Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What do I need to get DTS?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 05:13 PM

I'm pretty new to this entire Home Theater business and I when I set up DTS on DVD's I don't get any sound. I guess my question is, does DTS only work if you have an optical cable hooked up. I have my DVD player (Sony DVP-NS715P) hooked up with regular RCA-Type plugs. Also, my TV is old as hell and can only be hooked up with the same thing. I know my receiver is new enough (Denon 3300) to handle DTS so I'm confused why I am not getting any sound through it. Any suggestions would help especially if there dumbed down a bit so a newbie can understand them.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 06:27 PM

Quote:
I have my DVD player (Sony DVP-NS715P) hooked up with regular RCA-Type plugs.

This could mean one of three things.

1) A right and left stereo pair
2) A full set of 6 RCA's for transfer of 5.1 analog
3) A single RCA acting as a digital coax.

If your situation is number 1, then you cannot get DTS or any discrete surround format. Assuming this is the case, you should convert the hookup to #3 above, and here is how. Remove that stereo RCA pair. Plug one end into the digital out jack in the back of the DVD player, and the other end into one of the Denon's digital inputs. If these RCA's are a pair stuck together, just ignore one. You only need a single connection. Then, enter your DVD players setup and enable bitsream and DTS. Some DVD players default to DTS disabled.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Vincent_S

Vincent_S

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 06:27 PM

You do not have to have a fiber optic cable to hear DTS. Maybe there is something wrong with the receiver?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 25 2003 - 07:05 PM

Quote:
Remove that stereo RCA pair. Plug one end into the digital out jack in the back of the DVD player, and the other end into one of the Denon's digital inputs.

DO NOT use audio cables in place of digital coax. If you do not have a coax cable, you may use a VIDEO cable instead, as it is essentially the same thing as a digital coax (75 ohm). Audio cables are not necessarily 75 Ohm, and may or may not work, depending on the cable.

Let me reiterate this: If you are using stereo RCAs to connect your player to your receiver, you WILL NOT get DTS or Dolby Digital. You MUST have a digital connection or multi-channel analog connections to get discrete audio playback.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted July 26 2003 - 01:19 AM

Thanks, that may be the case. Stereo RCA's that is. I just have whatever I had laying around the house to hook them up. I was planning on going out and buying some better cables anyway and it looks like I'll have an excuse now. I'll try it and let you know

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Jason Monette

Jason Monette

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted July 26 2003 - 02:37 AM

Also check that your DVD player is sending the DTS Bitstream in the menu. Most DVD players come with the turned off, you will need to turn it on to be able to hear DTS.

Don't worry, it might sound like a lot to do just to get DTS, but it is worth it :b
The Sony STR-DA777ES Page
My DVD Collection

"The Choices we make, dictate the life we lead!"

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted July 26 2003 - 04:30 AM

We're gettin' there:

• Connect your DVD player to the receiver with either a coax or optical cable (and make sure you assign the correct input in the receiver's setup menu — i.e., "Optical 1," "Coaxial 1," etc.).

• Go into your DVD player's audio-setup menu and enable "Bitstream," or if the menu lists its thusly, "DTS" (as well as Dolby Digital).

• If your receiver has an auto-detect for whichever type of signal — Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro-Logic II, and whatever other surround formats it can process — select that.

• When you're playing a DVD that offers both DTS and Dolby Digital soundtracks, make sure you select "DTS" in the disc's audio-setup menu.

• Reread your owner's manuals for both the receiver and the player to check your work.

• Sit back, enjoy.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   hitendra

hitendra

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 09:06 PM

Also, check the DVD you are playing - not all DVD support DTS.

Forum Nav Content I Follow