-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Replacing my vehicle's stereo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 01:31 PM

The CD player in my '98 Ranger has gotten static-y and I'm convinced I need to replace it.

Back in the day, replacing the stereo was a simple matter - I must have done a half-dozen of them as a kid.

Looking at the panel on my Ranger, though, I'm wondering if I can do this myself without damaging anything.

Is everything front-accessible now? I see four very small holes in the radio panel; I'm wondering if these allow the installer to remove the panel and gain access to the unit. How is this accomplished?

I don't want to start prying at panels with a screwdriver; I'm sure there is a way to approach this?

Thanks!

Jon

#2 of 2 Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,075 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 03:54 PM

The holes that your are referring to are on the face of the radio and are part of the radio. You do not have to remove a panel. You actually will remove the radio with those holes.

Most ford radios have two "tune fork" shaped tools that fit into the 4 holes that you are referring to. Each tool goes in vertically and unlocks the clamps that hold the radio in. At that point you can simply slide the radio out. (If you are friendly with a local car audio shop or the audio install shops at a electronics store they will usually let you borrow the tools for a quick second to pull the radio out.)

Then, find the proper 'ford/visteon' harnesses to fit your single din aftermarket radio, slide in the antenna, put the radio in the slot and you should be good to go.

djb
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.