-

Photo
- - - - -

Greenish Flickering Problem, Please help!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 06:26 PM

Hey guys,

I've had my Panny PT47WX42 RPTV for about one month now. Been enjoying it tremendously, but a problem cropped up that I've been noticing recently, and it appears to have gotten worse.

I'll try to explain as much as I know of it, and maybe you guys can suggest something.

I noticed it first when I was watching Lost In Space DVD and had to take a bathroom break. I placed the image on pause. However, while the picture was paused, I noticed something peculiar - the image was flickering. At random the image would flicker to a slightly darker one, then lighter, then maybe even darker, at random times and at random amounts. The 'flickers' also appeared to have a greenish hue to them. I.e, when the flickers happen, the blacks looked more green than black. Its like the image takes on a greenish hue to varying degrees with each flicker.

After that happened I started to notice it sometimes even when watching moving images.

Last night I returned from work to watch some cable TV, and it was happening pretty frequently and sometimes at very obvious degrees. I tend to be very sensitive to things like these and can be obsessive, but this is something that affects my enjoyment, and at its current state I don't think it's nitpicking at all.

I've tried to explain it the best I could, I hope that someone can give me some advice.

The TV is just over a month old, and the store's exchange/return policy (no questions asked) only lasts 30 days. This might be under Panny's warranty now.

So, what do you guys think? Anyone ever experience this?

I should also add the TV hasn't been used much, probably less than 100 hours total viewing time. Maybe at 75 hours total.

Thanks a bunch guys, I appereciate any input.

Sam

#2 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 05:58 AM

Bumpy bump.

Come on guys, someone's gotta know something.

Posted Image

#3 of 26 SteveRS

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 06:45 AM

This sounds exactly like the infamous Sony flicker caused by defective CRT's.
In the case of Sony the impregnated cathode detached causing fluctuations in the grid voltage.
This caused the grayscale to flicker green or red depending on which CRT was defective.
Equipment--
Sony KP-65WV700, DVP-S9000ES, TA-E9000ES, TA-P9000ES
Aragon 8008X5
PSB Stratus Goldi mains
PSB C6i centerPSB Stratus Silver surroundsM&K MX-125 mk2SVS 16-46PC idrYS Audio MK2 tube preampDish 6000 (8VSB/8PSK)

#4 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 06:54 AM

But my TV isn't a CRT...

Any comments from Panny PT owners?

#5 of 26 joey mr

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 08:12 AM

yes your panny is a crt based set you have 3 crt's green blue red and yes it does sound like the dreaded flicker problem Posted Image

but that is strange because panny is not known for this issue but i think you should call panny and let them know the problem you have Posted Image

wish you luck Posted Image

#6 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 08:47 AM

I just called the Panny Service Center that's close to me.

Had to leave a message. If I'm lucky I'll get a call back.

Ugh.

This sucks. I got a three day weekend coming up and I was gonna pick up an Xbox to enjoy on my Panny.

That just went down the drains. Posted Image

The manual says I have a 2 year parts and labour warranty with in-home service. Which is nice to know. Hopefully they'll take care of me.

#7 of 26 Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 08:56 AM

You know what, I've noticed something like this before on a friend's 4yr.old Mitsubishi 60" big screen. I'll be watching it and every so often I'll notice a brief greenish/whitish flash in a cetain part of the picture.It happens so fast I wasn't sure if anybody else notices it. Also I notice that if I make quick eye movements I'll see it. I thought maybe I was starting to have some kind of eye problem,lol! I want to say I only noticed it when they played a dvd too.

#8 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 05:48 AM

Allrighty,

Called the Authorized Repair Center, ie subcontracted, and they said they will try and schedule someone to come in either today or tomorrow.

The person on the phone said that they'll likely have to bring the TV in to their shop and do "testing" from there.

Hmmm, I thought I was getting in-home service. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of them taking it with them.

Is this common practice?

Thanks

#9 of 26 joey mr

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 09:18 AM

to be honest when it comes down to rptv's i will usally check the set there and then if i can come back to do the repair there i will and i will only bring the tv with me if i have no idea what the problem is ( but that is last resort )

Posted Image

#10 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Joey.

I'll try and get the tech to do it here.

Hopefully it's not too big of a job.

If this is the same issue as what the Sonys experienced, what will be the fix? Replace the Green CRT?

#11 of 26 joey mr

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 29 2003 - 01:17 AM

some times with the panny that i have heard is Circuit problems on the crt board or to be honest it could be alot of things Posted Image but until they figure out what it is i am not going to take a guess that would not be a smart thing on my part Posted Image

but let us all know how everthing goes with the fix

ps if it is the crt's make sure he does a convergence on the tv and make sure while he is at it have him do the grey scale if possible Posted Image

ps make sure the Geometry is good to

#12 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 29 2003 - 06:19 AM

Is the convergence that a tech might do different from the convergence I can do myself using the basic menus?

Ie, is there a service menu convergence?

#13 of 26 joey mr

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 29 2003 - 07:20 AM

well to do a 64 point convergence you have to be in service mode Posted Image

#14 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 30 2003 - 08:12 AM

So the tech came in today.

He saw the flickers, did some tests, and said the best best right now is to simply order a new Green CRT.

So I'll be getting that in a week.

Posted Image

#15 of 26 joey mr

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 30 2003 - 08:53 AM

make sure that he does what i told you ,if he replaces a crt

and will it be a in home service job, well it sounds like it will be ,right Posted Image

#16 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 30 2003 - 11:26 AM

Yup, in home.

And I asked about the convergence, he said that'll have to be done if a CRT is replaced anyway.

I pointed out I had a slight geometry problem, but he said it was very slight, so he might not fix that.

Joey, what's greyscale?

Sam

#17 of 26 joey mr

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 30 2003 - 04:42 PM

well i don't want to get long winded about gray scale but her is a link that talks about it

http://www.keohi.com....ltlv_tips.html

Posted Image

#18 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 07:27 PM

Thanks Joey.

I'll keep you posted on how everything goes.

Thanks again for the on going comments.

#19 of 26 joey mr

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 31 2003 - 10:47 PM

Sam Pat you are very welcome Posted Image

#20 of 26 Sam Pat

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 05:13 PM

Joey mr,

An update, in case you were still interested.

The tech came today and replaced my green CRT, along with doing the convergence. I was at work so I wasn't exactly sure what else he did. But during his first visit I got the impression he knew his stuff.

So far so good, flickers are gone.

Gonna give it some hours of watching and hopefully it's been resolved.