What's new

reciever on its side? (1 Viewer)

GregKin

Auditioning
Hi,

I've just moved and had to get a new TV stand -- due to a lack of measuring tape and foresight on my part, the receiver is too large to put on any of the shelves, and there is no place above the TV to put it... My girlfriend is suggesting putting the reciever on its side -- I can't think that it's good for the receiver, but how bad is it? It's an Onkyo 696, which has top and bottom air vents, not on the sides...

Thanks,

-Greg

Brian.Huep

Agent
Well, no expert here but, I would think with the weight of some of these receivers, especially some Onkyo's that putting it on it's side would be a bad idea. The base is meant to hold the weight, not the thin side chassis metal. Secondly you have no side air vents, and since heat rises, I really cannot see that being good.

I would floor mount before side mount.

Again, no genious here.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Putting the unit on its side would be ok from the standpoint that it would still work fine. There are no mechanical parts so it should function the same in any orientation.

However the issue you will run into is that the unit is designed to cool when it is on base. The vents are at the top and heat is aloud to rise out of the unit and cool off. With the unit on its side the heat will not have as easy a time escaping form the vents. So you may run into problems in that respect.

If you can live with looking at the display sideways then I say give it a try and keep an eye on how hot it gets.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
heat rises. if you were to have your unit on the side, the heat would rise and cook along the entire length of your circuit board. that's even worse then the heat just rising straight up when the unit is horizontal.

there is pretty much no way i would do this.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
shervin - i think that's possible.

some stress could occur at the solder points. especially if your receiver has big/tall capacitors. or a big power-supply.

dunno about all the smaller sized components though.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about something coming loose, because the heat would probably fry it first. Please figure out a way to keep it upright, even you you have to place a stereo cabinet on top of some cinder blocks, and in the beginning of the manual it will tell you how many inches of free space around it are preferred.

A neat idea, but not for that!

Glenn

GregKin

Auditioning
trust me, I wasn't a big fan of the idea, and you've given me enough arguments that it is back at the proper orientation :)

now I just need to find a new stereo stand/tv stand...

-Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks