-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: Soylent Green (Highly Recommended)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 07:55 AM

Posted Image

Soylent Green

Studio: Warner Brothers
Year: 1973
Rated: PG
Film Length: 97 Mins
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic Widescreen)
Audio: DD Mono
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish

The Feature:
The year is 2022. New York has grown to 40 million people and all luxuries are basically non existent. Food has become a luxury. Civilization has changed. Even trees are all but extinct, so there is no paper for books. Food is provided by way of a cracker type substance called “Soylent”. There is Soylent Yellow, Soylent Red and the new “high energy miracle plankton called Soylent Green, collected from oceans around the world”. Apartments are even a luxury but they come with their own “furniture”…. In the way of young good looking girls who are afforded luxury and privilege for keeping their landlords happy. Detective Thorn (Charlton Heston) has been assigned a homicide case where a wealthy Soylent board member (Simonson played by Joseph Cotton) turns up dead. Robbery is quickly ruled out as the motive since nothing from the luxurious apartment has been taken. He is aided by his close friend and roommate Sol Roth (Edward G. Robinson) who is a retired professor. During the investigation, Thorn locates a bottle of bourbon, becomes romantically involved with “the furniture” and unravels a conspiracy that eventually explains the murder of Simonson.

Not that it should come as a surprise to any of us, but in my opinion Edward G. Robinson’s performance (which by the way, was his final film), was superb. He was never lost for a quick retort or quip.

The movie hosts a bevy of stars including Charlton Heston, Edward G. Robinson, Chuck Connors, Whit Bissel and Brock Peters (Tom Robinson of “To Kill A Mockingbird” fame).

Video:
While the film definitely had a look of “70’s” to it, I was quite impressed by this transfer. Colors were extremely vibrant. There are many facial close-ups and skin tone is excellent. The image was extremely sharp and I could detect no evidence of any dirt or film noise. Film grain was slight – almost non existent. I did notice the occasional shot which was softer than most of the film but I have to assume that was the intent. Overall, I found the transfer to be most pleasing.

Audio:
The disc is presented in a DD Mono soundtrack which is very solid. No sign of any hiss or popping (I could detect a slight hiss during the end credits). Dialogue was exceptionally clear. The audio comes through crystal clear and is well demonstrated during a few scenes when we hear a crowbar type tool slamming against a concrete wall, tables getting knocked over, and shell casings hitting the ground. Without giving too much away, there is a scene when Sol “goes home” and there are a number of classical pieces during the scene which are very impressive. For a DD Mono track, that speaks volumes.

Special Features:
There are a few special features which include:

-Commentary by Director Richard Fleisher
-Commentary by Leigh Taylor-Young (“Shirl”)
-A Look At The World Of Soylent Green
-MGM’s Tribute To Edward G. Robinson’s 101st film
-Charlton Heston Sci-Fi Legend
-Theatrical Trailer
-Cast & Crew

The tribute was a short film clip shot at a party to celebrate the actor’s 101st film. The Heston Legend clip simply shows a listing of many of the movies the actor starred in.

Final Thoughts:
I had never seen this film prior to today and I have to be honest, I was skeptical initially. It looked like a cheesy 70’s low budget Sci-Fi flick which generally, isn’t my cup of tea. After a few minutes into it, I found myself engrossed beyond my expectations. Is it dated? Sure. What movie made 30 years ago trying to project the future by 50 years, wouldn’t be! While I am not a huge fan of movies of this genre, I suspect fans of the film and those with a new interest in this genre will be extremely pleased with Warner’s offering. Highly Recommended.

Release Date: August 5th, 2003
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 08:16 AM

Nice. I want.

BTW- Soylent Green tastes like chicken. Like CHICKEN!!!!

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 09:51 AM

ill definetly be picking this one up along with THE THING and THE OMEGA MAN

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 10:15 AM

Quote:
Soylent Green tastses like chicken. Like CHICKEN!!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 10:18 AM

This one is on my list!

Soylent Green is...

PEOPLE!!!

Glad to finally get such a nice 16x9 OAR transfer of this classic film. It made quite an impression on my when I saw it as a kid.

-dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 10:41 AM

Herb, on the “To Kill A Mockingbird” reference you reversed the name. Should be, Brock Peters.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 11:10 AM

Garrett.... thank you. I've made the change.

Herb.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,360 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 31 2003 - 11:17 AM

A 70's SF classic, and with a few decent extras, surprise surprise!
It's definitely on my menu.Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,169 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 31 2003 - 03:22 PM

i've heard the story that it was edward g's last film and he died shortly after, but he knew he was very ill and going to die but no one else knew during filming. it seems to make his "scene" all the more touching for me when i watch it with this knowledge.

i wonder if thhis story is actually true.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,112 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 06:50 PM

The transfer has to be better than the MGM LD, which was horrible. And I hope the chapter stops don't give away the film's final twist like the LD chapter markings did!

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 09:37 PM

Great stuff, Herb! Posted Image

I've been waiting a long time for this one. I'm so glad the transfer is spot-on. The use of Classical music is superb. The commentary sounds like a lot of fun, too.

Gordy

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 01:03 AM

The Omega Man and Soylent Green arrived last night-excellent discs. I didn't even know there were any extras included on either.
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 01:23 AM

Soylent Green 2

It's Still People!! - AHHHHH!!

I just saw that skit on an old Saturday night live the other day and was dying.

I'll definitely be picking this up.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Kenneth English

Kenneth English

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 02:32 AM

A great, great early 70s sci-fi movie. Saw this on AMC way back in the late 80s and have loved it ever since. Nice to finally have a decent transfer. Posted Image

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 03:41 AM

Oh man, this movie still gets me today the way it did when I saw it as a kid! Another movie where ole Chuck has a great final scene!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted August 01 2003 - 06:43 AM

Eric,

It was different colors... Soleynt White, etc... SOYLENT WHITE IS
PEOPLE, it's PEOPLE...
We miss you, Phil...

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 08:20 AM

Good review, but can you talk more about the extras? I can read a list on a press release.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 01 2003 - 08:29 AM

Justin,

The very last part of the skit was "Soylent Green 2".

I only caught the tail end of it, but it was pretty damn funny.

Posted Image Posted Image

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted August 04 2003 - 04:31 PM

Just a small request on future reviews could you tell a little more about the extra's.

Just listing them doesn't really explain what is in them and if they are good or bad.

Thanks

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,112 posts

Posted August 04 2003 - 08:10 PM

Got this one early. Transfer is great. What I heard of Fleischer's commentary is really interesting-- there's a lot of technique he discusses. It's not as engaging as the "20,000 Leagues..." commentary track, but it's still darn good.

I saw this at the Egyptian as part of a Fleischer tribute about 4 years ago (they even showed "Mandingo"!) and he spoke with Heston, Leigh Taylor-Young and even Dick Van Patten! With Heston's non-involvement with this and "The Omega Man" for obvious health reasons, it's a drag they didn't use audio/video from that night (and when they showed "Omega" as part of a Heston tribute) or at least include a transcript.

And yes, the chapter listings just about blow the films ultimate secret...