Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: The Hunted

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 01:00 AM

Posted Image

The Hunted

Studio: Paramount

Year: 2003

Rated: R

Length: 94 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

Subtitles: English

Release Date: August 12, 2003

Mix one part Apocalypse Now , three parts First Blood, and two parts Shoot to Kill, stir in “by the numbers” performances by Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro, and you get The Hunted - a watchable, if not overly engaging chase film. In terms of plot, this film covers no new ground. We’ve seen it all before. Some scenes clearly evoke memories of the above-mentioned films... so clearly, at times, you want to shout out a scene you recall as if you were a contestant on a game show... sort of an interactive Jeopardy. “I’ll take First Blood for two hundred please, Alex.”

The single biggest problem with this film is the lack of a script...
...but it’s not all bad. William Friedkin, whose roots are in documentary filmmaking, can deliver impressively with little script to work from.

L.T. Bonham (Tommy Lee Jones) is a retired “Special Ops” trainer... a man who is empowered to teach men to kill, but who has never himself killed - or had to face the consequences of his teachings... "The difficult part is learning how to turn it off."
Aaron Hallam is a man over the edge. Formerly trained by Bonham, and decorated for his skill in the field, he has gone rogue... killing according to his own twisted code.

Bonham’s former handlers get him to agree to go after the man he trained... to kill his “son,” as it were. Parallels to the story of Abraham and Isaac are rather forced by the opening narration with Johnny Cash reading lyrics from Bob Dylan’s Highway 61:

God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”...
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61.”

The film doesn’t pretend to delve deeply into character or plot. It is purely about the chase. We’re given the obligatory prologue which explains Hallam’s state of mind. Later on, we’re given brief flashbacks of Bonham, as he trains special ops in the art of killing. Aside from that, the film goes on with minimal dialog or distraction as the chase winds its way to a rather implausible climax where, near a major U.S. city with dozens of government agents in pursuit - both protagonist and antagonist find the time to literally forge new weapons to use against one another.

The film does have its good points, though.

The fight scenes are simple and gritty. They are close up and personal. No CGI or wires here... a refreshing sight compared to many recent films. The fight choreography doesn’t disappoint, and it’s not structured so closely that you can read the actors’ lips as they count out the beats... “One, two PUNCH... three, four BLOCK...”

Caleb Deschanel’s cinematography is breathtaking. Much of the film takes place in the lush forests of Oregon - the images crisp and full of texture. Deschanel makes use of shifting color palettes. In Bonham and Hallam's lonely world, everything is literally and visually cold. As they are forced to interact with the civilized world, we see them through a warmer lens.

The Hunted is a film pared the core. There is nothing superfluous... no subplots, no relationships to get in the way. It’s as if the hunt is happening, and the camera is along for the chase. While this works to an extent, there is a void of emotion and motivation. We watch events unfold as if we’re witnessing them firsthand, without the benefit of a scriptwriter or narrator to fill in the details.

The Video
Some will be thrown by the shifting color palettes, however, the cold imagery so predominant in the film is not a fault of the transfer. The picture is crisp and sharp, bringing out every detail of the beautiful photography. Everything else aside, this is a gorgeous film to watch. The anamorphic transfer is 1.78:1.

The Audio
The Hunted is presented in Dolby Digital 5.1. This is an extremely active mix. Surround effects are present throughout. The opening Kosovo sequence may become a demo scene for some, with lots of gunfire and explosions filling the soundfield. One scene in the film has the antagonist’s voice coming from behind as he taunts his prey. The low frequency effects are also very active throughout. The dialog is slightly over-sweetened - everyone in this film seems a natural baritone. Ambient noise is a bit strong. Overall, it’s a good mix that gets an “A” for utilization of surrounds and LFE, and a “B” for clarity and fidelity.

The Extras

Commentary Track
The Hunted contains a commentary track by William Friedkin. I’ve always enjoyed listening to Friedkin talk about his craft, and the sections of commentary I sampled for this review didn’t disappoint. Friedkin is always animated when discussing his work, and he speaks in nontechnical terms. He speaks often of inspiration, and of improvisational filmmaking. He doesn’t storyboard his films, and improvises entire scenes on location - perhaps a result of his documentarian philosophies. If you want to hear about the technical side of filmmaking, you won’t find it here. That’s not what Friedkin is about.

Deleted Scenes
There are six brief deleted scenes, with a “Play All” feature. None of the scenes add anything of interest to the film.

Documentaries

Pursuing The Hunted, approximately 8 minutes
Friedkin speaks of his inspiration for the film.
Jones and Del Toro talk about getting into their respective roles.

Filming The Hunted, approximately 9 minutes
Friedkin talks about improvisation and about how he wanted a “documentary feel.” Spotlight on Caleb Deschanel’s cinematography.
Planning and execution of the Kosovo sequence.

Tracking The Hunted, approximately 4 minutes
Spotlight on technical advisor, Tom Brown

The Cutting Edge, approximately 8 minutes
Improvising whole scenes
Choreographing fight scenes

Theatrical trailer
Previews: Timeline, The Core, Indiana Jones

The extras are not anamorphically enhanced.

If you’re a fan of the genre, The Hunted is worth checking out. Once you’ve whetted your appetite, go find yourself a copy of Wolfgang Peterson’s superior In the Line of Fire.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 01:07 AM

I was actually very surprised by this film last March, I've got so many titles to get though so this might go on the backburner for a little bit. All aside, thanks for the early review!
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Jason Kleeberg

Jason Kleeberg

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 06:35 AM

My friend and I laughed through this whole movie it was so bad. Here's a description of the chase scenes...

Benicio runs, gets away.
Tommy sniffs a leaf, picks up a stick, finds him.
Repeat.

Horrible, laughable movie.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Beau

Beau

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 11:32 AM

I thought that it was a good "chase" movie, but was dissapointed with the thin plot, I just thought there was gonna be more to it than that. I really only saw it because it was filmed in and around Portland, where I live. It's fun seeing my home city and it's sites I've been to in a major movie.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 03:15 PM

"Benicio runs, gets away.
Tommy sniffs a leaf, picks up a stick, finds him.
Repeat."

LOL it's so true. Thanks for the review Scott.

Dean
"Earnest Hemingway once wrote 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the 2nd part." - Morgan Freeman, Se7en

My DVD Collection

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted August 02 2003 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the review, I think I will try it out..

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted August 02 2003 - 09:42 PM

Loved the flick...loved the fight scenes which were extremely realistic...cant wait!

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo

Second Unit

• 434 posts

Posted August 04 2003 - 04:02 AM

The fight scenes were realistic until the broken bones and multiple stab wounds don't do anything to slow Tommy Lee down.. I know hes a good chaser, but robocop? Damn near unstoppable.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 10:25 AM

I was really surprised by this movie. Very efficient action pic.
My art imitates crime.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 04:05 PM

Quote:
One scene in the film has the antagonist’s voice coming from behind as he taunts his prey.

Can someone list where this is for me? I don't recall it and I'd love to hear this on my system.

Mike
Playstation Network:
CarpeD1em500