What's new

Car Subwoofer, small box, low cost high quality... Suggestions? [*** car newbie ***] (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
I've never built a car sub before but I'm interested in giving it a try, and I thought I'd float this in the new car section here at HTF.

I'd like to put a small sealed trunk subwoofer for my Accord and I'm looking for a decent quality driver, say, around $100 but I'd be willing to go less. I don't need 1.21 gigawatts of power handling, but I would like nice clean extension up to a reasonable volume level. I'm thinking I can do better and with a single high quality driver than 2 junk ones. I'd also like the box not to take my entire trunk, maybe a foot cubed or so. I'm thinking a 10" would be a better match for my small car than a 12, and cheaper too.

So am I out of my mind, or is all of the above possible? Do I need to look into the $125-150 range (Say the Dayton DSQ 10 or the Image Dynamics IDQ10)? How's the Dayton Quatro line? Will cabin gain really cover the huge sloping dropoff in their plots?

Thanks for any advice you can give a newb

Andrew

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
I am an expert in car audio, or at least I'd like to think that. For your situation, the Adire Shiva, no contest!

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
The Shiva is no small box subwoofer. If you put it in a 1ft^3 enclosure, you're going to have a sharp rolloff, high F3 and probably a significant peak around 65hz.

Cabin gain will help you out, but a lack of low frequency output will probably be noticeable. I'd consider the IDQ, though I admit I know little of the driver. Do you have a link to it's T/S's?

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
For a cheap sub, you can't beat the value of it. It may have a sharper roll off into the lower frequencies, but it is a entry level priced sub. I don't think the IDQ's are at the same level as the shiva, but I have much respect for image dynamics. I almost went with their IDMAX subwoofer.

The IDQ's are a great subwoofer no doubt. You would be happy with eigther.

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/webs...ducts/idq.html

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Hey, lookit that, both of these drivers are in WinISD. The Shiva doesn't look too bad in a cubic foot box, and has significantly better power handling. Stepping up to a cube and a half looks really nice. Anyone know how I can account for cabin gain in automotive applications? I suppose cabin gain is going to be why I'd get a hump at 65 hz? WinISD only shows a decibel or two. Does one of the box modellers have a cabin gain estimator function?

And sorry if these are dirt stupid questions!

Thanks
Andrew

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
"I suppose cabin gain is going to be why I'd get a hump at 65 hz? WinISD only shows a decibel or two."

No, cabin gain should help out a bit below that, just don't expect all that much in the around 25-30hz. I just guessed that there would be a peak around 65hz do to the high Q alignment that will result from putting a Shiva in a small enclosure. 2db's certainly isn't that bad, though, and maybe the Shiva is a better performer in that sized enclosure than I thought. Just remember that out of efficiency, small enclosure, and low extension, you can only have two at a time.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Thanks, Grimey.

Looking at Stryke's new SAE-1204 ($85) and Pioneer's TS-W304F sub ($48 at etronics). The stryke models like a Shiva with less Pe and the Pioneer is an unknown, but looks to be small box friendly, and is dirt cheap. Couple it with a cheap amp and couple of bucks of mdf... have I hit the bargin bin or the dumpster?

Anyone thoughts? Anyone seen the specs on the Pioneer Free Air series?

TIA,
Andrew

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Andrew,

The Stryke SAE1204 has been out, but the new driver is the SAE1201, which can be had for $85 if you get in on the current preorder. This means you'll have has to wait 4-6 weeks before you actually get the woofer though. Look here for more information.

I would recommend the Stryke SAE1204, it simliar output abilities as the Shiva, but models much better in a 1 cu ft enclosure. With polyfill, you can get the qtc under .7 which will sound better. John J. has mentioned it costs about twice as much to build the SAE1204 than the Shiva(better motor?), yet they still sell around the same price.

johnM

Auditioning
Check out the Nakamichi SP-W120. It is a discontinued model but you can still pick one up at thezeb.com or woofersetc.com I think for about $75. It is a very good sounding subwoofer. It doesn't have huge power handling or anything just top-notch sound quality. I have mine in a .85cf sealed box and it sounds great.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Image Dynamics IDQ 12. Similar SQ to the Shiva (based on mine and many other car audio buffs opinion) but much smaller enclosures needed.

Niraj Patel

Agent
For small enclosures, the Alpine Type R is an excellent choice as is my personal favorite, the Elemental Design K Series.

Sean Me

Grip
I really like the Pioneer TS-W subs, I don't think you can find a sub under $125 that will really put it to shame. Infinity reference and Aura Force subs are supposed to be decent SQ oriented budget subs as well.

If you are going above $125 for the sub a whole new world of possibilites opens up with edesigns, Image Dynamics, ADS, ARC, and many others.

From what I have seen most people agree that 1 cube is too small for the shiva.

For a budget priced amp take a look at my post in the cheap 2 channel amp thread.

Users who are viewing this thread