What's new

Help! Sony STR-DA4ES is stuck in 2 channel mode (even for 5.1 sources) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I'm just now hooking up my Sony STR-DA4ES, and I can't get it to output 5.1 channels.

I'm using it as a preamp, so no speakers are hooked up to it directly. When I play a 5.1 DD or DTS source, the display says:

5.1 -> 2.0

It won't let me select any sound fields, and then I hit the "2 Channel" button, it shows me the on-screen menu, with "2 Channel" displayed, but it won't let me switch to "Auto".

I've made sure all speaker setup options are correct. Is there something I'm missing?:frowning:

JackS

Supporting Actor
Jonathan- Assuming the receiver is functioning correctly you have either made errors in your connections or have failed to correctly set-up your DVD player. Make sure your connected to the pre-outs and re-examine the menu items in your player. Good luck, Jack

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Make sure the speaker selection knob is set to "A Only". If you have it set to "A+B" it will be limited to 2-channel sound. I know because the same problem cropped up on a friend's system.

- Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks