Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Should I replace my old JBL L40's with JBL 310II's?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 John Pine

John Pine

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 03:46 AM

For those too young to know, the JBL L40 is a "large bookshelf" ported two-way speaker with a 10" woofer and 1" dome tweeter built in the late 70's. My woofers of course have been re-foamed. I haven't had a chance to audition the 310II's yet but have read they have a loyal following. My L40's still have their original maple finish but everything else I own(TV, all audio components, center & sub)is black. I can't bring myself to stain them black. I listen to mostly music 70/30, the music being concert DVD's and old CD's. Music-wise, I listen to everything from Rock, Blues and Jazz to Classical. F.Y.I...here's the other components to my budget system: Yamaha RX-V530, X-Box, JBL L40's(mains) Boston Acoustics 424v(cen) JBL N24II's(rears) Velodyne CHT-12(sub). I wonder if there's anyone out there that has heard both of these speakers? Maybe Phil("Mr JBL")??? If I replace them should I stick with my Home Depot 12 gauge or buy some Monster Cable Z1? Sorry for the long post! Thanks!
"War Eagle!"

#2 of 6 Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 04:14 AM

Hi John,

I can say that my brother has the 310II's and that they sound good, IMO...and he has yet to completely optimize them (since he is moving soon) And they are not very expensive at all...only $185 each at bestpriceaudiovideo.com or they have free shipping at bhphoto.com for $199 each, consequently that is where my brothers came from and had no problems with them...

definitely good sound for the money

Mike
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem. Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash.

#3 of 6 Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 06:33 AM

Quote:
...anyone out there that has heard both of these speakers? Maybe Phil("Mr JBL")???

Hi John! Unfortunately, I don't remember auditioning them at our local Stereo Store (Pacific Stereo) during the late 70's or so. They did have the JBL Century L100 w/their different colored foam waffle-square speaker cover and from what I remember, we all thought those sounded great playing the Sheffield Labs Direct to Disk Record music by Lincoln Mayorga & Harry James - Big Band! (Technics Direct Drive Turntable w/Shure and Stanton top-line stereo cartridges - remember those???)

Now, about the JBL S310II's, although I have not critically auditioned them per se, I am familiar with their sound & vocal characteristics since I own & have been enjoying my JBL S26's (x6) & JBL S-Center (since Feb '02).

All JBL S-Series speakers use the same Identical 1" Pure Titanium Dome tweeter (JBL pioneered titanium domes way back in 1984) so the SPL sound characteristics will sound virtually identical from the different S-Series models HF crossover (my JBL S26 x-over = 2 kHz) up to S&V Objective Benchmark (S38) 20 kHz ±3.8 dB. One of the most obvious difference if you were to compare the L40 vs. S310II is the high's are more accurate, detailed and crisps! Careful design keeps them from sounding harsh or piercing.

For a more detailed subjective review, I recommend reading Gabriel Lowe May, 2003 - JBL Studio S310II Floor-Standing Speakers Product Review! Some of the highlights which I wholeheartedly agree with are quoted below ...

Quote:
The detail these speakers produced was a pleasant surprise. ... The piano and drums sounded very accurate and crisp, something I always listen for when auditioning speakers. When the saxophone comes in about a minute into the track, it was reproduced perfectly. Cymbals are not the easiest sound to reproduce accurately, but the S310IIs did it with aplomb. I next listened to a recording of Paul Schoenfeld playing some of Scott Joplin’s famous ragtime tunes to further test the speakers’ ability to reproduce accurate piano. Again, the notes and character of the instrument sounded excellent.

... The bass extension as well as clarity throughout the change from soft to loud was beautiful. I imagine that with the matched center speaker, this system would sound awesome for the price range we are dealing with here.

Hope this helps,
Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#4 of 6 John Pine

John Pine

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 06:47 AM

Mike: Thanks for the feedback!

Phil: "Sheffield Labs Direct to Disk Record music by Lincoln Mayoral & Harry James - Big Band! (Technics Direct Drive Turntable w/Shure and Stanton top-line stereo cartridges - remember those???)"

Unfortunately(getting old), I remember everything you mentioned! Thanks for the input, I'm printing your link right now! Should I even bother with upgrading my speaker wire?
"War Eagle!"

#5 of 6 Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 06:52 AM

Quote:
Should I even bother with upgrading my speaker wire?

I would recommend sticking with your Home Depot 12GA wire!

- Quick spelling correction, it's Lincoln Mayorga! :b (I corrected my post above!)

Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#6 of 6 John Pine

John Pine

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 08:46 AM

Copy that. Thanks Phil!
"War Eagle!"

Forum Nav Content I Follow