What's new

When will Robinson Crusoe On Mars be released? (1 Viewer)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I have been waiting patiently for this movie for years now to be released on DVD. I didn't pick up the Critereon LD (I am now kicking myself for that). The high prices on Ebay show that there is a demand for this film. Anyone know if this is in the works?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
If I recall correctly, wasn't it established on a previous thread that Paramount were now in possession of the film?

I hope they try and license the extensive extras that accompanied Criterion's laserdisc. They only have to look at what it goes for on Ebay to realise what a goldmine they'd have on their hands.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, the man at Paramount has told us that he has screened the film in recent months and that he thinks "it's a lot of fun." But, he added, there are still no plans to put it into production. So, Paramount is aware there is interest in seeing this charming little film on DVD. We'll have to wait until the cost/benefit-analysis winds shift in our favor.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Well, the man at Paramount has told us that he has screened the film in recent months and that he thinks "it's a lot of fun." But, he added, there are still no plans to put it into production. So, Paramount is aware there is interest in seeing this charming little film on DVD. We'll have to wait until the cost/benefit-analysis winds shift in our favor.
Bummer. Would really like to have this one. Another of my favorites as a kid.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There's more that just "interest." This is one of the most in-demand science fiction films not yet on DVD, right along with INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, COLOSSUS and a special edition of FORBIDDEN PLANET.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Absolutely. I can't think of a Criterion laserdisc that goes for more - there's one on Ebay that's going for $123.71, with 8 hours still to go!

That, Paramount, is how much people want this special edition!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Y'know, I sometimes wonder if people at the studios look at Ebay, as that is as good a place as any to gauge catalogue title popularity. I was out-bid a few months ago on Robinson Crusoe On Mars - I think some middle-aged hippy in Arizona won it for $180! Lucky swine. :D

It's a gem of a film. Beautifully shot in Techniscope. The Criterion has some damn tasty extras, but I fear we won't see them on any future Paramount DVD. I don't think that Criterion has any working relationship with Paramount, like they do with Universal or Anchor Bay.

Paramount have been smart enough to put together a nice edition of Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, so I'm sure they will eventually get around to Crusoe. But I want to see If... on DVD first! :D

Gordy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I was fortunate enough to have purchased the "Robinson Crusoe On Mars" LD at regular retail prices years ago. :laugh: :laugh: I'd spring for a SE DVD in a second. I agree that the auction prices at eBay can be a nice gauge of interest. I buy catalog titles like this almost exclusively, so I'm usually stuck with the short end of the stick when it comes to cost/benefit-analysis on old titles. It almost makes me yearn for the old days when the Studios churned out catalog titles on Laserdisc at a high rate.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
1/2

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
$123 is a fraction of what the LD used to bring at auction. In the last two years, demand for all laserdiscs, including rare ones, has dropped considerably. I've seen this title sell for more than $300 in the past.
You can wait for years to get it for $15 on DVD, or you can buy the laserdisc and enjoy it now. They pop up on Ebay all the time.

I sold my LD several years ago, as I thought it to be a silly film and I couldn't justify keeping it, given the price it would fetch at auction.

Charlie

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
I got my laserdisc for $9.95!

It was at a small time collectable store dealing in rare movie collectables.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Well, since Paramount is releasing more obscure films such as Joseph Andrews & Star Spangled Girl on DVD, I would have to think that Robinson Crusoe on Mars will eventually make it's way on DVD. I can guarantee Paramount that it will sell more copies than those 2 titles.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen "Phase IV" mentiuoned in this thread. I have a LD of it that has laser rot. A new DVD would be welcomed.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Come on Paramount - give us a lovely new transfer, licence all the Criterion extras and put the DVD out. It's like printing money! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks