What's new

Looking to buy HDTV...thoughts on Mitsubishi TVs (1 Viewer)

Bishop

Auditioning
I am looking at the Mitsubishi WS48-311. I don't have alot of knowledge as of yet but learning on what to look for.

Specs:

I looked on Sears.com and they have a Silver and a Silver Plus series. Anyone know the difference between the two?

I of course am interested in this set to play XBox, PS2 games and DVD movies.

What do you guys think of this set?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Bishop,
If you do a search, you'll find a BOATLOAD of folks commenting on the new Mitsubishis. I got the 55311 when it came out last August and it has been a great display with no problems. I calibrate with AVIA from time to time (like I do with all of my sets) and I run a really good surge protector on it to give it a good power supply as 2 great things to help it running out of the gates.

One other piece of advice - go as big as you can afford. I love my 55", but I could get the 65" for the same price as I paid a year ago and it wouldn't bother me at all : )

Good luck and post what you decide!

Matt

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Bishop,

I think you should consider ther ws-48313 instead. the 48311 is last year's model. The new model has DVI connection which I think might be very important in the future. Since you are looking at sears.com they have the new model listed. It is teh sivler series. the silver plus model, ws-48413 cost $200 dollars model and has a few more features.

-Vic

Don_Goreham

Agent
I've had a Mitsubishi WS65809 for over a year now. I have loved it tremendously. It is now in our living room after getting a front projector for the Theater.

The only thing that I would consider is that Mitsubishis tend to suffer from a lot of red push. This can be fixed with some tweaking. If you are a person that loves to tweak then the Mitsubishi will be the TV for you as it is extrememely easy to adjust. Well except for the red push.

later,

Don

John Royster

Screenwriter
I would not buy a x11 set and instead look to the newer mitsubishis that are hitting the streets. Way too many new features and flexibility.

You can tell by the x13 model number

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing that I would consider is that Mitsubishis tend to suffer from a lot of red push. This can be fixed with some tweaking. If you are a person that loves to tweak then the Mitsubishi will be the TV for you as it is extrememely easy to adjust. Well except for the red push.
My aunt and uncle just got the WS-48313 and I was at their house yesterday playing with it. The new Mitsubishi sets now have options right in the standard menu for disabling SVM as well as individual color adjustment. No more need for an IC2 fix or service menu adjustment to correct the red push (although you may still need some test gear to properly set the grayscale 100%). All in all it looked like a fantastic set and was displaying a gorgeous picture.

Ozzie

Agent
I've had the WS55809 for over a year now and have only used it twice. Originally, my pre construction house was going to be ready in December of last year...how ignorant of me to think that.
Anyhow, we are closing in 20 days and I finally got the chance to really put my WS55809 to the test...THE MATRIX!
The picture quality when paired with a progressive Scan DVD player is amazing. The reason why I bought this unit was because it looked the best to me in the showroom. It beat out all the Toshiba's, Hitachi's, Sony's and Panny's in it's price range when it came to picture quality alone.
I am also a fan of the box...plain and simple yet stylish and sleek. my review for Mitsubishi's :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I can't wait to set up at the new house...I have it all wired up for my surround and satelite...

good luck

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bishop,
if you're really interested in knowing the differences between each of the new mitsubishi models, let me know and I can email them to you (or anyone else if they're interested).

Hugo

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Dan,
The non-Best Buy versions of those sets had those features last year (x11), too.

I would add that if you can afford one with DVI,etc, to go ahead and get it to be safe. The promise module only promises to cost me half as much as the TV!!LOL!

Matt

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I've had the 48511 for about 3 months, love it. In short though I would also strongly recommend you keep an eye open for the xxx13 models. The DVI support might be nice and I'd read (though it may have only been rumor) that there would be 720p support, which the xxx11 models do not have. You mentioned you'd use it for XBOX and there look to be a handful of 720p games coming out later this year that I am sad to know i'll only get to play in 480p.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Full color decoder access in ALL modes (x11 sets were for 480i only...no way to fix 480p/1080i without computer attached to TV).
Better scaler and line doubler
Rumored 720p support
DVI
65813 has 9" CRTs for outstanding resolution (sweet)

All WAY too important not to wait.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I've been enjoying my 65807 for a couple of years now. Just recently fixed red push with a variable signal attenuator and it looks great. It was been a really decent set. I bought it at Sears and they were more than willing to price match, but they were having a sale on it and it was cheaper than any on-line price I had seen anyway. I used my Sears card and got another discount. :D

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I'm about to pull the trigger on the ws-48413. Am I being ridiculous for buying a 48 inch TV in a 12'X 15' apartment living room? My viewing distance is going to be around 8 feet away from the screen. I want this to be the last TV I buy for a long time. The price is sub $2000, and no interest for 15 months.

Gene Severn

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the Mits 48413 4 weeks ago and absolutely love it. I also purchased the Mits 7040 prog. scan DVD player. The combination is awesome.

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
The Mits I have seen (48 &55") are the low end models. Haven't seen the gold or gold plus yet.
Of the 3 brands that I have looked at (Toshiba, Hitachi and Mits) Hitachi stood out as the best. The Toshiba was a lower end model also. The Hitachi was a mid end unit.

I don't know if the more expensive models (mostly with more features and but with improved optics, CRT's and electronics) would do better.

I looked at them in 3 stores and the Mits was tied with the Toshiba which surprised me. I was as supprised that the Hitachi look the best. Of course this wasn't a comtroled test, I did tweak all sets and tried to equal the playing field as best as I could.

Don_Goreham

Agent
AaronMan,

I don't think that you are being ridiculous in regards to your possible set size and the size of your living room. I had my 65" Mits in a spare bedroom that is 10x13. Of course that room was used solely for the TV. It was cramped.

You have to remember that these TVs take up quite a bit if space. You should find out the dimensions and do a test layout in your room where you will be placing this TV. Once I got used to the 65" size I started wanting bigger and am now using a Front Projector with a 94" screen in that same room.

Find a compromise between an acceptable set size and your desired screen size. You will always want bigger.

later,

Don

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Tyler- you can play Enter the Matrix in 1080i, along with a few other games, on your TV via the XBOX.

Aaron- I have almost exactly the same size room in my apartment and I'm running a 55311 with no problems. I could easily go 65" and do just fine : ) I understand what Don did above with the 94" thing - I'd be there in a minute if I had a house! LOL!

Matt

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks, guys. I bought the tv (ws-48413) and it was delivered on Saturday (10/4). This thing is awesome. Of course I've never owned a tv of this size before, so I can't really compare it to anything I've had in the past. It certainly blows away my old 27 inch Sony.

I think its a great size for my room, too. I thought it would look silly and dominate my room (well, it kinda does), but it looks nice.

It doesn't do 720p though. It converts to 480p. In fact, I couldn't find any in the 40 to 50 inch range that did 720p. It must be a pretty advanced feature that only the super high-end models have. I couldn't find that feature on any brand.

DVDs look great, especially the Pixar films. DirecTV and Laserdisc, not so good. But that's expected.

I'm very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread