What's new

Please recommend movies that feature Father-Daughter relationship (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Title says it all. Preferably the two don't live together.

Of course, it would be nice if the movie also happened to be good.

--
Holadem

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It's really hard to tell what you're after, but here goes.

Father of the Bride (1991)

The Parent Trap (1961)

Chinatown

Mrs. Doubtfire

Uncle Buck (okay, it's uncle/niece)

Mulan

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Probably none of that is what you're after. :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the new hulk movie features deals with the theme of both father and daughter and father and son.

JACOB

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
To Kill A Mockingbird
About Schmidt

EDIT:

After re-reading your initial post, I think About Schmidt would be more approprate, Holadem. :)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
It's really hard to tell what you're after, but here goes.

Chinatown

Probably none of that is what you're after.
Chinatown ? I don't think so :)

It is a great movie (one of my top-20), but I have a feeling that that is not the kind of movie Holadem is looking for.

-D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not really Father, but surrogate father, My first Mister

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
"I'll Do Anything", starring Nick Nolte, Albert Brooks, Julie Kavner, Joely Richardson, Tracey Ullman, and featuring a funny little cameo by Ian McKellen. One of the few movies that actually benefited from being subjected to the whims of focus groups (it was originally going to be a musical, which I don't think would have worked for this particular film).

Nolte plays Matt Hobbs, a struggling actor who has to take custody of his five-year-old, whom he hasn't seen since she was born. The mother (Ullman) is going to jail for tax fraud, so Matt and his daughter Jeannie are left in the awkward situation of living as a family without having ever been one. It doesn't help matters that Jeannie's been spoiled rotten by her mother, and has an incredibly obnoxious sense of entitlement. Still, her over-the-top personality is so endearing that we can't help but to forgive her for it. There are a number of great subplots involving the personal lives of the people Matt works for/with, but the best parts of the film are the sequences involving Matt and Jeannie's initially adversarial relationship, and how it begins to grow. Great performances all around, especiall from Whittni Wright, who plays Jeannie, and Nolte. Brooks and Kavner are terrific, too.

I'm not a parent, so I can't tell you if the film is realistic in any way, but I CAN tell you that I never get tired of it. And it's FINALLY out on DVD :D

I'd also recommend "Bye Bye Love", although the father-daughter part of the plot is only one of several interconnected stories dealing with divorce, and how it affects three friends and their relationships to their children and their ex-wives. Paul Reiser and Eliza Dushku are great in their scenes, however.

The film's only out on VHS, so that might be a turn off.

Dennis

Second Unit
Holadem, this film follows all of your criteria.

Shoot the Moon

Directed by Alan Parker

Starring Albert Finney, Diane Keaton, Dana Hill, Peter Weller and Karen Allen.

This film is about the effect(s) a couple's (Finney, Keaton) separation has on their four daughters, especially the oldest (Hill). Peter Weller and Karen Allen are the couple's post-separation partners. Great performances all around, not available on DVD yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks