What's new

newbie with surround sound....please help?!?! (1 Viewer)

Donny Waters

Auditioning
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a new surround sound system for my apartment. While its not the best in the world (Amphion Media Works) I figured it'd be better than nothing.
The problem I'm having is that the effects and all sound awesome (ie: the battles in "Saving Private Ryan") but its very hard to hear the words. Like I said, I live in an apartment, and when I turn the volume up to hear the talking in the movie and something happens, like a car crash or something, it gets VERY loud. (and gets the neighbors pretty mad as well). What can I do to turn the effects down and/or the talking up?!?! Is there a website that can help me with the settings?!?! Thanks. :b

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
If you can, turn on midnight mode, or whatever it's called. That will decrease the dynamic range, making the loud scenes quieter and the quiet scenes louder on DVD's. Also you could just turn up the volume on your center channel, but doing that might make it sound unbalanced.

Donny Waters

Auditioning
I dont think it has a midnight mode. It also doesnt have individual speaker volumes that i know of :frowning:

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
I would think that it must have individual speaker volume controls. You could get a different center channel. The speakers wouldn't be timbre matched then, but it would help the dialog. Also make sure you're sitting directly in front of the speaker, and not off axis either way. MTM center channels like that have very bad off axis horizontal response.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, but if this is the $99 system that popped up on google in my brief search, I'm not betting on it having anything in the way of adjustments really. Still, read the manual, it SHOULD have some sort of menu that you can adjust individual speaker levels at least. If not, you may be stuck adjusting the volume constantly. DVDs have huge dynamic range, and that's just the way it is, unless you use a night mode feature, or tweak your center channel up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks