What's new

Video connection options (1 Viewer)

Brooks

Grip
1) I'm a total Newbie
2) thank you very much to the wise folks who volunteer their time to help us new folks
3) I've read the FAQ/Primer and either this answer isn't there or I'm too dense to find it.

Suppose you have some video sources (like an Xbox) that can send the video signal over S-Video but not component. Suppose you have others that can send component (like a DVD player). Suppose the display device is of sufficient quality / resolution that it's worth sending it component video when possible.

If I'm passing all video through the receiver for central switching, etc. am I understanding correctly that unless the receiver's documentation specifically indicates that it will "convert" from one input (S-Video) to the preferred output (component) then it will be nececssary to run cable for both S-Video and component to the display device and switch the display device to the proper input when switching source devices?

In other words, I can't connect an S-Video source to the receiver and expect video data to come out of the receiver's component outputs unless it says it will "convert" - yes?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You are correct. If the receiver does not convert a video signal to another type of signal, whether it be composite, s-video or component, then you must connect all your sources to the receiver using the correct type of cable, then connect the various video cables coming out of the receiver to the TV. So if you have mutiple sources using all 3 types then connect all 3 types between the TV and the receiver.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Unless your receiver 'converts', here is the rule:

- Any SVideo input to the receiver will only be seen on the SVideo output of the receiver.

- Any component input to the receiver will only be seen on the component output of the receiver.

So if you hook up both, you just have to toggle the TV between the SVideo and Component feed as you switch the receiver between components.

I usually recommend a hybred approach:

- Run SVideo from EVERYTHING to the receiver, then to the TV
- Run component cables straight to the TV if the device offers it.

Leave the TV set to see the SVideo signal. Now the family can control things by just using the receiver remote to switch both audio and video.

But for YOUR viewing, take the extra step to change the TV to see the component input feed.

Home Theater Magazine compared the 3 main video connections to each other and came up with these numbers:

- Composite: baseline
- SVideo: 20% better than composite
- Component: 25% better than composite

So for ordinary, interlace video; component is only a 5% improvement.

HD/Progressive - you have to use component.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've got a lot of video sources hooked up - videogames - keep in mind, as well - if you have a composite (RCA) source, most receivers will not convert this over to S-video. With all my sources, this became important. Example: 8-bit Nintendo in composite, X-box in S-video, and DVD player in component. In this instance, you would need component, composite, and S-video all plugged into the TV - you would also have the TV on the correct one of the inputs (unless it auto-senses which input to use). This quickly becomes complicated to remember (or teach others) which receiver input and which TV input has which system.

Very few receivers convert composite (RCA cables) across to S-video (I got mine that does indeed do this just last week). Even fewer receivers will convert S-video or composite over to component (we're talking the over-$1k receivers). Bob's suggestion is very good. For higher res X-box images, do as Brad suggested above. Pick up the HD cable pack for X-box, and, at least for that system, you won't have to worry about cross-conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks