What's new

51/57" projection tv help? (1 Viewer)

GurchR

Auditioning
hiya
I was hoping to buy a HD projection set this long weekend.
I know this really vague but which set would you say is the best bang for the buck?
Sony KP51WS510 $2699
KP57WS510 $3399
KP57WV600 $3799
KP57WV700 $3599
Toshiba 51HX83 $2799
57HX83 $3199
51H83 $2450
Hitachi 51SWX20B $3388
57TWX20B $3888
The prices I listed are canadian. The room I'm keeping it in is well-lit and is 12x18 in size. All I'm really looking for in a big screen is good picture quality I guess. Heck, I'm not even decided on which size I want :D The sales guy told me to stick with hitachi but I wanted to hear other opinions. I have a progressive scan dvd player I'll be using it with as well as a cheap 5.1 set i have. I was planning to get a cheapie terk hd antenna but some of you said they dont work well? I dont really plan to get it ISF calibrated in the near future so I'm looking for good picture quality out-of-the-box(w/o noticeable red push) or with minor tweaking I could do myself. Also, alot of you seem to favour panny/samsung sets, what makes these sets stand out from the competition?

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
well to be honest the hitachi is a good set but the one that i would get would be the s500 series :emoji_thumbsup: but with the one's listed i think the 57HX83 is a good buy :emoji_thumbsup: where did you get these $ from fs or another place

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
I second the 57hx83. I was set to pick up the Toshiba 57HDX82 earlier this spring, but decided to wait to see the 2003 line. They look great from what I can see. And Toshiba has the best stetch modes available on the sets mentioned. I spent countless hours doing side by side stretch comparisons at different Brick and Morters. And for the price, you can't go wrong.

And if the prices are from where I think they are, the 57hx83 is 2879.99 on sale this long weekend.

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
which store are you talking about for the 57 hx because if it is that price and so far they have had no problems i will get one right now :emoji_thumbsup:

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
i just checked the tv is a h83 not a hx 83 i think you got them mixed up :frowning:

GurchR

Auditioning
hi guys
well the store is a small, local store named South Van Electronics. Are you sure about the HX? because the lady at South Van doesnt even SELL the hitachi line and she told me to go with the hitachi for big screens....
BTW I don't know about the rest of you but I thought the price on the s700 was fairly reasonable its 3599 this weekend at fs. However, I didnt really think the picture quality was all that great.
I also thought the price on the s510 was good as well.
Anyways, if you think the 57hx82 is good I guess I'll pick one up on monday...Are you sure there are no better deals out there? other TV's that are better for around the same price?
I'd hate to have a case of buyers remorse after I picked out a TV. :)

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
OK i will give you my thoughts on the picks

Hitachi s500 better internals and has the improved stretch mode and it compares to the tosh

tosh hx 83 is the top of the line tosh sets and has better crt's if all the problems from the hdx models where solved by changing the 5 element lenses to a 4 element lenses ( i hope that was the case )

Sony 510 -well i had the 500 series and the pick was great and the tv looked good but they had the flicker issues so i could not take the chance on getting the problem .but from the lack of complaints i think Sony has fixed the problem on the 510's ( i hope) ?

so what ever looks good to you go with it and enjoy your new set
;)

GurchR

Auditioning
I've been reading a lot about the Hitachi s500 and was hoping to look into it a bit more...
Anyone know where I can buy one in BC? or canada even?
how much does the 57s500 typically go for?
Thanks for all of your help so far guys!

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
GurchR from my contacts i have heard the 2nd week of august ;) but if you have a brick near you they say on there web sight they have them in stock or you could call future shop and ask if or when they will be putting them out for display ;)

oh and buy the way that is the exact same tv that i am going to pick up :D

update they are now available in canada

GurchR

Auditioning
well I checked the brick website and yes, they indeed have it, but darnit man! its 3999.97 and thats quite a bit more than what I want to pay
and besides isnt the toshiba 57hx83 a better set anyways? and its quite a bit cheaper too...
I really wanted the hitachi set but darn thats out of my price range....

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
well the tosh hx83 is a good set but is it better then the hitachi (well i don't know about that) but the tosh hx83 is the other set that i am considering :emoji_thumbsup:

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
your best bet go with nbt electronics johnny is a good guy and what is good about him is that he will calbirate your set right when you buy it :emoji_thumbsup:

GurchR

Auditioning
hey guys
thanks for all the help so far
well I just came back from tv browsing and, after I check out sears/london drugs/and A & B sound tomorrow. I will most likely go with the 57hx83 and pricematch with FS at visions...
FS has the tv for 3419.99 here in vancouver and they are offering an in-store promo of an additional 10% which makes it a better deal than pricematching with South Van Electronics(110% of difference). I went down to visions and they told me they will give me an extra 5% on top of whatever FS has it for. So, for me thats about 3419.99 after tax which is a reasonable price in my eyes. So Joey Mr, it seems like you can get in on this great deal as well. I will try getting the visions guy to throw in something extra as well (free sat receiver maybe; since they have a free sat promo anyways)I will tell you my results at the end of tomorrow but it seems as if I will get the 57hx83 for sure now.
I saw the Hitachi s500 line and it looks awesome....I also saw the f500..just out of curiousity, whats the diff?

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
the s500 is a higher model and has the new stretch mode and other goodies and that sounds like a great price on the hx model if you can make him write down the offer and send to me so i can use it as amunition for my purchase if i go the way of tosh and the hit.s500 looked good (well considering they have them on torch mode and what are they asking for the s500 at fs 57'

great job GurchR

GurchR

Auditioning
the s500 is the same as what the brick has it for, 4999.97
Im pretty sure the its a typo right now for the fs price of 3419.
But even if it is, FS and Visions pricematches across canada so u can get them to call my local South Van Electronics for it....just make sure u *67 the call and ask the fs guy not to say he's from fs becuase small local shops hate it when u price match them. I can look up the phone number for you if you want it.
If i pick up the tv tomorrow from vision with the additional 5% off the 10% that fs has it for, I can go as far as sending you a photocopy of the receipt. That way you can take it into visions or fs and maybe haggle for an even better price :D

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
yes that would be great here is my email as soon as you get it let me know so i can take it off the site cheers

[i sent you a email so let me know if you got it

GurchR

Auditioning
alright now right before I go out and buy a set tomorrow
I want to ask some last minute questions
Is there a major diff between
Hitachi 57swx20b vs 57s500 vs 57f500
Toshiba 57HX83 vs 57H83 vs 57HDX82
in terms of picture quality
I know that I'm getting a decent deal on the tosh 57hx83, but I've been hearing lots of problems with the tosh 57h83 and thought that they might affect the entire line of tosh tv's. I've read on other forums but not too many ppl own the hx83 so I want to hear your opinions on other options.
Asides from that, if there isnt a major diff in the f500 or swx20b than that of the s500 I thought I might just pick one of those up since they're quite a bit cheaper. I also read that hitachi has one of the lowest rptv repair rates and complaints for problematic sets. I know the best way probably is to check out the picture quality myself but most stores usually run off a HD feed and I wont have anything better than an SD feed for quite a while.
I know im becoming quite the pest asking so many questions, but I figure its better i make a firm decision on a set rather than an iffy one.
Thanks again.

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
Hitachi 57swx20b vs 57s500 vs 57f500
the swx

Day and Night Memory By Input: Hitachi's new UltraVision series remembers picture settings by input. Users can adjust and save contrast, brightness, color, tint, sharpness, color temperature, black level enhancement, edge enhancement, color management, color decoding, auto-color, noise reduction and automatic 3:2 film correction settings by input. Additionally, each input allows separate day and night settings, letting users individually adjust and save picture settings for bright daylight or darkened room conditions. A convenient Day/Night button has been added to the remote for easy toggling between the two settings.
-- Improved 4:3 Expansion Mode: Bettering conventional designs, Hitachi's 4:3 expanded mode found in UltraVision models applies a more subtle linear expansion to the picture beginning at the center and gently expanding the image as it reaches the edges. The result is more gentle and pleasing to the eye.

the f does not have the new stretch mode.

Toshiba 57HX83 vs 57H83 vs 57HDX82

the differences is the hx has beter crt's and has all new internals :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks