What's new

Basement HT Questions (1 Viewer)

DarrinG

Grip
When building a HT in a basement is it OK to overlay carpet on the cement floor or will it cause you to lose bass due to the concrete absorbing it or should a sub floor be put in.

Also risers how high should a riser be?

Wayne_D

Agent
from what i under stand, if you want to feel your bass vibrate your seats more, then you should build a sub floor. plywood over 2x4's should be good...as for riser...depends on how large your screen is, and how high your back seats need to be so you dont have a head in the way!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Carpeted concrete is better for your acoustics than a bare concrete floor but as mentioned, a wood sub floor will do wonders for your bass in the room.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I used to live in an upstairs condo and my sub sounded great. It felt like I was in the rocket when I watched the From the Earth to the Moon series on DVD. I then moved to a home with concrete floors. While I can still hear the bass, the feeling is gone. Carpets, wood floors, etc. have done nothing to alter that.

From what I have learned, the only way to get the bass feeling back is to build a sub-floor (or super-floor).

TimForman

Supporting Actor
When dealing with low frequencies many have the misconception that concrete walls and floors are somehow better. This is completely incorrect. While your neighbors may appreciate the sound not coming through the walls reflection of LF sounds terrible. For good LF you want the boundaries to move. This means wood framed walls, floors and ceilings. Some build double offset walls to provide even more movement. If this is not practical for you then at least get good thick foam pad and carpet on your floor. Something I noticed the other day since I have a concrete floor with pad and carpet, I could still feel the vibration from my Tempest. LF is an amazing creature.

DarrinH

Second Unit
Hey DarrinG this is DarrinH;).
My HT is in my basement.
The walls were built about an inch from the block, drywalled and then treated with carpet for zero reflection.
My floor has padding with carpet and my ceiling consists of drop tile.
http://home.hpphoto.com/servlet/Link...43fd2f&size=lg
http://home.hpphoto.com/servlet/Link...6c1614&size=lg

I have a SVS 39" tall sub and I can tell you the floor does not transmit any bass.
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_20-39.htm
The ceiling really moves and the walls move enough.
From experience, if you want the whole room to shake you are going to have to build that subfloor. I am happy with mine the way it is and I plan on adding bass shakers for the tactile transmission of bass later.
Hope this helps.

I also have my Entertainment center in the basement w/ padding and carpeting over concrete and acustical tiles in the ceiling. I have also installed insullation in the ceiling and walls. I have a klipsch 12" sub and I can feel my sectional Vibrate. The best movie I have watched is "We were soldiers" during the "Broken Arrow" sceen. It felt awesome!
Jeff

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Hey Jeff I just checked out your HT that is one sweet entertainment center. Looks like lots of hard work but it paid off. Nice HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks