This setting is for edge enhancement, and is generally not desired. -Scott

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 22 2003 - 12:31 AM

Thank you all... I guess I am stuck with this until I can upgrade to a real screen.

Posted Image

Rus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users