What's new

What do I need to get DTS? (1 Viewer)

Ben_Ly

Agent
I'm pretty new to this entire Home Theater business and I when I set up DTS on DVD's I don't get any sound. I guess my question is, does DTS only work if you have an optical cable hooked up. I have my DVD player (Sony DVP-NS715P) hooked up with regular RCA-Type plugs. Also, my TV is old as hell and can only be hooked up with the same thing. I know my receiver is new enough (Denon 3300) to handle DTS so I'm confused why I am not getting any sound through it. Any suggestions would help especially if there dumbed down a bit so a newbie can understand them.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I have my DVD player (Sony DVP-NS715P) hooked up with regular RCA-Type plugs.
This could mean one of three things.

1) A right and left stereo pair
2) A full set of 6 RCA's for transfer of 5.1 analog
3) A single RCA acting as a digital coax.

If your situation is number 1, then you cannot get DTS or any discrete surround format. Assuming this is the case, you should convert the hookup to #3 above, and here is how. Remove that stereo RCA pair. Plug one end into the digital out jack in the back of the DVD player, and the other end into one of the Denon's digital inputs. If these RCA's are a pair stuck together, just ignore one. You only need a single connection. Then, enter your DVD players setup and enable bitsream and DTS. Some DVD players default to DTS disabled.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
You do not have to have a fiber optic cable to hear DTS. Maybe there is something wrong with the receiver?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Remove that stereo RCA pair. Plug one end into the digital out jack in the back of the DVD player, and the other end into one of the Denon's digital inputs.
DO NOT use audio cables in place of digital coax. If you do not have a coax cable, you may use a VIDEO cable instead, as it is essentially the same thing as a digital coax (75 ohm). Audio cables are not necessarily 75 Ohm, and may or may not work, depending on the cable.

Let me reiterate this: If you are using stereo RCAs to connect your player to your receiver, you WILL NOT get DTS or Dolby Digital. You MUST have a digital connection or multi-channel analog connections to get discrete audio playback.

Ben_Ly

Agent
Thanks, that may be the case. Stereo RCA's that is. I just have whatever I had laying around the house to hook them up. I was planning on going out and buying some better cables anyway and it looks like I'll have an excuse now. I'll try it and let you know

Jason Monette

Second Unit
Also check that your DVD player is sending the DTS Bitstream in the menu. Most DVD players come with the turned off, you will need to turn it on to be able to hear DTS.

Don't worry, it might sound like a lot to do just to get DTS, but it is worth it :b

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
We're gettin' there:

• Connect your DVD player to the receiver with either a coax or optical cable (and make sure you assign the correct input in the receiver's setup menu — i.e., "Optical 1," "Coaxial 1," etc.).

• Go into your DVD player's audio-setup menu and enable "Bitstream," or if the menu lists its thusly, "DTS" (as well as Dolby Digital).

• If your receiver has an auto-detect for whichever type of signal — Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro-Logic II, and whatever other surround formats it can process — select that.

• When you're playing a DVD that offers both DTS and Dolby Digital soundtracks, make sure you select "DTS" in the disc's audio-setup menu.

• Reread your owner's manuals for both the receiver and the player to check your work.

• Sit back, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks