Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Receivers & 4 omh loads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Joseph_Jackson

Joseph_Jackson

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 05:05 AM

Hello Guys & Gals, I'm looking to purchase some boston acoustics in-wall speakers. The speakers that I'm going to purchase are the VRi593, VRi553, and VRi580. The problem I'm having is that the VRI593,VRI553 are 4ohm speakers and the VRI580's are 8 ohms. I'm looking at getting a H/K AVR325. Is it possible without damage to the receiver to run these speakers w/ this receiver?

Thanks Again

Joseph Jackson

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 05:31 AM

You should be ok with the Hk...I wouldn't try it with a lesser reciever and you will have to watch out for excessive heat from the receiver but I think you'll be ok

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   CodyL

CodyL

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 05:41 AM

I called and wrote to HK about 4ohm speakers recently and was told that HK receivers and amps are "only rated for 8 ohm speakers". I am left to wonder why, but the customer service guy couldn't/wouldn't answer that question or tell me that it was OK to run 4ohm speakers. In short, I don't think we can get an official OK that HK will handle 4 ohm loads (as opposed to Denon, which gives an OK on their website FAQ), and instead have to rely on advice of others that have tried it. From all posts I have read, HK should be fine at 4 ohm loads for most use, but I guess we are left to our own and may suffer accordingly.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 31 2003 - 08:12 AM

You will not damage the receiver, it is your speakers that you risk damaging, as 4ohm speakers will work the amp harder. 1 of 2 things is likely to happen: the receiver will shut down, or you will fry tweeters/x-overs when you run out of current.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 08:32 AM

I was recently looking at the HK AVR 525 & I have 5 6 ohm speakers. I sent HK an email & they said I'd "probably" be OK powering 5 6 ohm speakers (but they wouldn't say definitely) with this particular reciever but definitely not 7 6 ohm speakers. I would not risk running multiple 4 ohm speakers on the HK if they don't want to tell you it's OK.

I ended up getting an NAD receiver which will power 6 4 ohm speakers simultaneously without a problem. Maybe the HK would have been OK but I wasn't going to gamble on it.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   MikeNagy

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted August 03 2003 - 07:37 AM

Go for NAD. They rate their amps to be able to power 2 ohm loads.