What's new

What ever happened to all the Diva Lovers? (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
It was a little weird. The Diva was touted as a speaker system second to none...rivaling those costing thousands more. Then a "trade dress" issue pops up with the seller that curtails there ability to market the Diva. The Diva is dumbed for a new, better speaker...rivaling those costing thousands more...and yes...better than the Diva. I even read were Mark characterized the Diva as their "party speaker"...having that party bass. A huge departure from the way it was described prior to the "Trade Dress" issue. This in no way should diminish the quality of the new Rocket's...just market talk...I presume.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I think they are still active at the AV123 boards. Divas are still made under the Diva name. If you do a search you should be able to find out who the new distributor is.

I thought AV123 had a falling out with Diva before the trade dress issues and it just took some time to part.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I think Audio Insider is the new Distributor of swans.
Its the link I provided. I was thinking of picking up some of this old speakers from past. Since buying my 2003 Dodge Ram Hemi truck money has become a lil tight. They are offering me a great deal. A set of 6.1 , 2.1, and the C3 center for less than 1500. Since they ship out of LA he told me I could pick them up myself and save the cost of shipping, which is also great. I already Own a HSU VTF-3, so this is becoming very tempting for me.

So a year or more later. Was the Diva all hype or are they geniuely good??

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
All that for less than $1500?? If you get them...can I come listen? If you get them, can I come listen?

Don't forget, there is another great internet direct company out of LA, and they are definitely good.

Ascend Acoustics

CMT-340 l/r with matching stands (makes them look like towers)
CMT-340c center
CBM-170 surrounds

that will be under $1400, match that with the VTF-3, that would be the same set of speakers I have (without the stands), and it is a great setup.

More than welcome to come by for a listen.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
The "trade dress" issue was real and it wasn't that av123 had a falling out with Swans, they wanted a line that was completely there's. They had the Rockets in the works long before B&W brought their suit forth. The hype going away from Diva's certainly has a lot to do with many people gravitating to the Rockets but also the new distributor not being active on any of the forums. I've seen a few posts here and there but very minor, at least on the major forums.

I'd still like to get a chance to hear the Diva's some day. I've heard there are a couple of owners up here but I've yet to stumble across them.

Oh yeah...I love my Rockets.:b

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Can someone tell me what the "trade dress" issue is or was?
While the following is in no way a full description of the case or of the legal issues involved, they allegedly copied elements of B&W's distinctive speaker design by which many people identify the B&Ws as B&Ws and therefore could potentially be causing confusion among prospective buyers with the possible effect of reduced sales of B&Ws.

Burke

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I think the issue for me is not whether the Rockets or Divas are a good buy...but how the tone changes (from the distributor) when a new model pops up. The Divas were heralded as the most transparent, accurate, dynamic,...you get the point. In comes Trade Dress and other mysterious problems...and shortly the speaker is characterized as a good "party speaker." The Rockets hit the scene and they quickly assume the podium and accompanying accolades previously reserved for the Diva's. During the peak of the Rocket era they were reported as having imaging and transparency second to none and, specifically, as being more accurate than the Diva's. I think that Mark even said he used the B&W802's as a reference when designing the speaker. Now the RS 1000 Reference Speakers(distributed by AV123)are about to hit the scene and the tone and mood (from the distributor)appears to be changing. Now the Rockets are described as "being voiced specifically for Home Theater!" To paraphrase the owner: "The Rockets were designed primarily with HT in mind and not music. While they sound quite good for music, their strength is HT. The Reference line was designed to excel first and foremost in 2 channel music. Better quality crossovers and drivers."
It is also possible I could be imagining things...and reading too much between the lines. The above drivel is intended in no way to diminish the "actual" performance of the Rockets, nor take anything away from the exemplary customer service demonstrated by AV123 and all involved. I have done business with them and have been very satisfied!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Burke,

Thanks for the explanation. But what was the result of the "trade dress" issue?

Mike,

AV123 is going to have even more speakers in its stable soon....Rockets, Reference, MBL, and Strata lines. I think that may become difficult to market for them.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
The result of the Trade Dress issue was that AV123 was allowed to sell off their remaining stock of Diva speakers but then could no longer distribute the Diva line. I do think there was more to the story beyond "trade Dress" that is held close to the vest.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I guess there are some things we are missing in order to understand it all.

I have heard Rocket RS150's, RS750's, and the Ref1. Would like to hear some of their new offerings.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Why don't you fire Mark an e-mail and ask him? [email protected]

I have heard the Rockets, Divas, and the Reference series. I didn't like the Divas. I own Rockets and the Reference series just aren't for me.

The Rockets were built primarily for people who are 50/50 Music/HT. The Reference series are for those people who are more 90/10 Music/HT, or for those people who like a little brighter speaker.

AV123 is just expanding their line-up so that have a speaker to fit more tastes and budgets. The appearance of the RS1000 above the RS750 doesn't degrade the 750 in any way. It just means they'll be an even bigger, perhaps even better sounding speaker in the Rocket line-up.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Yeah Seth,

I think I will do that.

I'm not sure I agree the "different tastes and different budgets" approach. It seems to me that the budget dictates the sound in their lineup.

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
Rocket is one of the handful of brands I'm considering. Has anybody heard the new sub (UFW-10)Rocket is now taking orders for. Also has anybody heard the 550's?

One of the packages (#3) that includes the 550's as mains is offering the sub for an extra $199 for a special.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
The trade dress suit was against more than just Swans/AV123, it applied to all manufacturers that were making speakers with top mounted tweeters (KEF, Wharfdale,...). From what I've heard, many decided that they didn't want to deal with the legal hassles, even if they are in the right. They're too small to pay the legal bills and remain in business at the same time. The silly thing to me is that I believe KEF actually started making speakers with top mounted tweeters before B&W. I think I've heard they're still in the fight too.

I can't imagine Mark would ever characterize the Diva's as a "party speaker", he still speaks highly of them. He just has his own speakers to market now and is concentrating on them. I really like what they are doing with their different lines. I think each line represents the best speaker they can make for the money.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
I think the true test of any speaker is music - if a speaker can reproduce music, then it will also make a great home theater speaker. I don't believe the reverse holds true.

When I hear that a speaker is designed for home theater use, I can't help but feel it may have some shortcomings.

-Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks