What's new

Progressive scan and DVI connection questions. (1 Viewer)

Brian Mixon

Agent
This could very well be a stupid question, but ugh im just wondering...if a tv has component inputs does that mean it will run in progressive scan through the right dvd player? I bought a used 60" sony projection tv. I think its about four years old.
I have no manual and cant think of a way to tell for sure what its capable of in high definition.
Also on another topic I was thinking about getting a dvd player with a DVI connection.
Although im pretty positive I cant have a DVI-D connection(digital to digital). I believe I would need a digital to analog connection. And im very curious to find out if in that form of connection, is the picture still by far superior? Or is it just a minor upgrade over analog to analog component connection?
I myself figure no matter what DVI connection I use, it would be a better way to go. Ecspecially if my tv isnt progressive scan capable. Due to the fact that I would be able to atleast play the dvd at 1080i resolution...right?

Please feel free to set me straight if it sounds like I heard somthing wrong.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The manuals for Sony TV's are usually available online. Without the manual, you cannot be sure, but a TV is not automatically progressive capable just because it has component inputs. To be progressive capable requires more than component, it also requires the TV to be HDTV or at least 480p capable. If your TV is 4:3 and is not HDTV capable (it would have "HDTV" somewhere on the front), it is probably not progressive capable because TV's that are/were "480p only" are few and far between.

hitendra

Grip
No - just having component does not mean that it is progressive.

Your TV should have at least 480p or 1080p or both - the p denotes progressive.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
DVI, like component video, also comes in different "scan rates", called "resolutions". A TV that takes DVI may autoselect between two or more such resolutions but you have to be sure it accepts the resolution the DVD player delivers. Otherwise it won't work.

I don't know of any module that converts DVI from a DVD player into component video for a TV without DVI input jacks. Most DVD players with DVI also have (analog) component video output.

In my opinion, a good 480p component video connection is slightly better than a 640 x 480 DVI connection although a 720 x 480 DVI connection should be slibhtly better still. (I don't think anyone uses 480i DVI)

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Brian Mixon

Agent
Yeah...it doesnt say HDTV so...I guess im gonna have to start saving for that Mitsubishi 65".

Thanks for the replys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks