What's new

Whose Your Favorite Developer? (1 Viewer)

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Square? Visual Concepts? Bioware? Bungie? Rareware? Tiburian? Neversoft? DICE? Valve? For me, right now, it has to be Tecmo. I have faith that Tecmo will continually bring forth polished games that stand out from the crowd for one reason or another.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
It's hard for me to pick one since I get mad at almost all of them at one point or another. Really the only one I can think of offhand that is without sin is Koei.

Koei makes great games and shows tremendous support for the US gaming community. Not many companies port games over to the US knowing that they don't have the prospect of selling well, but Koei does just that. There aren't really many companies that exist FOR the gamers anymore, even Nintendo was disgraced in a price fixing scandal. I'm really thankful that Koei keeps its small but rabid community satisfied by bringing games like Gitaroo Man and Romance of the Three Kingdoms to the US despite crappy sales. In addition, Koei actually knows what it means to make a SEQUEL, and the gameplay in ROTTK gets huge changes every time a new game is made.

My only complaint is that Dynasty Warriors 4 wasn't what it should have been, but that's pretty minor compared to my beefs with just about every other major developer. Never thought I'd see the day I'd sing Koei's praises over Square and Sega, but oh how the mighty have fallen.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Rockstar. As long as they keep pumping out GTA quality titles I'm their #1 fan. Second would probably be DICE for BF1942 as it's the best online game I've played.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Harmonix has made 2 of my favorite games ever: Frequency and Amplitude. They're moving on to do Karaoke Revolution, which disappoints me, but they really have raw talent for creating simple, yet addictive, games.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Konami sticks out for me as being the most consistent this generation. Close behind them are Nintendo followed by Visual Concepts.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Square in a HUGE way (especially a couple of years back), Nintendo, Visual Concepts, Capcom (which suprised me when I realized it), and Sega (assuming they'd count, since they're pretty broad with lots of smaller groups).

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well I have to say Square, of course thats mainly for the final fantasy games, i have loved all that ive played, tho i have not played 8 or nine yet, i will eventually though.

and I ahve to agree big time with jamesH but this is where it is odd, I love Koei, they make awesome games, but their big problem is they dont bring their games over to the US. James ahve you ever played uncharted waters, man that game ruled, but number 3 and 4 in the series ahve yet to be translated to english, they were translated to portugases i believe but not english, i want my uncharted waters. and sure romance of the three kingdoms is awesome, but we are just getting number 8 in 10 days now ( i have my copy pre-paid at EB) but number 9 has been out in japan for over a year now, need same dayreleases in both languages :)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Used to be Rare.. Overall, I love Midway, for MK and the way they captivate the arcade feel for consoles.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Any news of a Diablo III?
None and with Roper and company leaving Blizzard North is could be awhile before we actually do (though I believe they already have a new staff in place).

As for favorite developer. Smilebit for me (though I'd throw Sega in there period). Bioware would also be tops on my list.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Whoever is responsible for Resident Evil (I know Capcom, but not sure if its a specific group within them, other than Shinji Mikami) is up there, as are the developers behind Silent Hill. But, I'd have to say if there is one developer whose output I could not live without it would be Square. Aside from a few one-off turkeys (like Driving Emotion Type-S) and one horrifically bad series (SaGa...at least stateside), I love all of their games, but especially Final Fantasy and Chrono. By the way, I want Chrono III!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Bioware, before they hit anyone's top 10 should ship a game without so many insane bugs. I NEVER hit the bugs other people do, but I've hit at least 20 in KOTOR, including one they should have caught on the first pass last night.

As I was lowered into the Shadowlands, I was pressing buttons hoping in vain to bypass the cutscenes. It made a booping sound and all video was gone, though I could still play because I could hear cursor movement and such

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Well, shame you don't speak for the entire world then Jeff. Bioware is one of the best developers going in terms of quality and I'd stack their record up against Blizzard any day of the week. Easily my favorite creative team right now for PC games.

Looking Glass was an excellent developer in their day, ditto Sierra and LucasArts when both were primarily adventure game companies. There was a great stretch when both Sierra and LucasArts pumped out quality title after quality title, then both descended into mediocre pablum that was far afield from what made their companies awesome.

Nintendo has an excellent track record with me, and Capcom's Res Evil teams are equally solid. Silicon Knights definitely has potential to be in a similar position since I have become increasingly impressed with their company philosophy and hope that will translate into consistently superior productions.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Blizzard has never shipped a game with such a huge number of bugs.
First impression: BWAH?????

1 - I seem to remember Diablo II having all sorts of problems when it first launched. Now that was a few years ago so I might be mistaken; either that or maybe it wasn't so much bugs as it was tweaks.

2 - A huge number of bugs? You mentioned only one.
EDIT - OK, only one in detail. You did mention something about 20 bugs.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
One word, NEVERSOFT! I own every single THPS game, and they are all great! :D

I also like DMA/Rockstar North and Z-Axis alot. I can't say that I like Square too much. Final Fantasy is not really my type of game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks