What's new

Which cheap 10" Woofs for the neighbor? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Been out of serious car audio for a number of years and when I was in it I was using drivers that my much younger friend could not afford at this time. So here is the deal.....

The neighbor came to me today and asked for cheap driver ideas for a set of 10's for his 89-Mustang Hatchback.

He has "little cash" and sad to say (sound quality) is not to important). Volume/spl is what is important to him, using a clean 100 watts per driver at 4-ohms! :rolleyes:

The 2-10" drivers would be going into a dual chambered ported box ~{1.35-ft aside + some stuffing if needed and 1-3" port per side}~. It is a well built box as it's one of my old ones that I built and just gave it to him today. I can re-tune later for best performance given what he eventually goes with for drivers.

I have access to buying a number of car brands "at or near cost". Most are low to mid end brands...
I'll list what I have access to and might some of you recommend something from the brands listed to look into.
Please suggest (JUST from the brands listed) as these are the only brands I can get extreme price breaks on.

It would be very much appreciated as I have no idea from these brands.

Brands Available:
Digital Acoustic
Fusion
Pioneer
Visonik
G&S Designs
Pheonix Gold
Crunch
HiFonics
Blackmaxx
Audiovox
Prestige
SPL
Soundstorm
Lanzar
Power Acoustic
Swiss Audio
Ultra Linear
Lighting Audio
Reactor
Volfenhag
Cyclone
Shatter
LA Sound
Legacy
MA Audio
DHD
Pyle
Jensen

=======>
Edit: A couple more brands..
Earthquake
Autoteck
=======>

Well there you go, got any ideas for 2-cheap 10" drivers for his lil 89-Mustang?

Thanx & Regards
Geoff

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer seems to have a good reputation for cheap but decent subwoofers. I can't recommend a model, but out of those brands I would choose pioneer.
Andrew

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
well for the box you have lets see?

Lanzar packs a punch but tose suckers are heavy

Pyle friend has a set of 10's in his car sounds good

Crunch my first pair of subs man they where sweet and man do they pound ?

so from my experience any of these will do just fine for the hatch

:emoji_thumbsup:

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks to all for the replies so far.

The 10"-IMMP Pioneer linked is a decent price considering their suggested retail. I can get those for 34.99 apiece & also the DVC version for 2 bucks more.
If I care to purchase the 10"-IMMP Pioneers with out Pioneer standing behind their driver warranty, knock another 5.00 off each driver.

For those curious, they are brand new drivers, ~{not a B-stock blemished or refurb}~...

Anymore suggestions given the parameters I layed out in my first post.

Thanx
Geoff

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't get what joey recommended, thoose brands are that high-quality. The woofer gets damaged easily. If you had to get 2 10's that would have the most impact for the smallest amount of money, I'd look into Pioneer's 10 inch IMPP sub. It's on sale actually right here: http://www.cbrstereo.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=PSB

JessPrice i us to install systems before i become a tek and let me tell you something pioneer subs are not and i do mean are not great subs :thumbsdown: my mtx thunders will blow the crap out of the pio's and under stand with the new subs that are coming out now you could use a isobaric box less then 1 cubic foot and stick one 12 in it and it will blow away a set of tens :emoji_thumbsup:

so what i am saying if you get box you don't have to spend large amount of money :emoji_thumbsup: and believe me i have done alot of cars :)

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
Of course they aren't great subs. He can get them for $35 each. What he wants are very cheap 10 inch drivers. Pioneer has a decent quality-built sub (for the price once again) for very cheap. I have heard the IMMP in someone's car before running off of 100 watts and it got pretty loud and it wasn't all the bad. I stand by the Pioneer for his choice.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hey guys, this ain't a pissing match about who builds the best 10" drivers, etc.

The box being used has been posted, the amount to spend is a little as possible on 2-10" drivers.

The question is very simple, of the brands listed what might one recommend for the power, type box, and car it's going into. He just wants loud deep bass like every other teenager..

So lets keep it clean with just your ides and recommendations for 10's that might do a decent job from the list and do it CHEAP!

Thanx
Geoff

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
number one the post was not supposed to be confrontational i was was just trying to make a point listen to the subs and then choose the one you like :) bottom line

every body has there flavor for speakers so you will get good advice from us ,but you still have to live with your choice .cheers :)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
This is true, but at the same time I have never used low end drivers and have no idea what might perform the best for his needs.

I have to order the drivers out of Ohio so I do not have access to the models & test ever driver they carry. Also the TS params are not listed for each driver and I can not access PDF files to get them. I am on Web-Tv junk!

I can call, but Jim and other sales people that work their get a little pissed when I call and ask for 10 different Driver parameters. They are a Huge Wholesaler and sell in mass quantities to dealers all over the US.

So yes, in the end I'll have to make a choice,,,I but hoped that some of you had used some of these brands and off brands that I have never used.

I used Mule, RE, Eclipse, Audiomobile, etc, when I was playing the car game. It was also about SQ and not SPL! These brands are far out of his reach in dollars.

Hope I have made the case a little clearer for you guys.

Anybody used SPL drivers???
From a shear build stand point they appear to be constructed well (from the Wholesalers catalog information).

Model is: SPL~ML10W List-$129.00
Die Cast 12-spoke Polished Aluminum basket, spun aluminum cone Anti res coating ultra lite weight, Polished front and back plate, Dual conex spider, Woven tinsel lead through spider, 2"-voice coil, large slant rubber surround, chrome screw terminals, cyclo vent cooling..
Dual 4-ohm Voice coils
Weight-21-lbs
Maximum peek power 1200-watts

This information taken from the Wholesale catalog. No TS-prams given..

I know nothing of this brands drivers other than I believe Power Acoustic may possibly design and build them...?

Anybody know anything about this driver?

Regards
Geoff

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
well the spl SPL~ML10W has pretty good range they sound pretty good that actual should rock the hatch :)

now you got me curious about the speakers :) nice magnet, good build hmmmmm :emoji_thumbsup: sounds like a pretty good speaker

i would take a chance on the SPL~ML10W

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Are you implying you have actually used this driver???

With out bickering for a better price these run 49.00 a driver. I need to see if I can find TS-Pramas for the driver before anything. They usually are close for the big names, but have seen drivers (especially no name and low end) be quite far off when "actually lab measured".

I have not even done a search for the driver, which I will do now. I am leary of spin off brands, but in my friends case I might make an exception if the price is right and it models well.
He is the typical 20 year old, don't care as long as it's cheap & loud....:rolleyes

Search time
Geoff

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
actually called a Friend of mine and he said they are not bad at all for the price :) it might be worth looking in to :)

let me know how it goes

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Well can't find crap on TS-pramas, just recommend enclosure size ported and sealed.

Sealed .50^ft
Ported 1.45^ft
1-3"Port 11-3/4" tune-33Hz

Guess I will have to call once I am ready to order stuff for him. Jim my salesman, loves me when I ask him to tear into a unit (has to have the warehouse send one up stairs) in order to get the TS-prams and if not included, he'll give me the manufactures # and I call them...
Generally their included in the Drivers box. If not it's piss poor woof to begin with..;)

At this point I'll most likely go with the IMMP-Pioneers simply because of the brand, price, and warranty. He'll will most likely make use of the warranty...:D
If the price break is good enough and the TS prams are decent on the SPL-10", I may go that way. Will just have to wait and see....

=======>
Also I made a mistake on the SPL-10" weight per driver.
Shipping weight-31-lbs
Raw Driver weight- 25-lbs
=======>

With the ported box and no subsonic filter in line at first, ~{brain dead could blow them easily}~ if he doesn't listen to some advice.
Boys will always be boys in the end, right...:D

Thanx
Geoff

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
How about a brahma 15"?

lol j/k
I would say go with the pioneer.. and make sure you build a good box... even great speakers will not perform well in a sub-par box..

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff L you are so right boys will be boys and we all love are toys :)

so let me know how everthing goes :emoji_thumbsup:

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Johan D

Nice joke, very aware of the big bad Brahma...:emoji_thumbsup: Think their releasing a bigger or better Brahma. I think Brett posted a link to it sometime ago in the DIY section.

But, as you know from my prior posts, this is a limited budget sub situation....!
Very limited.:laugh:

The one thing he dose have is a well built & good looking box. Back when I built it I used 1.5 MDF all sides, proper bracing, well siliconed sealed inside, even bedliner was sprayed inside. Last but not least a PP 3" flared port in each drivers section/compartment.

Actually the box is extreme over kill for him, but I have no use for it or the other car/truck/blazer boxes I built that now are just taking up space at our house. I hear about it from the better half all the time. When you gonna get rid of them damn things....:D

It's amazing how much you buy, build, and collect from car & home audio over the years. Our dollars now go into our HT and Audio rooms in the house. Pretty much lost the craze for car audio, that is, ~{in the extreme of the old days}~...!

JL Audio was just starting to making a name for themselves when I was into the car thing hard. Alpine head units, MB-Quart component speaks, PP amps, and ADS separates where big players back then.
Might still be players, as I pay no attention to where car audio has gone.

My how time flys, seems like yesterday we where pounding in my 69-Z28 on our way to see AC DC in concert 15 years ago..:b

Cheers
Geoff

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
yep i remeber those days man that was a fine time and yes i miss my 1967 camaro convertable with the hide away lites and boy I FEEL OLD NOW :b

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff L,

Wow.. 1.5" MDF does sound overkill for a budget application :) I ran dual 12" JBL subwoofers in a sealed box using 3/4" MDF.. (was my first setup)

The box was built by a professional carpenter.. who was a father of a friend..

That thing was so well built/braced.. I could jump on it and it wouldn't even flex.. hehe (gave it the jump test ;)
I probably was about 235lbs at the time so it was a decent test..

Also once you choose a woofer.. make sure the internal volume is appropirate for that woofer.. but i'm sure you know that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks