Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What do YOU do with DVDs you no longer want?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 05:29 PM

With a little bit over 400 DVDs so far, my collection of DVDs that I no longer want (either because I hate the movie and I bought it blind, or because I upgraded to a special edition) is almost up to 40. I tried selling them on ebay, and on the selling/trading thread here at the HTF, but that didn't work. I guess that many people don't like the movies that I'm trying to sell either. What do you guys do to get rid of the movies you no longer want? 40 DVDs are taking a huge space on my DVD shelf, and I could use that precious space to store DVDs that I love!

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,478 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 24 2003 - 06:10 PM

Re-sell.

I have a stack of 8 DVDs waiting to be sold. (Whenever I remember to put them up for auction on amazon)

However, don't go through the trouble of trying to re-sell something like Madacy's Metropolis. You might as well use as an expensive coaster.

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Devin U

Devin U

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 06:21 PM

I will do a couple of things. First, post on the trade boards. I use the trade boards here sometimes, but most often, I use dvdtalk.com. Their trade boards seem to be a little more active, and you'll find many of the members who frequent the trade boards here over there as well. And when I cant get rid of them that way, I will usualy check out sites like skinnyguy.com or spun.com. They buy and sell used DVD's. since their is no store to pay for, less overhead and they usualy pay a little more that stores in your town may. These sites are good for trades. Ive never sold to spun.com (only bought), but at skinnyguy.com, they will ship out the selections you want first and send you prepaid packaging to send the dvds youre selling back. I wouldnt go through either if you want cash though, as they only pay about 50-60% of thier trade value in cash. If I want cash, I will first place a free classefied on Audiogon.com, or if I want it now, I will go to the Wherehouse or one of the other places around me that buy used dvds. And when all else fails, fleabay or the pawn shop.

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 06:22 PM

I try and resell as well. Most of the time I can, but sometimes there is just no interest. I either accept it as a drawback of the hobby or give it to a friend/family member.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks

Second Unit

• 381 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Ky

Posted July 25 2003 - 12:47 AM

E-bay. I've never had any trouble getting a decent price on e-bay.
Scott Shanks
Louisville, KY
My DVD Collection

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Nathan_R

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 12:55 AM

I pass them along to family members.
...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

GeorgiaHDTV.com

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 01:42 AM

they find a home on half.com

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 02:16 AM

Sell to friends. And if that doesn't work, and I really want to get rid of the movie, I take them down to my local pawn shop and unload them for $3-$4 per movie. I know that is not a lot, but it is better than them sitting just sitting there. Really the only time I sell movies is when a new special edition is coming out with better picture quality and better audio, like A Christmas Story and A Christmas Vacation. Hey anybody want my old copies???Posted Image
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 25 2003 - 02:18 AM

Usually I pawn them at a local non-chain DVD shop. Average about $10 a disk, depending on the title.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 02:54 AM

Yard Sale!
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Kenneth English

Kenneth English

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 03:08 AM

I give mine to friends or relatives who want them.

I tried selling some stuff on eBay one time but it was all such a monumental pain-in-the-ass for such an insignificant return that I've sworn off that path. I don't know how so many people have the patience to mess with re-selling stuff online.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:12 AM

Yeah, I think it is crazy that people spend the time on e-bay trying to sell old dvd's. Unless they have a lot of dvds they are getting rid of. It is not worth the hassle. And I can't beleive that a pawn store is giving you $10 a dvd, I mean they are going to turn around and sell it for $12. Thats not much of a profit to a pawn store.
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:29 AM

I have over 30 DVDs I want to get rid of but it's not worth the effort for me to sell them on e-bay either, especially since most of them are DVDs that have been re-released as special editions.

I'm not sure how much a used DVD store would give me but I don't expect it to be very much. I've been giving a few to friends & family, thankfully they aren't as obsessed as I am in having the newer edition.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   rin

rin

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:35 AM

I have plenty of friends and family with 4:3 TV's who get donations every time a disc gets re-issued with a new anamorphic transfer. Otherwise, I try to find trades for films I haven't seen yet.
rin

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:44 AM

Half.com is a heck of a lot easier for run-of-the-mill discs than eBay. But if you have an OOP disc of some value, eBay is where you'll get top dollar. Most of my extras/discards end up on half.com just for the hassle factor.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:45 AM

If you're in a more philanthropic mood, don't forget about your local library. It's a great way to make sure they are well stocked with OAR DVDs!
John - My DVDs

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:56 AM

I use Half.com to get rid of my DVDs. It's a lot easier listing and selling than using Ebay. I can usually get rid of just about anything as long as they are priced competitively with other seller's listings of a particular title.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think it is crazy that people spend the time on e-bay trying to sell old dvd's. Unless they have a lot of dvds they are getting rid of. It is not worth the hassle.
That's an absolutely ridiculous notion.

Knowing that a special edition "Monty Python: The Meaning of Life" is coming out, I sold my existing DVD and got back more on eBay than I paid for it. Apparently, a lot of people don't know that an SE is coming out.

Once you make an HTML template for your DVDs, all that you have to do is go back into it, edit what needs to be edited, and post it. It's not a hassle at all unless you make it a hassle for yourself. Posted Image

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 05:27 AM

They go in the garbage.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Zane Charron

Zane Charron

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 05:59 AM

I second JohnnyHK. I give quite a few of my unwanted DVDs and CDs to the library. I figure the use that people will get out of them is far greater than the few bucks you'd get for selling them. Unless you're really strapped for cash.

Libraries are a wonderful thing.