What's new

S Video Vs. Component (1 Viewer)

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I know this has probably been debated before, but is there a NIGHT AND DAY difference between connecting a DVD player to a TV with S Video rather than splitting the connections totally and going component? I know component is the best connection you can get, but for a TV set like mine, a Sony Trinitron 27" or so, would it make a HELL of a difference if I switch from S Video to component in terms of picture quality? My screen is only 27 inches or so...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I do not believe that you would see a big difference on a 27”display between S-Video and component, so long as the discussion is limited to NTSC (standard definition) signals. You would probably see most of the improvement in richer colors.

But, if your 27” display is HD ready and you have an HD receiver, there will be a very noticeable jump in quality, as you won’t get HD via S-Video.

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you much...I am not sure if my Sony is HD ready; BUT in GENERAL, you think with a screen size such as mine, the effect wouldn't be as dramatic going from S Video to component?

"Who the HELL do you think you ARE? You think your secular education gives you the right to question the CHURCH? SIT DOWN! SIT!!"
-Murray Hamilton, "The Amityville Horror"

Ryan*Pr*

Agent
In general for your screen size S Video will be fine and you will notice little or no improvement in a conventional TV.

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks....

What about when you get to larger screen sizes? The differences are definitely more apparent? My parents have a 55" projection Mitsubishi in their house in Nevada, with a surround system run by the same Onkyo SR600 that I have; I am not sure what their Panasonic DVD player is connected via, S Video or component, but the picture SEEMS like it could possibly be a bit clearer; but on my 27", S Video seems alright to go by?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In general for your screen size S Video will be fine and you will notice little or no improvement in a conventional TV.
HUH? The primary difference between Component and S-vid is color separation. I got a very noticable improvement in color depth when going from S-vid to component on my 32" WEGA.

The reason you see less improvement on direct view TVs vs projection is due to the fact that most projection TVs cannot display the image as well as a tube, and when magnified on a larger screen, smaller defects are more noticable.

There will be no significant difference in resolution, but the improved color only may or may not be worth it to you. Below 27", it begins to matter less.

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
So then, can S Video be considered "good enough" for everyday, general viewing of DVDs through a surround system---especially on a 27 inch screen? Is S Video good enough to "do the job" for most people?

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you. I think maybe when or if I ever move to join my family in Nevada and re-do my surround system there, I will upgrade to component, just to know I would be getting the best transfer possible, video-wise...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
HUH? The primary difference between Component and S-vid is color separation.
That's certainly not true, John.
S-Video carries exactly the same information as the three-colour (component) signal does. S-Video is based on the wish to have a signal that can be fed to a B/W monitor, hence it carries the "sum" of the three colours (and two of the colours).

It's even more so if we're talking DVD: one could say that the video on the DVD is the S-Video signal. The only difference you can perceive depends on the quality of the decoder: if component comes out the DVD you use the decoder that was built in the player, if you use S-Video, the signal is still untouched (and the RGB-colours will be formed inside your monitor or projector).

Cees

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As I've mentioned before, I see a very marked — and well worthwhile — improvement when moving to component video on my bedroom 27-inch set. The colors are more palpable, the experience much more satisfying.

Rule of thumb, therefore: Whenever component-video connections are possible, use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks