Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PS2 black level very low...

PlayStation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted July 30 2003 - 06:28 PM

I've noticed that the PS2's black level (for both DVDs and games) is very low. I have to turn up the brightness on my TV quite a bit in order to have the black level up to calibrated status (and actually see what's going on in my games). I've done a search on 'PS2 black level' in Google groups but only found references to Sony TVs losing signal when viewing dark sequences using the S-Video connection. (I have not experienced this problem with my Sony KP-43HT20)

Is there any way to adjust the black level via a PS2 service menu or something? If not, then I'll have to switch to a different (brighter) picture mode on my TV. However, with exception to the Pro mode, the other 3 modes (Vivid, Standard, Movie) all have "enhancements" activated that give the picture a different look, even if the standard adjustments are identical between all 4 modes. I know that this will require some adjustments in the TV's service mode (ie. Scan Velocity Modulation, etc) and I'll have to go through my notes in order to find out how to deactivate them all.

Any insights would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Ryan