What's new

Surround Speaker placement (1 Viewer)

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator
My surround speakers are of the swivel variety (tweeter on top and midrange on the bottom). If i'm sitting with the speakers directly to the side of me, or a foot behind me, do i want the tweeters or the midranges to face inwards? I plan on having the other half of the speaker facing foward for dispersion and for those not sitting in the center.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Surrounds should not point directly at the listener, so in the case given, I don't think it will make much difference either way. If the speakers are close to nearby side walls, I would put the tweeter farther from the wall.

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator
I thought i remember seeing on the Dolby website that if you're sitting along the back wall to have your surround speakers facing each other.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Facing eachother is an option, notably if you have them 2-3' above the listening position. Facing forward is another. Which is best will depend on your room. Experimentation is the only way to find out what works best. In my previous room, facing each other, on stands at the back of the room, ~4' behind the listening position, gave me the best results.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
From Dolby:"The surround speakers should be placed alongside and slightly to the rear of (but not behind) the prime seating position (Figure 8); well above ear level, to help minimize localization effects (Figure 9); and aimed directly across the listening area, not down at the listeners (Figure 10). This arrangement creates a diffuse, enveloping surround sound field throughout the listening area, like that in cinemas and in the dubbing theaters where soundtracks are mixed. If the speakers are too far forward, you won't get sufficient rearward effect, and if the speakers are too far back, there will be a loss of envelopment and integration of the surround information with the whole sound field".
Factors determine output. Is this for DVD theater, DVD-Audio? Will you use monopole, (direct-radiating), dipoles, bi poles, or tripoles? Aiming them done will ruin the effect.

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator
They are monopole, and the speaker swivels (Bose style) so that i can aim the tweeter in one direction and the midrange in another. For 5.1 what's the best way i can set up my speakers, i understand about not tilting them down or what not, just whether facings each other, facing front, or both.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
I have found by research and just experimentation that facing my side surrounds directly at each other yielded the optimum results. Some speaker manufacturers prompt users to aim side surrounds at the wall or ceiling for a greater ratio of reflected to direct sound to help reduce localization. DTS and Dolby Digital modes differ in placement. I would just draw an imaginary line thru the sweet spot sofa and place them a foot behind that, aimed straight across to the other and place them at least three feet above your ear level. It is your call though.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I learn something new here everyday. I was plan on wall mounting mine soon. After reading Scott's post it will be real soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks