What's new

Alright...strange questions here... (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
...I have been having this wonderment lately trying to find and locate photos and any information pertaining to old theaters. So far I have found some wonderful sites on the internet of the outsides of theaters, but nothing of the insides of classic theaters...anyone know of any sites that have interior views and not just the outside....

ALSO...when many of these old theaters are sold and closed down it is written in contracts that the theaters can never again be used for the purpose of showing films again...why is this and what is the point behind it?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I assume you've tried these sites:

Cinema Treasures
League of Historic American Theatres
Theatre Historical Society of America

There are many books that have great interior shots - search on Amazon using the keywords "Movie Palaces"

Here's a link to the theatre where I run my Big Screen Classics series: Big Screen Classics ; If you click on the photo, you'll get a nice interior view of the historic Lafayette Theatre. There will be a more complete photo gallery up in a couple of weeks.

ALSO...when many of these old theaters are sold and closed down it is written in contracts that the theaters can never again be used for the purpose of showing films again...why is this and what is the point behind it?
That language is usually only used when a theatre company (think Loews or Regal) owns an old theater and wants to close it down because they are putting up a big megaplex 2 miles away. They don't want anybody else running a movie theatre near them; it's to stifle the competition. Also, many towns who end up owning these old properties don't want them to be movie theatres, they want "Performing Arts Centers" instead, so they insert that language.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Peter...thank you! Cinema Treasures is a wonderful site and I visit it often.

I cannot tell you how much I would love to be there for the festival on Septemeber 6...the Marx Brothers are one of my favorites and I have never had the pleasure of seeing them on the big screen.

Here in Charlotte, there is not a single classic movie theater around. The closest to it that we have a place called the Manor that is two screens and it is the 'art house' theater, but to show classic films, hell no...doesn't happen.

It is nice to know that other lovers of classic movies and movie palaces are here. We are a rare breed.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
We ran A NIGHT AT THE OPERA back in April during the spring series and it was extremely well-received - we had over 250 people there, many families with kids, too. Everybody seemed to enjoy it very much, which is why the Marx Bros. are making a return trip this fall. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks