Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

When will Robinson Crusoe On Mars be released?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#141 of 158 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 12:20 AM

I'm awaiting my preorder as well. Nice to add to the ranks of classic sci-fi films in my collection. There's something about the sci-fi films of the real life space age that are just bursting with possibility and vision, even the more pessimistic ones.

#142 of 158 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted September 15 2007 - 11:08 AM

Just viewed it and it looks great!

One other thing, it's DD 1.0, so you only get the center speaker...how lame is that!

I haven't gone over what was on the LD and compared it to the DVD, I'll let someone else do that.

I watched it on a ISFed Mit CRT RPTV 65711, so when I say it looks good, it looks pretty good.

Since the SFX are pretty crude (Considering the budget) they will really show up when it comes out in high def.

I would love to retire my LD, but it was signed across the front cover by both stars a few years back at a special screening.

All in all, a great addition to anyones sci fi collection!!!
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#143 of 158 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 15 2007 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sparks
Just viewed it and it looks great! As you know, Criterion has gone BD exclusive for now, so we'll see it at the end of the year in high def!

!

really?

i didnt get the memo.
do you have a link?
facebook.com/whotony

#144 of 158 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted September 15 2007 - 11:34 AM

John Sparks seems to have blown a fuse! Posted Image

#145 of 158 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted September 15 2007 - 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon McMurphy

...and your point is?

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#146 of 158 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted September 15 2007 - 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
really?

i didnt get the memo.
do you have a link?

My mistake, I was thinking of Anchor Bay, post edited.

#147 of 158 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted September 15 2007 - 12:00 PM

Quote:
One other thing, it's DD 1.0, so you only get the center speaker...how lame is that!
Not lame at all. It has always been Criterion's policy to preserve the original theatrical presentation as much as possible by offering the audio only in it's original format. There have been a few instances in which this policy has been circumvented by special request of the film's director, but such cases are relatively rare.

#148 of 158 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts

Posted September 15 2007 - 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon McMurphy

dont get it.
facebook.com/whotony

#149 of 158 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted September 15 2007 - 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Newcomb
Not lame at all. It has always been Criterion's policy to preserve the original theatrical presentation as much as possible by offering the audio only in it's original format. There have been a few instances in which this policy has been circumvented by special request of the film's director, but such cases are relatively rare.

I just played the Criterion LD and it offers Digital Stereo out of the front 3 speakers. Don't know if this was an option (stereo) at the time of the film, but I wonder why Criterion didn't offer it on the SD?

#150 of 158 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted September 15 2007 - 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
dont get it.

Being a firefighter with LA City Fire, the phrase "We have a loom up" means we see smoke rising from a fire in the distance. Some other cities use the phrase "We have a header." Also, he's being a wise guy in his response to one of my posts...takes all kinds.

#151 of 158 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted September 15 2007 - 12:49 PM

John, calm down, I was just jesting! Sheesh! Posted Image

Tony... John Sparks has blown a fuse. Fuses spark when they... ah, forget it. He made an honest mistake, but originally, it sounded like he had went a bit mad in saying that Criterion had gone HD/Blu-Ray all of a sudden. Being a Criterion Forum.org member, I know that he would have gotten much worse comments than the light humour I threw his way, believe me. In any case, apologies, John, no offense was intended.

#152 of 158 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted September 16 2007 - 05:41 AM

Quote:

Two things...

The film soundtrack is mono. "Only" coming out of the center speaker is exactly correct.

Second, since this is DVD and not HD DVD or Blu-ray, we are getting highly compressed Dolby Digital. All the bits for the soundtrack encode will go to one channel instead of being split to two.

Not lame.

#153 of 158 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted September 16 2007 - 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George
Two things...

The film soundtrack is mono. "Only" coming out of the center speaker is exactly correct.

Second, since this is DVD and not HD DVD or Blu-ray, we are getting highly compressed Dolby Digital. All the bits for the soundtrack encode will go to one channel instead of being split to two.

Not lame.

Please read post #149.

#154 of 158 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted September 16 2007 - 07:09 PM

No "official" review(s)! :-(
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#155 of 158 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 03:45 AM

John:

I still haven't seen any official news from Criterion saying they are going HD, only stuff on the fan forum. There isn't an announcement I can find stating this title will be released at the end of the year on HD. Can you please provide some backup for your claim?

#156 of 158 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 06:55 AM

post #146
Quote:
My mistake, I was thinking of Anchor Bay, post edited.

facebook.com/whotony

#157 of 158 OFFLINE   Charles_Y

Charles_Y

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia suburbs

Posted September 18 2007 - 03:42 AM

Noted a few others "glee" regarding the cover art. If it is the version I see advertised out there,it is without a doubt some of the worst I've ever seen this year. A poorly rendered illustration with dull colors and focusing on Mona of all the characters, now THAT is lame!

The laserdisc sported some of the original artwork, which was ok I guess, though it was horribly dulled down with a rust orange as the predominant hue (referencing Mars I suppose). Nonetheless, other than that it was a great release.

Does anyone know how much of the special features from the original LD is being left out of this DVD release? I would like to know what is lacking as I'm sure Criterion is not likely to port everything over. Too bad.Posted Image

#158 of 158 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 11:14 PM

Got mine yesterday and I think it looks great. Dabbled in the special features for a few minutes, which I enjoyed. I like the cover art (which is by Bill Sienkeiwicz of Marvel Comics fame).

Looking forward to sitting down with the movie this week or this weekend.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow